flying/sailing with meds

cthrn27

Sneaking your narcotics in a Vit C bottle won't deter a drug sniffing dog. They know the difference. If I get stopped, I want proof that those narcotics are mine legally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you read my first post, you'd see I wasn't talking about sneaking. I was talking about making pain meds not so visible to a sneaky cabin attendant;)

Another option for those who think pill bottles take up too much room is to ask your pharmacy to put a label on a bag for you. That way all meds are separate and labeled correctly.

Speaking as a paramedic, in case of an emergency it is so much easier to see what medications a person takes if the emergency personnel can read the pill bottles. It takes up valuable time to have a person search a PDR for pics of the pills.

As for pain meds, any and all pain meds should be in a labeled container for travel. Personally I think that even if you are in a car it is much easier on everyone to have meds in proper containers just in case you are stopped by a police officer.

Just my opinion folks. [emoji4]

- Cindy

A related question and I hope someone can advise. We are taking a TA this fall, with extended pre cruise time in Italy. Totally we will be away about 6 weeks. I have pain meds, and the doctor provides 4 week prescription, I see him every month. Is it prohibited to obtain a supply longer than 4 weeks.

I'm starting to prepare my packing lists, and after seeing this thread, it's making me wonder if I will have problems.

Thanks for your advice.

My Mom has MS and has a ton of meds. She uses a pill case to bring her meds with her and always has on any type of trips she has taken (overseas, etc.). That being said, she also carry's a listing of all her prescriptions and the numbers and the doctors. It makes the most sense.

If she tried to carry all those pill bottles with her it would be a nightmare!

A related question and I hope someone can advise. We are taking a TA this fall, with extended pre cruise time in Italy. Totally we will be away about 6 weeks. I have pain meds, and the doctor provides 4 week prescription, I see him every month. Is it prohibited to obtain a supply longer than 4 weeks.

I'm starting to prepare my packing lists, and after seeing this thread, it's making me wonder if I will have problems.

Thanks for your advice.

You may have difficult getting the pain medicines in advance, I hope your doctor and your health insurance are understanding.

My Mom has MS and has a ton of meds. She uses a pill case to bring her meds with her and always has on any type of trips she has taken (overseas, etc.). That being said, she also carry's a listing of all her prescriptions and the numbers and the doctors. It makes the most sense.

Well, my family of five takes a total of 14 prescriptions with us and I always take them in the original bottles. Funny enough, the only ones not in their original case are my MS injections. However, each syringe is individually packaged so I figure that's good.

I had too scary of an experience with my mom in a situation like budgetQueen mentioned. However, a print out for everyone is a good idea. I think I will add that to our medicine bag, but I'll still just take all the bottles to keep them straight.

I think you can get a 90 day supply - nothing illegal about that. Vet clinic does it all the time for dogs. Your doc probably only does a monthly script to ensure that you come in every month - unless there is some reason your dosage could be changed on a monthly basis.

I am a health care provider. The thinking here is alarming and naive. Sorry to sound so blunt.

But, unless pills are in their original container, you are going to SOL in an emergency, same with becoming dependent on someone else in numerous cases.

And to mislabel- you've got to be kidding? Keep your drugs secure is the only solution.

Wait until you have to use an unknown health care provider, while traveling. NONE are going to take your word about your meds, especially with all the "pain" pills mentioned above. Spend a day in an emergency room, and see how many come in, claiming- they are in so much "pain", lost, had stolen, re injured etc etc etc trying to get some more narcs. Unless- they have the pill bottle with them, and it is then verified, the order is valid, including the last time filled, etc etc etc, they aren't going to get any.

You should see what the fumbling family members go through, trying to give an accurate list of meds. ALL kind of errors, wrong doses, can't spell, can't pronounce, oh I forgot, was that discontinued last visit, it's new??? etc etc .

Then there is the health facility usage on vacation, remote, like on a cruise ship. Pills HAVE to be in the original bottles for them to be administered, along with being verified with a PDR.

Sorry to rant, I feel people just don't get how serious it is to have good habits with medications. People's lives depend on it, and look at stats for deaths from medications.

That's what I do, also. Hubby knows that I carry a list of my medications in my wallet. My doctor gave me a medication card that also lists my medical allergies.

In your cabin?

Yes if you are in the country the ship is flagged for and are caught on shore with an illicit substance they did bring the dog on board to the passenger's cabin.

