No Pop from Ports

We usually bought Diet Coke in ports to replenish our supplies, especially on longer cruises. Now we can no longer do that. initially JH said we could still do that, but he has now corrected himself. I do not like the bubbles plan because you get a partial can of warm pop over ice. You may get a part of a can that has sit open for a while. I prefer cold pop with no ice. I guess we will just have to bite the bullet and buy cans or drink other things. :-(

Are they banning soft drinks of any kind or just soft drinks in bottles?

From the Carnival web site:

For cruises starting on or after July 9, 2015, a change to our Liquor and Beverage Policy will take effect where guests will no longer be allowed to bring on board water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages packaged in bottles. Additionally, any confiscated items will also be discarded.

If I bought cans of Diet Coke in Cozumel, for example, I should be able to bring them on board without a problem.

If I bought cans of Diet Coke in Cozumel, for example, I should be able to bring them on board without a problem.

I'd ask security on my way off the ship if they'll allow cans onboard. Each ship seems to have its own rules.

Too bad they won't store bottles from port like they do liquor. Just found a bottled Horchata concentrate that's really good in PV.

ETA---what are they going to do about the vanilla pax bring back? Not a drink, but it's in a bottle.

Edited by SadieN

Are they banning soft drinks of any kind or just soft drinks in bottles?

From the Carnival web site:

For cruises starting on or after July 9, 2015, a change to our Liquor and Beverage Policy will take effect where guests will no longer be allowed to bring on board water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages packaged in bottles. Additionally, any confiscated items will also be discarded.

You seemed to miss this part on the Carnival facts page:

A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, and milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought onboard on embarkation day only in guests’ carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.

They are enforcing the embarkation day only rule now. Use to be, you could restock at ports, that is no longer the case.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

We usually bought Diet Coke in ports to replenish our supplies, especially on longer cruises. Now we can no longer do that. initially JH said we could still do that, but he has now corrected himself. I do not like the bubbles plan because you get a partial can of warm pop over ice. You may get a part of a can that has sit open for a while. I prefer cold pop with no ice. I guess we will just have to bite the bullet and buy cans or drink other things. :-(

This is my problem. I truly can't drink a whole soda, and don't like it going to waste. I also don't like altering my freedoms just to protect a cruises bottom line.

I'd ask security on my way off the ship if they'll allow cans onboard. Each ship seems to have its own rules.

Too bad they won't store bottles from port like they do liquor. Just found a bottled Horchata concentrate that's really good in PV.

ETA---what are they going to do about the vanilla pax bring back? Not a drink, but it's in a bottle.

It's the exceptions that are going to be the contaminants. I was reading the other day someone asking about Ensure, and the answer was "Sure, why not". Yet it's just as easy to boil an Ensure bottle top and reseal it as it is to do a water bottle. Plus you can't see through it when you shake it.

I also don't like altering my freedoms just to protect a cruises bottom line.

:D:D:D You do realize that in purchasing a ticket you are basically saying you are OK with the policies (and any restrictions) of the cruise line since the purchase of a ticket is an agreement of a contract.

It will be interesting to see how this continues to roll out. We aren't traveling until early March but we are flying in the day of and planned to purchase some soda in the first port for our rooms (mom doesn't drink coffee but has a Pepsi with her breakfast daily). I don't think the airports sell cans of soda and we will not be anywhere else. We may just have to suck it up and start drinking Bloody Mary's and Mimosas with breakfast instead :D

This is my problem. I truly can't drink a whole soda, and don't like it going to waste. I also don't like altering my freedoms just to protect a cruises bottom line.

You still have freedom. The freedom, not to buy the cruise ticket. Just like you can't brink soda through an airport, but you can purchase after the gate. So freedom is the ability to chose if you want the freedom to have the soda or not. Plus shortly after you get on the ship, and it moves away from USA, you are no longer part of the USA free society, but under a dictatorship, where the Captain has full control of regulating the rules, he desires to enforce.

You still have freedom. The freedom, not to buy the cruise ticket. Just like you can't brink soda through an airport, but you can purchase after the gate. So freedom is the ability to chose if you want the freedom to have the soda or not. Plus shortly after you get on the ship, and it moves away from USA, you are no longer part of the USA free society, but under a dictatorship, where the Captain has full control of regulating the rules, he desires to enforce.

You're confusing law with policy.

You're confusing law with policy.

What law is that? You can call it what you wish, but the Captain is the law on the ship. You might be confusing USA versions of law again which is not part of international waters where the captain is the law, and can try and punish or remove a person from the ship, or in a worse case, make them walk a plank. So, if it is Carnival "policy" not to allow people bringing aboard soda, and the captain says to look the other way to his staff, what do you call that? Captain is in charge. Ships are covered by different local laws while in port. They can be different or even conflict with the "policy" of the ship. Example. In Mexico, you can drink at 18 and the ship is 21 so the ship, made up the rule but no law is broken. However, the Captain could decide to throw the drunk 20 year old off the ship based on "his" law regardless if it is conflict with local laws.

I hope I confused you, but the point is, that any "freedom" that might be perceived, is lost once you leave USA territorial waters. Plus you still have the freedom, not to go. :eek:

MCFT, have you seen or tried those smaller cans of soda they make now? I can't always drink a full 12 oz soda either, so I really like the smaller diet cokes, I think it's an 8oz can. You should check em out.

MCFT, have you seen or tried those smaller cans of soda they make now? I can't always drink a full 12 oz soda either, so I really like the smaller diet cokes, I think it's an 8oz can. You should check em out.

Oh, my. Then he/she will say it's not fair that the ounce quota won't be met and that would not be fair if limited to just the number of cans. :eek:

You seemed to miss this part on the Carnival facts page:

A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, and milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought onboard on embarkation day only in guests’ carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.

They are enforcing the embarkation day only rule now. Use to be, you could restock at ports, that is no longer the case.

The part about embarkation only has been the policy for years yet you were able to restock on sodas, water, chips. It was a matter if they felt like enforcing. Also about discarding items or holding them for you when trying to bring from the outside. Proceed with caution even if you ask one of xray techs scanning bags you might get a different person on the way back.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

You can now pre-order a 6 pack of soda for $8, throw them in the mini frig or bring a small soft sided cooler. Problem solved.

You can now pre-order a 6 pack of soda for $8, throw them in the mini frig or bring a small soft sided cooler. Problem solved.

$8.00 is EXACTALLY why we want to restock in port. WAY too expensive! :(

My friends were on a cruise last week and when they were getting back on board in every port they had to empty out any bags they were bringing on into bins and shake out towels. those bins then went through the scanner. any opened bottles or any cans were tossed in the trash by security. She said they saw tons of people getting cases of soda tossed in the trash.

I got all excited that the cost of soda when down from the fun shops.

It didn't - just checked and it's still $10 for 6 cans. I'll still buy it, just wish that it was $6-$8 instead of $10.

For us, we bring on sodas that we can't buy onboard (namely diet, non-cola options as they only sell Sprite Zero in that category). We'll just bring on what we can at embarkation, and order whatever else from the fun shop.

Easy fix. Pour the rest of your can in an empty water bottle, cap it, and store in fridge.

I have the same question, headed to Mexico. Advised of things to shop for are hot sauces and vanilla, which I assume are in bottles? Do I cross this off my list?