Traditional Dining - Select vs Late Seating

shainky84

cynbar,

I hadn't considered that point. Thanks for raising it. I've heard that the Martini Bar is the go-to spot on the ship, so we'll be sure to visit a few (every?) nights. And especially glad to hear that the couples on your cruise had such a great experience.

Thanks.

Hank,

Thanks for sharing your story. Sounds like the best of both worlds - dining with new friends and having the flexibility to do it when you want. What a depressing thought to be the only couple seated at a table for 8. We will seriously consider staying with Select.

SantaFe,

We will certainly try Bistro. People keep raving about it, and I just heard a cruise podcast suggest that it's the best value for your money of any specialty restaurant on any line. Thanks.

Benjo,

Yikes, I can 8 or even 8:30, but 9:00 seems very late. Maybe its just an American preference, but that certainly gives me pause about going with late seating on a cruise with the potential for lost of European passengers.

Thanks.

Most people who suggest bistro seem to suggest it for lunch. We went there on the night of the lamb chop special and were the only people dining there that were not cruise ship employees.Loved the meal.

Mike,

Thanks so much for sharing your perspective on this issue. Perhaps its sort of generational thing - 20 years ago times were set, but today's cruiser likes the idea of flexibility. I tend to agree with you on going with the flow, especially on a vacation where the whole point is to let go of the time-bound world at home.

Until I started this thread, I did not know that Select ultimately can most of the same benefits as traditional dining, and so on your schedule.

Thanks!

OP, you didn't ask this but I'll throw it in, because it does relate to the dining question. If you haven't already done so, join your roll call for your cruise, Celebrity roll calls have their own message board. You may well meet up with some cruisers in advance whom you hit it off with. Plus, particularly in Europe, it's a great place to band together for small private tours. We had especially good luck doing this in Athens and Ephesus --- you can move around the sites much faster than the big bus tours, and see more in your allotted time in port. Plus, you may find yourself wanting to dine with some of them. You really get to know someone when you've hiked up the Acropolis together.

Bistro on 5 is an excellent choice for embarkation day to avoid the chaos in the buffet on that first day. We also dine there several times per cruise, both for breakfast and lunch. Try it - you may like it as much as we do.

We haven't tried it on embarkation day,though I think we will this time in Feb.(Eclipse)

SantaFe,

We will certainly try Bistro. People keep raving about it, and I just heard a cruise podcast suggest that it's the best value for your money of any specialty restaurant on any line. Thanks.

If you are REALLY hungry, you can have more than 1 crepe each. We usually do about 2 each.

Just a few more "hints." If you do get the late sitting and do not enjoy your tablemates, do not hesitate to stop at the Maitre'd s desk (after dinner) and ask for a different table. There will be others doing the same thing.

As to dining earlier on one or more nights, you do have a few options. You could make a reservation for one of the alternative restaurants or just have an early dinner in the Lido (buffet) area where the food offerings are similar to what is served in the MDR.

Hank

Wouldn't it be a hoot if they and the other couple they didn't enjoy each went to the Maitre'd to change and they both wound up at the other table together? :D

The entire table game can get interesting. Last December we were on our annual Eclipse cruise (14 days in the Caribbean) and messed up our own reservation which left us with 2nd seating traditional. We wanted Select, but it was completely full. When we boarded the ship we immediately went to the MDR to get changed to Select and were put on a very long wait list. So that evening we went to our assigned table only to find that there were already 4 persons sitting and only 1 chair left for DW and Moi. So the waiter quickly pulled over a chair and mentioned that somebody must have moved the chair. But he could not get the chair in place without 2 of the ladies (already at the table) moving their chairs. They refused to move and complained that there was just not enough room at the table for 6 persons (the 4 at the table were quite obese). The Maitre'd (who was summoned by the waiter) came over to the table and told the folks that they had to move. One of the men said, "you better not touch my wife's chair." (meanwhile we were standing back and trying hard not to burst out laughing). The poor Maitre'd was at wits end until I quietly suggested that perhaps he could put us somewhere else. On the way to our new table I complemented the Maitre d for keeping his temper...and then mentioned that we were on the Wait List for Select and would "appreciate" if he could help us out. During dinner he stopped at our "new table" and told us that as of the next night we were in Select.

Hank

Stay with select. We met an amazing couple in the queue to board our last cruise and with both being select we dined with them every night. Some nights we had people from the martini bar or our rol call excursions join us. Just gives more flexibility. Enjoy

The entire table game can get interesting. Last December we were on our annual Eclipse cruise (14 days in the Caribbean) and messed up our own reservation which left us with 2nd seating traditional. We wanted Select, but it was completely full. When we boarded the ship we immediately went to the MDR to get changed to Select and were put on a very long wait list. So that evening we went to our assigned table only to find that there were already 4 persons sitting and only 1 chair left for DW and Moi. So the waiter quickly pulled over a chair and mentioned that somebody must have moved the chair. But he could not get the chair in place without 2 of the ladies (already at the table) moving their chairs. They refused to move and complained that there was just not enough room at the table for 6 persons (the 4 at the table were quite obese). The Maitre'd (who was summoned by the waiter) came over to the table and told the folks that they had to move. One of the men said, "you better not touch my wife's chair." (meanwhile we were standing back and trying hard not to burst out laughing). The poor Maitre'd was at wits end until I quietly suggested that perhaps he could put us somewhere else. On the way to our new table I complemented the Maitre d for keeping his temper...and then mentioned that we were on the Wait List for Select and would "appreciate" if he could help us out. During dinner he stopped at our "new table" and told us that as of the next night we were in Select.

Hank

What a story. You can't make that stuff up. Glad it worked out for you.

Hank

The way you dealt with it and the response of the M'd shows a nice human touch. I suspect though that you were quite happy to move given the vibes at that table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

We were in the Med for 28 days, 7 B2B on the Equinox. We booked 9 months in advance and requested Late seating at a table for 6 or more. Our first night we ended up at a table for 2. After 45 years of marriage eating by ourselves everyone night was not acceptable. The Maître D checked his computer and we were supposed to be a table for 6 or more. He made the changes and we eventually got to a table for 6, of which 2 were dined with us once and the other 4 times. The staff tried very hard on the next cruises but it is a problem with Specialty dining, Select dining etc. people sign up for one but then change once on board. It is a challenge for the Maitre D to schedule. People from Select show up because there is a long wait etc.

We were in the Med for 28 days, 7 B2B on the Equinox. We booked 9 months in advance and requested Late seating at a table for 6 or more. Our first night we ended up at a table for 2. After 45 years of marriage eating by ourselves everyone night was not acceptable. The Maître D checked his computer and we were supposed to be a table for 6 or more. He made the changes and we eventually got to a table for 6, of which 2 were dined with us once and the other 4 times. The staff tried very hard on the next cruises but it is a problem with Specialty dining, Select dining etc. people sign up for one but then change once on board. It is a challenge for the Maitre D to schedule. People from Select show up because there is a long wait etc.

Wow. That sounds terrible. I'm sorry to hear about that experience but I thank you for sharing it...I've heard some people who swear by Early or Late, but I'm finding that more and more people opt for the freedom of Select.