Bringing food and alcohol back from port

TinkyPatz

Hello fellow cruisers!

I am cruising on the Sunshine to Puerto Rico. This is where I was born and raised, therefore will be meeting with lots of family.

Since there have been so many policy changes lately I am getting a bit confused as to what is allowed and whatnot.

There is a rum sold in PR that I can't find in the US and would like to bring back a bottle (or two :D) of it back. Not necessarily back to the cabin, but will they keep it and give back at the end of the cruise?

Additionally, knowing my mother and aunts they will be offering food for us to take back non-stop. What kinds of foods (if any) can we bring on the ship? I would assume it would have to be pre-packaged like candy and such?

If anyone has been on the Sunshine to PR lately how strict was it coming back onto the ship?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

as long as the rum is the correct sized bottle they should let you check it then give it back at the end. With the food it cannot be anything fresh or made. has to be prepackaged. But i have also seen stuff in packages get tossed by security so its pretty to the discression of the ship

as long as the rum is the correct sized bottle they should let you check it then give it back at the end. With the food it cannot be anything fresh or made. has to be prepackaged. But i have also seen stuff in packages get tossed by security so its pretty to the discression of the ship

We've never had an issue getting any food onto the ship. It's taking it off that is the problem.

We've even brought dinner left overs onboard. Mom didn't join us, Sis and I ordered too much. Brought it back, found Mom on the Lido and served her the rest of our molcajete: rice, beans, chicken, arrichierra, cheese, guacamole and salsa. (Next time in Ensenada she went with us.)

Edited by SadieN

In regards to alcohol, as long as it is properly packed in a commercial bottle it can be brought onboard. However, once you leave the ship you will be subject to U.S. Customs requirements in regards to the amount of alcohol you can bring into the U.S. without having to pay charges.

In regards to foods... it is better not to try. U.S. Customs in quite strict in regards to the importation of foods. Unless it is in a sealed commercially prepared box, it will not be permitted into the U.S. In fact, even if sealed, in many cases, it will still be confiscated by U.S. Customs and destroyed.

In regards to alcohol, as long as it is properly packed in a commercial bottle it can be brought onboard. However, once you leave the ship you will be subject to U.S. Customs requirements in regards to the amount of alcohol you can bring into the U.S. without having to pay charges.

In regards to foods... it is better not to try. U.S. Customs in quite strict in regards to the importation of foods. Unless it is in a sealed commercially prepared box, it will not be permitted into the U.S. In fact, even if sealed, in many cases, it will still be confiscated by U.S. Customs and destroyed.

I think you are misreading the OP's question. They want to bring food on the ship, not back to the U.S. Why is beyond me?

I think you are misreading the OP's question. They want to bring food on the ship, not back to the U.S. Why is beyond me?

As to why, you would need to understand Latino culture. Nobody leaves a house without a lot of food. I recently went to a quinceanera. I had left over food for days.

In our case Mom was tired and didn't want to go back into port for dinner.

We've also brought on pastries. The stuff on the ship is pretty to look at and pretty awful in taste.

Thank you everyone for your replies!

To clear some things up, I would be bringing the food back to the ship to eat there, not back home. I don't need any more food than there is on the ship but whoever said about the Latino culture, this is absolutely true. We show our love through food :p it's impossible to visit my family and not walk away with a truckload of food! Especially if they cook something delicious for me, I would love to be able to bring some leftovers to munch on later. It's not everyday that I get to eat my mother's food

For the alcohol, it's just 2 bottles of rum I can't find in Florida.

I guess I'll have to try with the food, and worst case scenario me and hubby will eat it right there before getting on the ship or my mother will have to understand :rolleyes:

Edited by TinkyPatz