Is the American Table food THAT bad?

Ariel0185

I hope that if you tell your waitstaff that you do not want a bottle of wine on the table, they would remove it & not bring one every night. I sometimes bring a glass of wine with me to the table.

They probably don't. The bottles have the number hanging on them to show what the table number is- which helps the host seat diners and the waiters determine what their station is.

They probably don't. The bottles have the number hanging on them to show what the table number is- which helps the host seat diners and the waiters determine what their station is.

I posted before realizing that it had the table # on it. We usually have a 2-top & it will be pretty crowded with the water bottle, wine bottle, & bread basket on it.

We are not picky eaters but as others explained. we also felt it was hit or miss. We just picked the nights (1-2 night) that nothing really looked that great and went to the Steakhouse or Italian Restaurants;)

The old menu has some nights that nothing interests is.

I had the new menu on Liberty and loved it. I thought the veal parm and the beef Wellington were especially good. I liked being able to order whipped potatoes and broccoli nightly (well broccoli almost nightly). I liked the choices better than the old menu.

In July we went on Dream and had the old menu. I do think it's time to make some changes as that menu has been in existence forever it seems. I still will never understand why ribs are served on the first elegant night. The one thing I liked on the old menu that's not on the new one is fried chicken. That is a standby for me when I don't like the choices. I love salmon, but on both menus it's served with the skin on and I just can't eat it when it's cooked with the skin.

I think there are people who say they don't like the new menu because they have either not tried it, or tried it when it first started which was before it was tweaked to what it is now. I'm one who wishes it were on all ships.

This is not limited to Carnival, but is true for most of the cruise lines to varying degrees.

In the "old days" one would cruise for the dining and entertainment. There would be breakfast, lunch, dinner and a midnight buffet. The dining in the MDR was characterized by very elegant waiters and service, and excellent food, as much as you could eat.

Needless to say this was quite costly, and cost conscious lines such as Carnival realized that cutting costs in the MDR, as well as in the buffets would hold down costs. They had there waiters service a larger number of tablets cutting down service. They also went to cheaper or less costly meals. I might also mention that the midnight buffet has become a thing in the past.

Their estimate was that the majority of cruises wouldn't care in respect to the quality or service. The American Experience is the most recent step in this cost cutting. I do expect that one of the lines will eventually move to unlimited buffet, but a surcharge for waiter or waitress service.

PS... The entertainment has also gone in the same direction.

This is not limited to Carnival, but is true for most of the cruise lines to varying degrees.

In the "old days" one would cruise for the dining and entertainment. There would be breakfast, lunch, dinner and a midnight buffet. The dining in the MDR was characterized by very elegant waiters and service, and excellent food, as much as you could eat.

Needless to say this was quite costly, and cost conscious lines such as Carnival realized that cutting costs in the MDR, as well as in the buffets would hold down costs. They had there waiters service a larger number of tablets cutting down service. They also went to cheaper or less costly meals. I might also mention that the midnight buffet has become a thing in the past.

Their estimate was that the majority of cruises wouldn't care in respect to the quality or service. The American Experience is the most recent step in this cost cutting. I do expect that one of the lines will eventually move to unlimited buffet, but a surcharge for waiter or waitress service.

PS... The entertainment has also gone in the same direction.

Yes in the old days of cruising (the 70s & 80s let's say) cruising was an entirely different experience. It was about the food and quality of service and ports of call. The ship's features were nearly an afterthought as long as the basics were supplied now it's the complete opposite. Now the ship is the destination in many cases as ports may be very limited even on a 7 night cruise. For years I bemoaned the need for an "All Inclusive" option but I feel that in adding this other service perks have vanished. Food quality has gotten consistently poorer with maybe one good option of each category per night in the MDR. I do commend cruise lines though for adding options at a non-ridiculous price point. It gives those of us who remember elegant service the chance to experience it.

I also always keep in mind that the cost of cruising for an average passenger has not increased in the 27 years I have been cruising, it's probably actually decreased. Yes room options have expanded regarding accommodations (balcony berths have not always been an option) but base interior/exterior pricing is pretty close to what it was in the 80s.

We had the American Table this summer on the Glory and liked it VERY much. We were getting a little bored with the old menus. The Port of Call options are good and fun. My kid usually orders very boring items like cheese pizza. But this trip he tried so many entrees. He just loved loved loved most of the pastas. A couple were extremely good. there were even a couple of meals where the boys ordered 2nd rounds of the entree.

We like both menus but if I had to choose, we'd go with the new menus hands down.

The old menu has some nights that nothing interests is.

Exactly. I'm not thrilled about the look of the new menu (will find out in 2 weeks...) but the last menu set there was always a night or two where there was nothing I wanted to eat.

Now, the menu before that. Those were great.

Our experience (10 Carnival cruises) makes me think that the skills of the particular chef and his kitchen crew has more to do with the quality of the meals than does the menu. We have had the same dish on different cruises and had it be excellent one time and only fair another.

I will second your opinion. In 2013 we were lucky enough to cruise in July, September and November. Three different ship but the same menus. July on the Miracle the food was beyond belief delicious. Every meal was a delight. We even enjoyed lunch on the Lido.

