Newbie Questions for Freedom OTS

I am a newbie to cruising in general, and to Royal Caribbean. I am contemplating a cruise for myself and a friend on Freedom's western itinerary for sometime next year. What are the best times to go for decent weather and to avoid spring breaks/vacation times?

Also, am looking at GS level accommodations, and wondering if anyone has any tips or specific rooms to recommend/avoid.

Thanks!

Spring break would be March to early April, including the week after Easter to miss the younger crowd. You would also want to miss the summer months. We've found good better prices in September, a couple of weeks after Thanksgiving, and the week after New Year's.

Just got off our third cruise on FOTS in June. It's our FAVORITE of all the ships. Love the Western Caribbean itinerary, but we always have to cruise during the summer months so I can't help with any other season. We've never found it to be overcrowded with children.

We generally cruise in October during our anniversary and there are usually good prices if you book early, not a lot of kids as most have been back in school for a month or so with no school vacations during that month and the weather is great! Our Western Freedom cruise was in October. :cool:

If you are going to be in a Grand Suite, be sure and look up all the "Suite Amenities". You get the Concierge Service as well. These are really great and you definitely want to take advantage of them!! ;)

I prefer to find the GS nearest the Centrum Elevators. It's a GREAT location for convenience if you like to "run to the room and drop off, or run to the room for a quick change, etc.

Hope This Helps.

How much is the cabana rental? How big are the cabanas? What else is included?

Can you book one of these if you are doing an excursion first? (Thinking of doing the parasail)

Last time we were in Coco Cay, the cabanas were $200. They include wristbands for 6 people. They included a bottle of champagne, 4 bottles of water, a fruit plate, floating mats, 2 sets of snorkel rentals, and an upgraded lunch.

Edited by clarea

I try to book 1248,1252,1256 or the same on the other side it's more under solarium any higher than that you'll be under the hot tub if you want you balcony in the shade then the pool deck and you might hear more noise from above.

How much is the cabana rental? How big are the cabanas? What else is included?

Can you book one of these if you are doing an excursion first? (Thinking of doing the parasail)

Barefoot Beach in Labadee is between $175 and $250 I think. The expensive ones go first, but the $175 ones are fine. Somewhere around 10x10 with a porch. Ceiling fans and power outlets as well. Water and 2 float mats as well. 6 guests total, but if you are in a suite it really doesn't matter. Some people rent one and give the wrist bands to non suite friends.

It is come and go, so no problem doing parasail. Also a limo cart takes you places.

Barefoot Beach in Labadee is between $175 and $250 I think. The expensive ones go first, but the $175 ones are fine. Somewhere around 10x10 with a porch. Ceiling fans and power outlets as well. Water and 2 float mats as well. 6 guests total, but if you are in a suite it really doesn't matter. Some people rent one and give the wrist bands to non suite friends.

It is come and go, so no problem doing parasail. Also a limo cart takes you places.

Okay. So, a dumb question. Are there restrooms in the cabanas, or do we have to hike to some obscure place?

Is the limo cart available at the pier for transport to BFB? I remember taking it back to the ship when we were there in March, but we walked to the beach from the ship.

Okay. So, a dumb question. Are there restrooms in the cabanas, or do we have to hike to some obscure place?

No restrooms in the cabana. There is a restroom across from the entrance to Barefoot.

Is the limo cart available at the pier for transport to BFB? I remember taking it back to the ship when we were there in March, but we walked to the beach from the ship.

Yes, throw the driver a couple bucks

I try to book 1248,1252,1256 or the same on the other side it's more under solarium any higher than that you'll be under the hot tub if you want you balcony in the shade then the pool deck and you might hear more noise from above.

We were in 1252 on Liberty, and that was a great location. The only time I ever heard any noise from above in the Solarium was the night of the White Party. It happened to be one of those crazy college spring break weeks, and that party was very well attended. But even that wasn't horrible.

Just wanted to welcome you to CC and to the world of cruising. You will love it! Freedom was probably our favorite ship and the Western itinerary is a great first-cruise choice. Good job so far!

In case you have not found this part of the CC site yet, it's specifically for first time cruisers:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97

My first suggestion would be to look for a packing list and adapt it as needed. Cruise specific lists will include things that you wouldn't normally take on another trip, such as..... a small travel light or tap-light for the bathroom (they are pitch black and turning on the regular light will about blind you in the middle of the night, it's really bright); a power strip or plug multiplier (because there is typically only one plug and it's at the vanity); a lanyard or other way to keep your Sea Pass card safe, you wont really use a purse while on board; a bluetooth speaker for your music device might be nice while enjoying your balcony; small can of repellent if you have activities planned that include walking through the woods (not sure if it will work for sand fleas too? those buggers can be nasty); a disposable underwater camera if you plan to snorkel or if you'll have kids along, $1 bills for tipping room service and baggage porters; if you aren't sure about sea sickness, get a pkg of non-drowsy meds from your local drug store (Bonine, etc), better safe than sorry.... these were just some items that came to mind that were useful to us, especially for our first cruise. I'm happy to share my personal list with you, if you're interested. You'll develop and tweak your own list to be even better for next time!

All that said, try not to over pack - ha! :D

Edited by Ren1216

We were in 1252 on Liberty, and that was a great location. The only time I ever heard any noise from above in the Solarium was the night of the White Party. It happened to be one of those crazy college spring break weeks, and that party was very well attended. But even that wasn't horrible.

Yes that's a great room. We have 1248 in September this year and 1252 in in April 2017.

Just wanted to welcome you to CC and to the world of cruising. You will love it! Freedom was probably our favorite ship and the Western itinerary is a great first-cruise choice. Good job so far!

In case you have not found this part of the CC site yet, it's specifically for first time cruisers:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97

My first suggestion would be to look for a packing list and adapt it as needed. Cruise specific lists will include things that you wouldn't normally take on another trip, such as..... a small travel light or tap-light for the bathroom (they are pitch black and turning on the regular light will about blind you in the middle of the night, it's really bright); a power strip or plug multiplier (because there is typically only one plug and it's at the vanity); a lanyard or other way to keep your Sea Pass card safe, you wont really use a purse while on board; a bluetooth speaker for your music device might be nice while enjoying your balcony; small can of repellent if you have activities planned that include walking through the woods (not sure if it will work for sand fleas too? those buggers can be nasty); a disposable underwater camera if you plan to snorkel or if you'll have kids along, $1 bills for tipping room service and baggage porters; if you aren't sure about sea sickness, get a pkg of non-drowsy meds from your local drug store (Bonine, etc), better safe than sorry.... these were just some items that came to mind that were useful to us, especially for our first cruise. I'm happy to share my personal list with you, if you're interested. You'll develop and tweak your own list to be even better for next time!

All that said, try not to over pack - ha! :D

Thanks for the tips. I would love it if you would share your personal list. I figure that you have had more time to develop a list of must haves than I will.