Said dog reportedly did a lot of "sitting" in the cabin, never saw my neighbor again the entire remainder of the cruise.

I am a health care provider. The thinking here is alarming and naive. Sorry to sound so blunt.

But, unless pills are in their original container, you are going to SOL in an emergency, same with becoming dependent on someone else in numerous cases.

And to mislabel- you've got to be kidding? Keep your drugs secure is the only solution.

Wait until you have to use an unknown health care provider, while traveling. NONE are going to take your word about your meds, especially with all the "pain" pills mentioned above. Spend a day in an emergency room, and see how many come in, claiming- they are in so much "pain", lost, had stolen, re injured etc etc etc trying to get some more narcs. Unless- they have the pill bottle with them, and it is then verified, the order is valid, including the last time filled, etc etc etc, they aren't going to get any.

You should see what the fumbling family members go through, trying to give an accurate list of meds. ALL kind of errors, wrong doses, can't spell, can't pronounce, oh I forgot, was that discontinued last visit, it's new??? etc etc .

Then there is the health facility usage on vacation, remote, like on a cruise ship. Pills HAVE to be in the original bottles for them to be administered, along with being verified with a PDR.

Sorry to rant, I feel people just don't get how serious it is to have good habits with medications. People's lives depend on it, and look at stats for deaths from medications.

What about a pharmacy print out?

What about a pharmacy print out?

what about it? That can tell what you are supposed to be on, BUT, anyone would be crazy to try and sort through a bunch of pills out of the original containers, attempting to figure out what is what. And NO health care professional, worth their license is ever going to attempt it. As I mentioned- there ARE cases where YOUR meds may be the only ones available. This can happen in the US, personal experience, as well as in a port, or cruise ship infirmary.

Yes, hopefully this is a rare even, but medications are taken for a reason. Interruptions can be deadly. You are FAR better off, having clear, official habits- meaning pills kept in the dispensed bottles.

While, I'm on the rant- another big mistake people, have no clue about making, is transferring meds- combining pills, removing sensitive meds from light sensitive containers etc. EACH bottle has a lot number, and expiration date- again, there for a REASON. There are recalls, and med deterioration. Especially an issue with Nitroglycerin- this is very light sensitive med, along with having a short expiration date- can be faster once opened. I can't tell you how many times, people put these meds in their own "containers", no idea how long it's been- usually they'll say oh, it's been a "while". The drug is essentially worthless, hope they never need it, since it's effectiveness is going to be compromised.

OK done. :)

I always carry my meds in original bottles and then put them in their daily pill planner once on the ship. I know you don't HAVE to do it this way, but that's just how I choose to do it. Plus, if anything would happen on our trip that would delay us returning home (think Triumph) I would like to have the whole bottle of my pills so that hopefully I have enough of them to get by until I return home. If you just take enough pills to fill your daily planner, what happens if you drop and lose one?

Just saying, things happen. I'd rather have the whole bottle. Maybe not of vitamins but my prescriptions for sure!

[quote name='GerryC']TSA does not require passengers to have medications in prescription bottles, but states have individual laws regarding the labeling of prescription medication with which passengers need to comply.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='skrufy']When flying I take the pill bottles and pill case with me. Do not trust what the TSA will do. Saying that TSA has never questioned my meds stored in my carry on.[/QUOTE]

So many misconceptions floating around.
Unless your meds could take down a plane (which they cannot do) the TSA doesn't care at all about your medications. The TSA doesn't "police" medications. Edited by lizardhowson

[quote name='cthrn27']Hello. Getting ready and wondering about traveling with meds. Can I take the meds in daily pill cases of do I need to keep them in the labelled pharmacy bottles??? I know to keep them with me and NOT in the SuIT case... Any other advice? Thanks🌸[/QUOTE]

Back to the original question without all the fru fru about things being a bad idea. If you feel comfortable you can take your meds, prescription or over the counter, in daily pill cases including narcotics for personal use. Neither the airlines or the cruise lines are going to give a rat's patoot about them. Now, there are many reasons that people feel comfortable with taking the original dispensed container with the dosage listed and the prescribing physician on the label but it isn't required.

I wouldn't ever travel without my ICE list that would include my medications and the pertinent facts for each one in several easily accessible locations but that isn't a requirement either.