Sep 20, 2015 Pearl Glacier Bay out of Seattle Lighthouses

Roz326

Hello everyone!

I have been searching for information on what lighthouses we might pass on our way out of Seattle/Pugent Sound and into Alaska along the Glacier Bay route. I am coming up empty! I even called NCL and they had no clue! So, if anyone else is a lighthouse fan and can identity which ones we may see on our trip, I would be most appreciative.

Hello everyone!

I have been searching for information on what lighthouses we might pass on our way out of Seattle/Pugent Sound and into Alaska along the Glacier Bay route. I am coming up empty! I even called NCL and they had no clue! So, if anyone else is a lighthouse fan and can identity which ones we may see on our trip, I would be most appreciative.

You might want to ask this on the Alaska forum. Lots of experienced AK cruisers there.

Ports of Call < Alaska

Here's the direct link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Edited by NMLady

I took 2 maps with me: this one from National Geographic, and the one that is bound into this book. Both of them had lights marked, though obviously not in as much detail as a navigational chart, and if I compared them to the ship position display on the TV (channel 22) I could usually get a good idea of what light we were passing. They aren't picturesque lighthouses like you'd see on the East coast or Great Lakes, though.

I took 2 maps with me: this one from National Geographic, and the one that is bound into this book. Both of them had lights marked, though obviously not in as much detail as a navigational chart, and if I compared them to the ship position display on the TV (channel 22) I could usually get a good idea of what light we were passing. They aren't picturesque lighthouses like you'd see on the East coast or Great Lakes, though.

More great info! Thank you!

I went to marinetraffic.com and selected only Navigational aids.

It look like there is a bacon marking the channel near Port Townsend - marked PS TSL - the next one is marking the entrance to Victoria at Ogden Point

I also found this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lighthouses_in_Alaska

You are probably going to go by most of them in the middle of the night :D

There are a few As you head out of Puget Sound. They aren't as tall as the ones you see on the east coast, but still worth keeping a lookout.

Check out this link: lighthousefriends.com

As you leave Seattle look for:

West Point Lighthouse

Point No Point

Marrowstone Point

Admiralty Head

Point Wilson

New Dungeness

There may be more, but those are the only ones I know about.

Hope this helps. Have fun!!!!!

Edited by Misskitty72

There is a book sold in the gift shops on many of the Cruise ships transiting

the Alaskan waters:

THE ALASKA CRUISE HANDBOOK

A Mile-by-Mile Guide

Author: Joe Upton

ISBN-13 978-0-9794915-0-4

$19.95

Dimensions 9H 7W .5T

Now the bestest part the enclosed fold-out MAP with the points of interest

navigation stuff and mile by mile from Seattle and Vancouver to either

Seward of Whittier.

Best $20 you will spend on a gift item.

Don't wait till later to buy it on board it may be sold out.

There is a book sold in the gift shops on many of the Cruise ships transiting

the Alaskan waters:

THE ALASKA CRUISE HANDBOOK

A Mile-by-Mile Guide

Author: Joe Upton

ISBN-13 978-0-9794915-0-4

$19.95

Dimensions 9H 7W .5T

Now the bestest part the enclosed fold-out MAP with the points of interest

navigation stuff and mile by mile from Seattle and Vancouver to either

Seward of Whittier.

Best $20 you will spend on a gift item.

Don't wait till later to buy it on board it may be sold out.

Easily available on Amazon for your pre-cruise planning needs: http://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Cruise-Handbook-Mile-Mile/dp/0979491576/ref=pd_sim_sbs_14_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=13Z1V486VP4VXD77A0QW

Well that's very cool! We have an aft cabin on deck 10 so should be able to view most from there. We will be pre and post cruise in Seattle to see the area, lighthouses and attractions. Possible relocation. But back to the cruise - have you signed up for any shore excursions? How exciting that you chose an Alaskan cruise for your first cruising adventure! You'll love it!

Not only have I always wanted to see Alaska, we chose this one as most budget friendly for a first time trip. (Next time, look out! LOL) I live in WA, so no flights (just a train ride), no hotels either. There were less expensive cruises, of course, but the location and travel savings balanced it out and then some.

We are going on the train ride out of Skagway, but other than that we are going to observe and take notes and most importantly, relax!

I am going with my quilting buddy. I always go on a girls only vacation once a year in September and we decided we had enough fabric (I just this morning put away the fabrics I bought last September) and since we had never been on a cruise.....

