NCL Star or Emerald Princess

TheTides

Hey there,

We currently have a 7 night western caribbean sailing in a mini suite with the dining package sailing booked for this December, and we are second guessing our choice. We got a DEAL on this sailing, and have done all the ports multiple times with the exception of Roatan. So we honestly are not too thrilled about the ports, and the Star seems to be getting not the greatest reviews.

So we are second guessing out decision, and looking the Emerald Princess 5 nighter instead, doing Princess Cay and Grand Turk. This sailing is the same price as out 7 day star, both in a mini suite, but all new ports for us. We just completed a sailing on the Caribbean Princess, and loved almost every aspect of it. While the dining is not as good as the specialty dining on NCL, we loved the decor as well as the pool deck set up.

Are we crazy to pass up such a great deal on the NCL Star for a shorter Emerald Princess cruise. We absolutely love NCL, but have only sailed on their newer ships in the last few years (Getaway and Epic 2x), and are worried that the star, even after her refurb, will look more dated. Will be posting this on both Princess and NCL boards. Love to hear your insight! Thanks!

Having 7 days on a cruise ship is always better than having 5...although all these changes made by ncl would justify a change on emerald princess.if i were you i would go for princess this time..

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Star is my least favorite NCL ship so I would probably look for another. The extra two days is not going to a benefit if you also don't like the ship. I haven't been on the other ship but I would probably choose the other one as an unknown expecting to be as happy as I am on other ships.

The Star is my least favorite NCL ship so I would probably look for another. The extra two days is not going to a benefit if you also don't like the ship. I haven't been on the other ship but I would probably choose the other one as an unknown expecting to be as happy as I am on other ships.

The only thing about the Star that I really don't like is that the buffet does not extend all the way to the stern of the ship, leaving no sunset bar.

Hey there,

We currently have a 7 night western caribbean sailing in a mini suite with the dining package sailing booked for this December, and we are second guessing our choice. We got a DEAL on this sailing, and have done all the ports multiple times with the exception of Roatan. So we honestly are not too thrilled about the ports, and the Star seems to be getting not the greatest reviews.

So we are second guessing out decision, and looking the Emerald Princess 5 nighter instead, doing Princess Cay and Grand Turk. This sailing is the same price as out 7 day star, both in a mini suite, but all new ports for us. We just completed a sailing on the Caribbean Princess, and loved almost every aspect of it. While the dining is not as good as the specialty dining on NCL, we loved the decor as well as the pool deck set up.

Are we crazy to pass up such a great deal on the NCL Star for a shorter Emerald Princess cruise. We absolutely love NCL, but have only sailed on their newer ships in the last few years (Getaway and Epic 2x), and are worried that the star, even after her refurb, will look more dated. Will be posting this on both Princess and NCL boards. Love to hear your insight! Thanks!

We have been on both ships. Loved the Star. It is a sister ship of the Dawn. The Emerald is a sister ship of the Caribbean Princess. Some people are foodies, I am not. So the food issue does not apply to me, except that there are many more choices on the Star.

I would sail the Star for 7 days and then try to book the Emerald at a later date.

Have sailed on the Dawn (western from Tampa) and a lot of the Princess ships - including the Emerald and Caribbean.

I would disagree that 7 days is always better than 5 days -especially since you are considering switching from a western to an eastern itinerary. I would take the Emerald and enjoy the 5 days :D

But, bottom line. Where do you want to cruise to and which cruise line fits your vacation expectations.

• 1 month later...

Hi - I have sailed on the NCL Star and was pretty happy with it. I am headed to London for their 10/04/2015 transatlantic cruise back to Tampa.

The staff is usually vry friendly, the food is pretty good (not as happy with the specialty restaurants as other ships).

My only advice is to try to take advantage of most of the freebies - gyms, lotteries, etc. to occupy your time. Shore visits are usually a bust for me and tend to enjoy the peace on the ship.

We decided to go for the Celebrity Reflection instead! While we love NCL, being on a newer ship with an eastern itinerary for the same price, we thought it was definitely worth it! After going on the EPIC and Getaway the past 3 cruises, hard to pass up the new ship smell!

Thanks for all the insight!