Technical Problems on Statendam

Steve Q

Just a note about the entertainment----the shows in the main theatre were much better than on most cruises we have taken. Both Paul Pappas and Billy Garan were very good. The best two shows, however, were singer, Tricia Kelly, and comedian, Jim McCue. They were outstanding. Jim McCue also is in charge of the month long Boston comedy festival in March.

Thank you so very much for these recommendations! I'll be looking for the names in my next daily program, and hope to see one (or more!) of them.

I have seen Paul Pappas and Encore more than a few times, and agree wholeheartedly that they are both excellent shows. I'm looking forward to seeing the others now.

We did not experience any problems in our cabin during this sailing. We were in an Oceanview on the Lower Promenade Deck. A nearby neighbor, however, did tell us that he had flooding problems in the bathroom.

While we do love the older ships, it seems difficult to oppose HAL's decision to modernize the fleet. We were only steps from the Atrium. Most modern ships use the Atrium for many of the ship's entertainment and also contain bars and restaurants. There was literally nothing in the Atrium, of any note, on the Statendam. We are very happy to have sailed on her, but it probably was a good decision by HAL to move on.

Just a note about the entertainment----the shows in the main theatre were much better than on most cruises we have taken. Both Paul Pappas and Billy Garan were very good. The best two shows, however, were singer, Tricia Kelly, and comedian, Jim McCue. They were outstanding. Jim McCue also is in charge of the month long Boston comedy festival in March.

Lastly, the theatre production, Encore--An Evening at the Symphony, was wonderful. Cast members, Loryn Cura and Andrew Diessner, were terrific. We rarely like the Cast shows, but this was certainly an unexpected surprise. The other cast member and the cruise director even sat in the audience to view the performance.

Sent from my iPad

Thanks for the information on the Entertainment.

Glad your cabin didn't have any problems.

For those of us on the final HAL voyage of the Statendam, should we have our fingers crossed? (I am expecting another fine cruise.)

Interesting to me, at least, in the photo of the plumbing, one could see a pipe labeled "Italia". That had to have been an original given that the ship was built in Italy.

For those of us on the final HAL voyage of the Statendam, should we have our fingers crossed? (I am expecting another fine cruise.)

Regard it as an adventure or a voyage rather than a fine cruise and you will be OK. I was on the Statendam 7/27-8/10 and my main deck center ship cabin was in perfect working order. The crew, waiters and cabin stewards, will do their best as usual. However I was on an often repeated Alaska itinerary. You are going on a unique itinerary across the remote Pacific. I did the same itinerary Hawaii to Guam on the Amsterdam two years ago. Keep your fingers crossed for fine weather and making it into all the ports. We had a nearby typhoon for Chuuk, Saipan, Guam. Made it to the ports but very wet. It's that time of year.

I was on the 7/13/15 sailing. I had room 618, which had no issues until we returned to Seattle. At that point all the toilets in the area stopped working. The rest of the cruise was flawless.

I love the Statendam and the Ryndam, and I am very sorry to see them go. If P&O thinks they can maintain them and run them for years, then HAL could have done that too. Instead they keep the abomination called Veendam. I don't like the Vista ships either.

I am glad to see that the Rotterdam will be returning from exile next year. It left the US in 2012 and will be back for the Voyage of the Vikings next year. After that it will be in the US for a while. That's my favorite ship.

I would like to sail the Volendam sometime but it's always in Asia or Australia, except for summers in Alaska. I suggest HAL bring the Volendam back to the US and send the Vistas as far away from the US as possible. Also put the Veendam in service in the Persian Gulf.

The Rotterdam is also my favorite ship. Just a cut above. IMO

It is. It is also by far the fastest ship in the fleet. The 2nd officer told me they have had it up to 26.5 knots, which is faster than any cruise ship except for Cunard's liners.