Advice on South Pacific / NZ Excursions please

Hi all,

We are taking our first cruise on Voyager of the Seas in December and I'm starting to look at Shore Excursions. I have a few ideas and am happy to tour independently if that is the recommendation. Can I have your input, suggestions or experience on the following ports and possible tours please? We will have two 16 year olds with us so museums are not going to cut it!

Noumea - Would love to do Amadee Island but 4 adult prices is really too much. Leaning towards a Tchou Tchou ride organised when we arrive and then exploring by ourselves.

Isle Of Pines - Snorkelling at The Natural Aquarium and then a wander around the market and beach areas.

Mystery Island - Help! the only real options seem to be a day at the beach or a village cultural tour.

Bay of Island - Considering a bike hire option or perhaps a Maori War Canoe Encounter.

Auckland - This one's tricky as we depart at 3pm so not a lot of time. Would love to visit Rangitoto Island but might be better just exploring the city by ourselves. Has anyone been to Rangitoto and would you recommend the trip?

I am open to any suggestions you may have and would love some advice on enjoying our time in these areas.

Thank you all

your suggestions are all good but at each of those ports you can pick up independent tours at the gate.

Snorkelling at the Isle of Pines is fantastic and has a good local market and if your early enough......buy the lobster from the beach-yummo

PLEASE don't forget your aqua shoes, as a cut from the coral is terribly painful and dangerous

....from personal family experience

Walking tour around Mystery Island is fun- have your photo take in the cannibal pot for a few $$$$ - fun and a good keepsake

Bay of Islands - plenty of local tours at the gate

Auckland - Dock right in town so go for a jump from their Skytower, if you dare....lol! If not, go to the top to see the views-wonderful. If your lucky you can take a photo of the ship from there.

HAVE FUN :)

10409071_10152744664158249_2171366335213007243_n.jpg.6d0aa3899df418e946f7cb4ee96a9de5.jpg

10635959_10152744650173249_2147609421526269240_n.jpg.749b08a48be4d9fa4a176271c383cb73.jpg

10622840_10152744688693249_7323879753220081591_n.jpg.9c130517abdec91964d06650303287a1.jpg

1975014_10152744679983249_5388444434606868032_n.jpg.93d7828a4d9f14e012044589113fc4e3.jpg

10341706_10152697248245238_2337784551613501333_n.jpg.65e0ce95e14f84f1a0beba6933b85596.jpg

Edited by bubbles2014

Noumea - Not my favourite port, this year we are stumping up the $'ss and doing Amadee but I understand that you can get there under your own steam on the ferry that the tour uses for a much cheaper amount - someone here has hopefully done it and will give you some tips.

Isle of Pines - Haven't been to the Natural Aquarium but I have heard by the time you get there, there's not much time for snorkelling. If you want to save your pennies just get off the tender, turn right towards the 'big rock' which is a little island just off the beach - and there is plenty of snorkelling around there free of charge.

Mystery Island - a small uninhabited but lovely little island. Don't need to do a tour if you don't want - there is snorkelling from several spots around the island. You can walk around the island itself, which is a pretty walk. Buy lobster from the locals and chow down in a rustic setting. The locals come over and advertise some short tours for very reasonable rates, and they take AUD.

Bay of Islands - yep the New Zealanders are well organised with tours available at the gate as bubbles2014 said.

Auckland - Look on line at the Fullers web site. Practically next to the ship they do harbour tours which includes a brief stop at Rangitoto Island or an actual trip to the island itself. You can book tours on line - which we did - and just get off the ship and wander round to your tour. They give times etc so you can manage your time ashore.

Oh I forgot, take your own goggles and snorkel, gear is not easily available for hire and this way you can snorkel anywhere, anytime without having to worry about it. Its only if you take flippers that you have to worry about space in your luggage an we do without.

Here's a tip for the 16 year olds - if they are not getting the expensive internet package on the Voyager - at the base of the Skytower you get free wifi. We got off at Auckland. Headed straight off the ship and walked straight up to the skytower and had the view to ourselves before the crowds arrived. Then I wanted to watch the sky jumpers from the base of the tower. While we were waiting, the teens were delighted to discovered free wifi.

Re Noumea be aware that most shops are closed on Sundays. I highly recommend Amedee Island. Yes, its very pricey but imo its money well spent.

We loved the Voyager. Have a great cruise.

Hi all,

We are taking our first cruise on Voyager of the Seas in December and I'm starting to look at Shore Excursions. I have a few ideas and am happy to tour independently if that is the recommendation. Can I have your input, suggestions or experience on the following ports and possible tours please? We will have two 16 year olds with us so museums are not going to cut it!

Noumea - Would love to do Amadee Island but 4 adult prices is really too much. Leaning towards a Tchou Tchou ride organised when we arrive and then exploring by ourselves.

Isle Of Pines - Snorkelling at The Natural Aquarium and then a wander around the market and beach areas.

Mystery Island - Help! the only real options seem to be a day at the beach or a village cultural tour.

Bay of Island - Considering a bike hire option or perhaps a Maori War Canoe Encounter.

Auckland - This one's tricky as we depart at 3pm so not a lot of time. Would love to visit Rangitoto Island but might be better just exploring the city by ourselves. Has anyone been to Rangitoto and would you recommend the trip?

I am open to any suggestions you may have and would love some advice on enjoying our time in these areas.

Thank you all

For Auckland I' d recommend you take the ferry over to Devonport (the ferry terminal is right next to the cruise ship berth) and do a guided Segway tour with Broomstick Tours for an hour or two. Their office is on the wharf at Devonport where you get off. A couple of 16 year olds will love it. (Best to book in advance). Do it early and spend the remainder of the day exploring Auckland.

Amadee Island is great, we've been twice. Last time was with a Sea Princess tour where the tour group has the whole island for the day. The price included lunch and Islander entertainment, use of snorkeling gear, stand up paddle boards and jet skis (small charge) as well as a fish feeding tour of the reef and exploring the lighthouse. It is expensive but its something you would do once and remember forever and I reckon the kids would enjoy it.

Mystery Island is a place you could explore in an hour and relax, snorkel and sunbake for several. I believe the village tour is on the big island nearby as there is no permanent settlement on Mystery Island.

Thanks for all your recommendations. We may end up biting the bullet and doing the Amadee Island trip in Noumea. If everything is included other than the jet skis then I think the girls would have a fabulous time. Noumea does not seem to be anyone's favourite port so it may be the best way to go.