Vanilla from port v Carnival's bottle rule

SadieN

I've read that Carnival security is now throwing away all bottles brought in from port.

Anybody know about other things that are in bottles, such as Vanilla?

I've been mourning my Horchata concentrate that I get in Mexico. The Pinchlingue and Sangria are ok as they'll be saved bc they're alcoholic.

Edited by SadieN

Make your own vanilla extract: super easy and superior to any bought extract.

I made several batches and handed out for christmas: big hit!

DD has to do this in Italy. Vanilla beans and Vodka. Baking is very different in Europe.

People are getting hung up on the word "bottle" and not paying attention to the fact that the rule pertains to soda and non-wine alcohol. If all bottles were prohibited, then you couldn't also bring your 2 bottles of wine on board. No one's trying to prohibit vanilla or Marie Sharp's hot sauce from being personally imported.

The issue being addressed by the rule is not "breakage" but smuggling and the length of time it takes security et.al. to check for smuggled alcohol. Also with soda it's the "mass quantities" of soda and water cruisers are dragging on board versus buying on board ship. Scream and rant all you want about "price gouging" drinks, when you see cruisers lining up at security check points with literally cases of soda and water and it takes you 45 minutes just to get past the scanners plus all the tripping over the things while maneuvering around the Lido deck once on board, it's worth the effort to see this cut back.

IMHO, they will be confiscated and this is why:

I use Apple Cider Vinegar every day for Rosacea. I contacted the Special Needs Department and told them it only comes in bottles. I can get a 16 ounce bottle but it is a bottle.

I received an email back stating that I would need to pack the bottle in my checked luggage or else it would be confiscated. I was told it would be okay to do that.

I really don't want to put it in my checked luggage.

I will be taking a doctors note with me and hope they let me take it on.

And for those of you saying I can do without, I don't think so. It is a 21 day cruise and it would be a nightmare.

Therefore, my point being, is that why would they let Vanilla and Hot Sauce back on the ship when I was told no to the ACV? Special needs said they are not letting any bottles on the ship in carryons.

Does this go for shampoo also because I have seen a lot of "fake" bottles that are made to especially carry booze.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

I use Apple Cider Vinegar every day for Rosacea. I contacted the Special Needs Department and told them it only comes in bottles. I can get a 16 ounce bottle but it is a bottle.

I received an email back stating that I would need to pack the bottle in my checked luggage or else it would be confiscated. I was told it would be okay to do that.

I will be taking a doctors note with me and hope they let me take it on.

And for those of you saying I can do without, I don't think so. It is a 21 day cruise and it would be a nightmare.

Therefore, my point being, is that why would they let Vanilla and Hot Sauce back on the ship when I was told no to the ACV? Special needs said they are not letting any bottles on the ship in carryons.

Does this go for shampoo also because I have seen a lot of "fake" bottles that are made to especially carry booze.

I have rosacea also so I know what a pain it is to deal with. Just a thought I wonder if you could get apple cider vinegar off the salad bar...want be exactly the same, but maybe.

I have rosacea also so I know what a pain it is to deal with. Just a thought I wonder if you could get apple cider vinegar off the salad bar...want be exactly the same, but maybe.

It won't work. It has to be undiluted with the mother and what is on the salad bar has been dilluted to 5% acidity and the mother has been killed.

The one on the salad bar does not have the medical benefits.

I really can't see them not allowing souvenirs to be brought on board in a port. We buy a hot sauce in every port and it would be annoying if we had to line up in the morning on debarkation day to pick it up and then pack it because we fly.

I just can't see it. I think they are more concerned with water bottle and bottles of soft drinks.

"For cruises starting on or after July 9, 2015, a change to our Liquor and Beverage Policy will take effect where guests will no longer be allowed to bring on board water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages packaged in bottles."

" A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, and milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought onboard on embarkation day and must be in the guest's carry-on luggage."

When did vanilla, hot sauce, shampoo, perfume, etc. become a beverage? If anyone questions you bringing these onboard from a port just tell them to read their own beverage policy.

