Redeeming BOA points with TA booking

I'm positive this has been answered before, but the search function wasn't much help today.

I used some BOA points that were about to expire for $500 off on a cruise that was already paid in full (and past final payment date now). I was under the impression that using these points would not reduce the commissionable fare and my TA was told the same before I redeemed.

They now seem to be telling her that her commission will be reduced so she is telling me that she will have to adjust the OBC provided by her agency.

Anyone know what the truth is on this? Has there been a recent change in policy on this or was I mistaken? Otherwise I would have just used the points for OBC. Since I already have a substantial amount of OBC from my agent I decided for the price reduction instead.

I'm pretty sure I am cancelling this card after this trip. Redemptions aren't as good as they were when I signed up and it's too much to hassle with unless I am not using a TA.

It has been my understanding that using the Visa points for a cruise discount will affect (reduce) the travel agent's commission. That is one reason that the discount has to be approved by the travel agent before Royal applies it.

If you knew you were going to spend that $500 on board, then you could use it for OBC and not affect the travel agent's commission.

I'm positive this has been answered before, but the search function wasn't much help today.

I used some BOA points that were about to expire for $500 off on a cruise that was already paid in full (and past final payment date now). I was under the impression that using these points would not reduce the commissionable fare and my TA was told the same before I redeemed.

They now seem to be telling her that her commission will be reduced so she is telling me that she will have to adjust the OBC provided by her agency.

Anyone know what the truth is on this? Has there been a recent change in policy on this or was I mistaken? Otherwise I would have just used the points for OBC. Since I already have a substantial amount of OBC from my agent I decided for the price reduction instead.

I'm pretty sure I am cancelling this card after this trip. Redemptions aren't as good as they were when I signed up and it's too much to hassle with unless I am not using a TA.

Anytime the cruise fare is reduced for whatever reason, the commission will be reduced. It would be the same if RCI reduced your cruise fare due to a price reduction.

When redeeming points off a cruise, you are supposed to notify your TA before redeeming them.

Adjusting an OBC given as a perk from a TA is nothing new and is a question that should be asked before booking.

Edited by cruisenfever

Anytime the cruise fare is reduced for whatever reason, the commission will be reduced. It would be the same if RCI reduced your cruise fare due to a price reduction.

When redeeming points off a cruise, you are supposed to notify your TA before redeeming them.

Adjusting an OBC given as a perk from a TA is nothing new and is a question that should be asked before booking.

My TA was aware beforehand and she and her supervisor made a call to RCI to verify. It was explained to them that the commission would not be reduced. That redeeming my points was the equivalent to me making a payment on my booking.

Is it too late to change the redemption (done on 6/17) to OBC instead?

My TA was aware beforehand and she and her supervisor made a call to RCI to verify. It was explained to them that the commission would not be reduced. That redeeming my points was the equivalent to me making a payment on my booking.

Is it too late to change the redemption (done on 6/17) to OBC instead?

I would call the Royal Redemption people at 888-305-4626 and see if they can help.

Thanks Bob & Patti for the advice.

Thought I had all my bases covered to protect my existing OBC from travel agent. Couldn't be reversed because they applied it finally today after she contacted them. I'll still come out way ahead.

Oh well, I got a steal on our room and I cashed out the remaining points for OBC and will cancel the card soon after my sailing. I have other cards that are way more lucrative. We got round trip business class to Rome for this trip on points from sign up bonus on a card I signed up for last year.

I don't have any room to complain, just frustrated with myself for thinking that a RCI rep for once knew what they were talking about. :rolleyes:

...I don't have any room to complain, just frustrated with myself for thinking that a RCI rep for once knew what they were talking about. :rolleyes:

Many of us here have experienced that same frustration.

Thanks Bob & Patti for the advice.

I don't have any room to complain, just frustrated with myself for thinking that a RCI rep for once knew what they were talking about. :rolleyes:

I feel your pain and know exactly what you are talking about.:p Just have a great time on your cruise.

From my experience in the past, redeeming points to equal a $500 amount towards payment of a cruise has never impacted my TA's commission.

What I don't understand is that from reading your post -- did you try to redeem them AFTER final payment and therefore after your cruise had been paid in full?

The BofA Reward is called a Cruise Discount -- therefore to me it would need to be redeemed prior to final payment, so that the balance that the cruiser has to pay for their final payment is lower. My TA has always explained the redemption as if it was a payment being made towards the cruise.

Edited by Paulette3028

What I don't understand is that from reading your post -- did you try to redeem them AFTER final payment and therefore after your cruise had been paid in full?

On the advice of the redemption department... I paid my cruise in full (final payment date was just two weeks away and has since passed) and then they were to apply the discount which would result in a credit for $500 being placed on my card since my cruise would be overpaid.

I waited a month and never received the credit and when I contacted them about this they said to have my TA call in and they would get it taken care of. She called them today and they immediately applied it and informed my TA that it would reduce her commission.

On the advice of the redemption department... I paid my cruise in full (final payment date was just two weeks away and has since passed) and then they were to apply the discount which would result in a credit for $500 being placed on my card since my cruise would be overpaid.

I waited a month and never received the credit and when I contacted them about this they said to have my TA call in and they would get it taken care of. She called them today and they immediately applied it and informed my TA that it would reduce her commission.

I have never had a problem redeeming nor has my TA lost commission. I also have never been redeeming points that were close to 'expiring' either though.

Last year I redeemed enough points for a free companion fare on our Allure cruise. I went through my TA . I asked her if this would reduce her commission. She said it wouldn't. Imagine our surprise when it did reduce her commission. It was news to both of us. This was the first time that she had dealt with redeeming RCCL cruise Visa points towards a companion fare (our first time too) so we both learned from the experience.

If the OP was able to get the $500 moved over to OBC, what would happen if she didn't spend it all? Does it go poof, go back to being points, or show up as a credit on her CC?

Visa Points OBC is refundable, so can be cashed out, or automatically refunded to the credit card.

If the OP was able to get the $500 moved over to OBC, what would happen if she didn't spend it all? Does it go poof, go back to being points, or show up as a credit on her CC?

In the end it all worked out. I got the $500 credit back to my CC and my TA didn't reduce their OBC. She didn't say whether or not their commission was reduced. Regardless she has earned my continued business.