Two months later on the Magic we had such bad experiences including one night in the steakhouse. Every meal in the MDR seemed to have something wrong. From under cooked pasta, cold entrees and mixed up orders. Thank goodness for the Deli and Room Service. The food was so bad hubby said he wouldn't sail the Magic again. (We did one year later and the food was fine)

Two more months and we were on the Conquest. Again the same menus but the food was fantastic.

So three ships within four months but the same menu on all with vastly different experiences

I am keeping an open mind regarding the new menus. I made sure I have my favorites in June on the Triumph and look forward to new adventures in eating on the Freedom in December.

I've had both the "old" menus and American Table and loved both, but preferred American Table. It sounds like when it first rolled out, there were some poor choices that were quickly fixed. That soured some people. A lot of others just don't like change. That leaves those who tried it with an open mind and genuinely didn't like it and those of us that love it. With that in mind, take opinions on it with a grain of salt and give it a try! :)

I've had both the "old" menus and American Table and loved both, but preferred American Table. It sounds like when it first rolled out, there were some poor choices that were quickly fixed. That soured some people. A lot of others just don't like change. That leaves those who tried it with an open mind and genuinely didn't like it and those of us that love it. With that in mind, take opinions on it with a grain of salt and give it a try! :)

I will! I can't wait to board the Magic this Sunday👙

We just returned from a cruise on the Magic. It had the American Table/feast menu. The selections were limited so I ended up eating grilled Chicken which was good, but tiring. One night we decided to go to the Lido, and was very surprised at the limited selection there also. I do prefer the old menu, however there is always something to eat and I don't have to prepare the food so I am happy. I will have to say that the food served at Brunch and Breakfast in the Dining room was always very good.

I am not a fan of the new menu. Food was ordinary in taste and did not like the selection. Certainly did not go hungry. I found food in lido to be great and selection good. If we were not with 12 others, we would have skipped MDR a few of the nights. .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We just returned from a cruise on the Magic. It had the American Table/feast menu. The selections were limited so I ended up eating grilled Chicken which was good, but tiring. One night we decided to go to the Lido, and was very surprised at the limited selection there also. I do prefer the old menu, however there is always something to eat and I don't have to prepare the food so I am happy. I will have to say that the food served at Brunch and Breakfast in the Dining room was always very good.

There are at least 10-12 entree options on the new menus. What is limited?

As I said before, the lido usually has the same options that the MDR has.

• 2 weeks later...

Both menus are ok but I felt repetitive - especially when on a short cruise like on the Imagination. Didn't feel there was much difference on either menu, they just changed the name. Food was good but... I'll be on the Dream in January so not sure if I'm hoping they add it to that ship before then or not.

We've done American Table several time... The first was when it was brand new, and being tried on the Glory.. The shared appetizer with strangers was odd, as was the no table clothes... Then we did it again on the Liberty, then Fast forward... On the Breeze in May, we had a tablecloth each night, the food was delicious, and I really enjoyed it.

Things change.. Preferences differ... It happens. I personally enjoy it

The apps are shared? How does this work? Like the big platter of nachos in a Mexican restaurant and everyone has a little plate?what if a table mate is a double dipper[emoji33]I don't see how this can be fine dining, guess I will find out on the Triumph in 10 days.

The apps are shared? How does this work? Like the big platter of nachos in a Mexican restaurant and everyone has a little plate?what if a table mate is a double dipper[emoji33]I don't see how this can be fine dining, guess I will find out on the Triumph in 10 days.

I've sailed a few times with the new menus and nothing shared was brought to our table. When they first rolled out that was the intention, but I suspect it didn't go over very well.

I am not a fan of the new menu. Food was ordinary in taste and did not like the selection. Certainly did not go hungry. I found food in lido to be great and selection good. If we were not with 12 others, we would have skipped MDR a few of the nights. .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I loved the creamed spinach and the roasted vegetables...but NOT every freakin' night. So much of the new menus is repeated on multiple nights!

I had the American Table menu on the Glory last year, and was missing it in May while cruising on the Legend! I will be very happy to have it again on the Breeze. I really like the pork chop.

I had a similar experience on both ships. Can't wait for American Table on Vista in May!

Edited by LMW1330

• 3 months later...
I really don't care for the American Table menu. I don't eat any fish or seafood and I think the quality of the beef in the MDR is not good. so that doesn't leave me many choices. I had chicken, pasta and pork. The other nights we went to the lido buffet or the steakhouse.

I should add that it's not terrible. The service was still good but the food was mediocre.

I just came off of the Carnival Triumph and agree with you.

The food we had was pedestrian at best.

Carnival has also taken the lobster off of the elegant night menu giving you the opportunity to purchase the lobster for $20.

I just came off of the Carnival Triumph and agree with you.

The food we had was pedestrian at best.

Carnival has also taken the lobster off of the elegant night menu giving you the opportunity to purchase the lobster for $20.

Lobster is only off the menu for the short her cruises. The scallop appetizer was very good on the Inspiration. The ravioli entree was also good if you like vodka sauce.

Lobster is only off the menu for the short her cruises. The scallop appetizer was very good on the Inspiration. The ravioli entree was also good if you like vodka sauce.

On the five-day Triumph cruise I was just on, we didn't have the ravioli or scallops. I don't know why it was a different Elegant night menu.