For the person needing her vinegar...bring it on in a sealed (buy the kind that has an aluminum or paper seal at the neck of the bottle with proper labeling on the bottle and an email from special needs saying you require this for medicinal purposes. Wait until you are denied the right to board with a properly sealed, manufactures' labeled bottle to raise a ruckus on these boards, please.

So they told you that you could bring your apple cider vinegar, but you're going to defy how they told you to carry it on because "I really don't want to"? :confused: Just do what they said and you can have your vinegar.

So they told you that you could bring your apple cider vinegar, but you're going to defy how they told you to carry it on because "I really don't want to"? :confused: Just do what they said and you can have your vinegar.

Does this contradiction really surprise you? It doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Make your own vanilla extract: super easy and superior to any bought extract.

I made several batches and handed out for christmas: big hit!

Agreed. We make our own as we. Also handed it out as our neighbor gift one year. Big Hit!!!

Excuse me but no, I thought we weren't suppose to put liquids in our checked luggage according to Carnival rules. Therefore the SDD was wrong in saying put it in checked luggage.

Would you like for the glass bottle to be on top of your luggage when it got broke???

Read the faqs where it states all liquids are to be in carry on luggage:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2633/session/L3RpbWUvMTQzODM1NzczMi9zaWQvVFQ0V3BMc20%3D

Edited by ready2cruzagain

i dont understand the drink policy. They dont check bags very closely or how can people get so much marijuana on board. I have also taken on prescription meds that arent in any pill bottle. I am curious as hoe you use apple cider vinegar for rosacea.

I totally agree with you!

Not trying to be mean but if they say you can bring it on in your checked luggage...just pack it.:confused: There are lots of ways to pack liquid so it doesn't leak if the bottle breaks. Just buy one that has a seal on it and you should be fine. Like I said, not trying to be mean, I just don't get why you wouldn't want to do what they told you would be the way to get what you need on-board.

The new rule is all about beverages...not other liquids so to the original OP...I don't believe bringing on a bottle of vanilla will be an issue, nor hot sauce, etc.

Edited by mousey

Excuse me but no, I thought we weren't suppose to put liquids in our checked luggage according to Carnival rules. Therefore the SDD was wrong in saying put it in checked luggage.

Would you like for the glass bottle to be on top of your luggage when it got broke???

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2633/session/L3RpbWUvMTQzODM1NzczMi9zaWQvVFQ0V3BMc20%3D

The policy you have quoted specifically refers to liquor, beer, and beverages (juice, water, soft drinks), not "liquids". You can still put liquid medications or hairspray or sunscreen or facial toner or contact solution or any number of liquids that do not fall into the category of beverage into either your carry-on or checked bag. Can you imagine the uproar if you couldn't?

If it is in large enough quantities and/or in unmarked suspect bottles, though, I would be prepared for them to remove and question/remove it as possibly containing smuggled booze, whether it is in your carry-on or checked bag. (i.e., who really needs a 32 ounce bottle of Scope for a week's vacation?)

For the OP, if I insisted on carrying it on, I would transfer it to a smaller-than-16-oz toiletry bottle with part of the mother and carry just the amount I would need for the week. Not sure why you would need the full 16 ounce bottle for your cruise. A 4-ounce bottle of it with the rest of your (small) toiletries is unlikely to even get a second glance the way a 16 ounce bottle might. Or is it a 21 day B2B?

I don't have pony in this race but I personally know how much Apple Cider Vinegar smell can ruin anything that it touches. I personally appreciate that she doesn't want to take the chance on ruining her and others belongings by putting the vinegar in her checked luggage.

I am about the best luggage packer you can find and have had a few things broken inside my luggage that I thought were nearly indestructable. I believe the airlines could actually give pointers to the cruise line luggage handlers!!

It comes in plastic bottles and no one seemed to be that concerned about breakage with booze.

Nope...not all liquids. Just beverages are prohibited. You need to read the faqs a little more closely.