Are "skinny" / low sugar cocktails available?

Sailing breakaway in October. I have the UBP and am watching my sugar. Does anyone know if NCL makes any drinks with sugar-free or low-sugar mixers? I realize I can always have a vodka and club soda, a rum and diet Coke, and so forth (actually, does NCL serve Coke or Pepsi products?) but I do enjoy skinny margaritas and Piña Coladas if available. Do they have these, and, if so, in which bars? If not, can I bring my own mixers on board?

NCL serves Pepsi products.

I don't really remember "skinny" options ... they had a cocktail named "Skinny Tropicolada", but I'm not quite sure that it was really low-calorie. I liked it though ;)

Apparently they have changed their drinks menu though (raised prices, different drinks as far as I could piece together) so I'm not sure what the situation is now ...

They have diet sodas, if that works for you ... I tried the lemon/lime one one time, I wasn't the worst I guess.

But if you would prefer your own choice, you can carry on non-alcoholic beverages ...

My go to cruise drink is a "vodka mojito no sugar". I know it's only a vodka/club with muddled mint and lime, but it is my way of enjoying tropical beverages without costuming 500+ calories in 1 cup.

Type II diabetic here. My tropical drink is a vodka on the rocks with the juice of 2 fresh lemons. Very refreshing! :)

LuLu

Sailing breakaway in October. I have the UBP and am watching my sugar. Does anyone know if NCL makes any drinks with sugar-free or low-sugar mixers? I realize I can always have a vodka and club soda, a rum and diet Coke, and so forth (actually, does NCL serve Coke or Pepsi products?) but I do enjoy skinny margaritas and Piña Coladas if available. Do they have these, and, if so, in which bars? If not, can I bring my own mixers on board?

I found a bartender on the Getaway that would make margaritas with fresh lime and agave nectar instead of the "regular" sugary margarita mix... Ask around at different bars till you find who has the right stuff...

NCL carries TY KU low-calorie soju (40 proof) and citrus liqueur (34 proof). 60-65 calories for a 1.5 oz serving (compared to 120 calories for vodka, 150 calories for Cointreau). It's in the overproduced triangular bottle that lights up when you pick it up. :D

The only reason that those drinks are lower calorie than vodka is because they're lower alcohol content. You could have the exact same effect and calories from a shot of vodka as you would from two shots of those. The only calories you're getting in vodka is from the ethanol.

Not really any of my business, but if you are trying to watch your sugar intake, you're actually better off drinking regular soda over the diet varieties. The artificial sweeteners they use are actually very toxic to your body and more dangerous than regular sugar. I know the drink mixes they use to make a strawberry daiquiri for example are incredibly sugary, but sugar in moderation is okay. Have you considered going with the UDP instead? In order to get your money's worth with the beverage package you have to drink a ton of alcohol and no matter if it's real sugar free or not really won't matter in the long run. Sorry for the rant, but I'm just very educated in nutrition and health and hate to see people be misinformed. Good luck.

Not really any of my business, but if you are trying to watch your sugar intake, you're actually better off drinking regular soda over the diet varieties. The artificial sweeteners they use are actually very toxic to your body and more dangerous than regular sugar. I know the drink mixes they use to make a strawberry daiquiri for example are incredibly sugary, but sugar in moderation is okay. Have you considered going with the UDP instead? In order to get your money's worth with the beverage package you have to drink a ton of alcohol and no matter if it's real sugar free or not really won't matter in the long run. Sorry for the rant, but I'm just very educated in nutrition and health and hate to see people be misinformed. Good luck.

This is a widespread misconception. See this recent NY Times article that describes the actual science. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/28/upshot/the-evidence-supports-artificial-sweeteners-over-sugar.html

This is a widespread misconception. See this recent NY Times article that describes the actual science. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/28/upshot/the-evidence-supports-artificial-sweeteners-over-sugar.html

One of the 3 ingredients in aspartame (a common artificial sweetener) is aspartic acid, which is an amino acid. When your body breaks down aspartame, the free form of aspartic acid raises the aspartate and glutamate levels in your blood's plasma. The increased levels of aspartate and glutamate start to screw up your brain, as these both act as neurotransmitters. They tell your brain to release too much calcium into your cells which is very dangerous and kills those cells eventually. There is a barrier in your brain that helps protect from excess aspartate and glutamate but it's not perfect in adults and even less present in kids.

I could go on about the other 2 ingredients (phenylalanine and methanol) but I think I've made my point.

Your body needs natural sugar to perform cellular respiration. As long as it's not consumed in excesss, you're fine.

Edited by jmcookiemonster25