Both our husbands are fine with it and probably breathing a sigh of relief that we will spend less on this cruise than on a weeks worth of quilt show and fabric shopping. :D

We will definitely have to meet up! My daughter is accompanying me on this trip - my second Alaska cruise. We are also doing the Skagway train trip! What time did you choose? I think we are 12:45. We also decided to experience a seaplane in Juneau. Be sure you experience the Mt. Roberts Tramway in Juneau if the day is clear. Amazing views! Let's definitely keep in touch!

Not only have I always wanted to see Alaska, we chose this one as most budget friendly for a first time trip. (Next time, look out! LOL) I live in WA, so no flights (just a train ride), no hotels either. There were less expensive cruises, of course, but the location and travel savings balanced it out and then some.

We are going on the train ride out of Skagway, but other than that we are going to observe and take notes and most importantly, relax!

I am going with my quilting buddy. I always go on a girls only vacation once a year in September and we decided we had enough fabric (I just this morning put away the fabrics I bought last September) and since we had never been on a cruise.....

Both our husbands are fine with it and probably breathing a sigh of relief that we will spend less on this cruise than on a weeks worth of quilt show and fabric shopping. :D

Don't forget they have quilt shops in Alaska, too. Looking forward to checking them out. They have different fabric patterns then in the lower 48.

We will definitely have to meet up! My daughter is accompanying me on this trip - my second Alaska cruise. We are also doing the Skagway train trip! What time did you choose? I think we are 12:45.

We are on that train! Definitely will look out for you!

Don't forget they have quilt shops in Alaska, too. Looking forward to checking them out. They have different fabric patterns then in the lower 48.

Uh oh....... :D

We will definitely have to meet up! My daughter is accompanying me on this trip - my second Alaska cruise. We are also doing the Skagway train trip! What time did you choose? I think we are 12:45. We also decided to experience a seaplane in Juneau. Be sure you experience the Mt. Roberts Tramway in Juneau if the day is clear. Amazing views! Let's definitely keep in touch!

If you haven't logged onto your Roll Call thread for this cruise, you should do so ASAP--lots more people to meet!

(OK looks like quackaddict has...climb aboard, Roz!) :)

• 3 weeks later...

Oh no, cruising combined with fabric shops?? I better bring another suitcase!

I just ordered the book mentioned in this thread from Amazon. I love having reference material on my travels.

We haven't booked any excursions, mainly a money thing, but may do so once aboard at the last minute. We're on the 9/13/2015 Pearl sailing out of Seattle.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Oh no, cruising combined with fabric shops?? I better bring another suitcase!

I just ordered the book mentioned in this thread from Amazon. I love having reference material on my travels.

We haven't booked any excursions, mainly a money thing, but may do so once aboard at the last minute. We're on the 9/13/2015 Pearl sailing out of Seattle.

Rushin' Taylor's in Skagway looks like the best quilt shop to me, but they are closed on Wed. when we would be there. However, I had emailed her and she said she would switch days off if I planned to stop in. I didn't want to have her change just for me, however if there are several others interested, I would contact her again. Other shops are Changing Tides in Juneau and Wale's Tail in Ketchikan. Check out their web sites and let me know if you are interested.

Rushin' Taylor's in Skagway looks like the best quilt shop to me, but they are closed on Wed. when we would be there. However, I had emailed her and she said she would switch days off if I planned to stop in. I didn't want to have her change just for me, however if there are several others interested, I would contact her again. Other shops are Changing Tides in Juneau and Wale's Tail in Ketchikan. Check out their web sites and let me know if you are interested.

Yes, I will take a look at the websites, thank you. Since we don't have excursions booked, wandering and shopping is most likely what we'll do. Do they all look Iike they're in the main tourist shopping areas?

2 pairs of hands up here for the quilt shop in Skagway! My friend and I are going on the train at 12:45, but would love to visit the quilt shop before if possible.

Jinglesbella and I are on the 9/13 sailing of the Pearl, are you too?

Oh no, sorry, I was confused on the date in the title of the thread. We are on the 9/20 sailing.

I know, I'm sorry we kind of threadjacked. Rushin' Tailor Quilt Alaska has a nice website and Facebook page, you should reach out to them too like Jinglesbella did, maybe they're flexible on days off!

Edited by mbuenzli

Changin Tides(Juneau) looks to be a little off the beatin' bath on Franklin St. Rushin' Taylor (Skagway) looks real convenient (that's the one I would have to contact to ask them to change their closed day. Whale's Tail in Ketchikan looks pretty convenient, also. There is also another one in Ketchikan, Soft Goods and Green Stuff, but it does't look to be real convenient to the docks.