A thousand and one Holland Questions - Help!

Tess2mommies

The last time we were on the Veendam we had 2 cards, one for S&S and a separate door card. This could have changed, maybe someone who has cruised more recently on her can answer this.......jean :cool:

We've never had a separate card--our most recent cruise was 5/21 on the Zui. The only separate card was the soda card, which we didn't even have last time because they went to the "Coke" sticker on the key/sign and sail card.

Our first cruise was on the Veendam in 12/01--we only had 1 card then, too...

We've never had a separate card--our most recent cruise was 5/21 on the Zui.

The newer ships have one card for two---and sometimes three---purposes. On the older ships there is a key-card for the cabin door, as well as the S & S card. When on the ship most of the time you need only your cabin key, but you also need your S & S card and photo I.D. when you leave the ship.

I can't specifically remember how it works on the Veendam, but the Maasdam still has separate cards.

DebC - I seem to remember 2 cards the last time I was on the Veendam in '04. It really doesn't matter if it's one or 2.

As Ruth said the newer ships now have one with your photo (you can't see it but the scanner can) . Don't know if the Veendam has gone this route yet, but you'll soon find out. Have a great trip. :D

The newer ships have one card for two---and sometimes three---purposes. On the older ships there is a key-card for the cabin door, as well as the S & S card. When on the ship most of the time you need only your cabin key, but you also need your S & S card and photo I.D. when you leave the ship.

I can't specifically remember how it works on the Veendam, but the Maasdam still has separate cards.

That's odd, because when we were on the Maasdam in 4/03, we only had the key card/sign & sail card. We still had to carry our photo ID when leaving the ship, but HAL only issued us the single card (and then we purchased the soda card)

I disembarked the Maasdam a month ago. There were (usually) two cards tucked in the left cup;) . (Always grabbed the wrong one:o .)

Love your "storage system"! :D HAL probably changed things since we sailed her 2 1/2 years ago (wow, it doesn't SEEM that long!). I'm one of those geeks who keeps everything from our cruises in binders--I've got both mine and DH's key cards from each cruise--don't ask me why!! I've still even saved our old WDW multi-day cards from when we used to take the kids to see the giant Mouse every year.....:o

We were on Veendam in April and we had two cards. THe door key was a flat card that had a pattern of holes in one end. Ours had to have just the right body-english applied to get it to work. My wife never really did get the hang of it.

I suspect that the newer ships may have electronic door locks and combine the functions in one card. Perhaps, when Veendam goes in for her drydock in January, they will replace the door locks.

The S&S card, IIRC, also serves as your boarding pass, so don't forget to take it with you when you go ashore. Actually, I don't think they will let you off the ship without it. That's their way of knowing if all the passengers are back aboard.

OKAY!! Now that we have the key situation figured out---how about the SAFE?

Can we enter our own number combination or do we have to scan a card? If it is a card swipper, can we just use our SandS card?

Thanks again!! Deb C.

OKAY!! Now that we have the key situation figured out---how about the SAFE?

Can we enter our own number combination or do we have to scan a card? If it is a card swipper, can we just use our SandS card?

Thanks again!! Deb C.

OK, here I go again....

On the Veendam, Maasdam, and Zaandam (at LEAST when we were on them) you had to "swipe" a card to get in and out of the safe--I just used my AAA card (any card with a swipe strip on it)...

On the Zuiderdam, when we were on it in May, you could pick your own combination....

Great! I'll have my AAA card with me. I just don't like to use my Visa card for such purposes (in case I accidentally leave it laying around :eek: --would prefer to keep it locked INSIDE the safe).

csg99: Thanks for your prompt replies! Deb C.

Yes, The soda card is well worth it. I think on the 10 day cruises it is about 43.00, if you order it from the website in advance, you do not have to pay the 15% service charge, so you save a little bit more. they pour mostly from cans, but do not give you the can. It is supposed to be for fountain drinks, but most of the bars do not have the fountains, hence the cans.

Great! I'll have my AAA card with me. I just don't like to use my Visa card for such purposes (in case I accidentally leave it laying around :eek: --would prefer to keep it locked INSIDE the safe).

csg99: Thanks for your prompt replies! Deb C.

My thinking exactly! ;) Have a wonderful cruise--I'm jealous! After our 11/13 on the Westerdam, we're going back to the smaller ships--we love them!:D

Jean Deb C. Hi there, the Veedam hasn't undergone her SOE hard goods yet so I imagine the double keys are the same as before. On the Oosterdam we got cans with our soda card so many cans for so much $$ we didn't care for it as much as the fountain drinks . We plan to purchase them on the Panama cruise. Can you guys believe it's only FIVE DAYS to go.....Hooray!!!!!!!!

Kakalina: Remember that is only 5 days more for YOU! We don't leave until the end of Oct. :( If you plan to stay onboard for the 29th sailing, be sure to come to the Crow's Nest after the lifeboat drill and meet with us. You will be a "pro" at the Veendam by then. You can fill us in on everything!!;) Bon voyage, Trisha!!:cool:

We have decided that we really want to book this cruise. The doctor won't give us the go ahead to go on the cruise until Mid-October. Which means we can't book until Mid-October, however Southwest has $49 each way airfare to San Diego airport, (cruise leaves from San Diego), are there any last minutes specials offered on Holland? Should I worry about the cabin prices going sky high or them selling out? This is for the Mexican Rivera Sea of Cortez on the Ryndam Dec 17th.

Thanks again

Archived