Input on making a copy of passport for shore excurions while actual is safe i...

Just got back from a Med cruise on the Allure with both pre and post days in Barcelona, as well as a stay in Paris. I made a color copy of our passports (mine, my husband's and my young son's), and kept that with me at all times (in a hidden pouch under a shirt, along with our DL for photo ID purposes). The originals were kept in the safes of our hotels and on the ship. We took turns as to who carried the undershirt pouch, and I had a TravelOn cross-body bag that held small amounts of Euros, 1 credit card, sunglasses, etc. Everything else (2nd credit card, debit card, hubby's wallet) stayed in safe at hotel/ship.

Barring any emergencies, you will only need original passports when traveling through airports, train stations, and embark/debark ship. Otherwise, no need to worry about getting them stolen as you wander tourist spots - a copy is all you need for emergencies.

Thankfully, we had no issues with pickpockets, but we did have to sternly turn away street vendors a few times, esp. at most crowded tourist spots (Eiffel Tower, Vatican, Pompeii).

Obviously you have traveled only by cruise ship and then to safe places like the Bahamas. When you have been around the world a few times by land, air and sea come back and talk to the adults.

So funny that you could be so wrong.

If you cannot understand that the risk of having your passport stolen, and the inconvenience that would bring, is far greater than the risk of missing the ship and needing a passport, then I cannot be bothered to try to explain to you.

Meantime don't forget your big boy pants for the formal nights.

Whilst you are in the baby room spitting out your dummy?

Go to the U.S. State Dept homepage and register for the STEP program. This registers your passport with the various U.S. Embassies related to your travel.

The odds of you missing the ship are very slim. U.S. Passports are worth big bucks to the professional pick pockets who gather in Barcelona. Keep it locked up.

Just got back from a Med cruise on the Allure with both pre and post days in Barcelona, as well as a stay in Paris. I made a color copy of our passports (mine, my husband's and my young son's), and kept that with me at all times (in a hidden pouch under a shirt, along with our DL for photo ID purposes). The originals were kept in the safes of our hotels and on the ship. We took turns as to who carried the undershirt pouch, and I had a TravelOn cross-body bag that held small amounts of Euros, 1 credit card, sunglasses, etc. Everything else (2nd credit card, debit card, hubby's wallet) stayed in safe at hotel/ship.

Barring any emergencies, you will only need original passports when traveling through airports, train stations, and embark/debark ship. Otherwise, no need to worry about getting them stolen as you wander tourist spots - a copy is all you need for emergencies.

Thankfully, we had no issues with pickpockets, but we did have to sternly turn away street vendors a few times, esp. at most crowded tourist spots (Eiffel Tower, Vatican, Pompeii).

Did the exact same thing on pre/post days in Barcelona and on the ship. They are good precautions when travelling in Europe.