For those who have been

InsureFun

What is the most significant and unforgettable moment you've experienced in Alaska? A previous thread likened it to a religious experience and I don't doubt it. For those that keep going back it must have been an epiphany...so what stands out?

Our Vision OTS portcall into Skagway was cancelled a few years ago so the Capt took the cruise ship whale watching. After several (many) hours and just before they were going to quit the whale watching my wife & I went up to the buffet for a quick bite and were sitting by the windows. A group of 6 or 8 whales started surfacing within a few feet of the ship and we had about of watching them. Seemed like they would often roll to a side and watch us watching them

-Monte

I was on the HAL Oosterdam last week (Seattle RT, Juneau, Hubbard Glacier, Sitka, Ketchikan, Victoria). This was my first cruise and first trip to Alaska...but it won't be the last.

If I were to pick one thing that was absolutely extraordinary, it would be Hubbard Glacier. We were blessed with a beautiful sky and unseasonally warm weather. The blue color of the glacier is breathtaking and changes as each cloud moves in the sky. We were there for a couple hours, but I could've stood there all day long.

A close second would be whale watching. It was so fun to scan the horizon looking for the tell-tale sign of a humpback whale. Then to wait for the whale to gasp that last breath before descending into the ocean and finally the fluke! We were able to see multiple whales on Captain Larry's boat in Juneau. A couple came up under the bow - they were within 30 feet of the boat. We also saw a lot of wildlife in Sitka on the Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest, including several humpbacks. We also saw three orcas putting on quite a show for us from the ship.

Oh, I could go on and on! :)

What is the most significant and unforgettable moment you've experienced in Alaska? A previous thread likened it to a religious experience and I don't doubt it. For those that keep going back it must have been an epiphany...so what stands out?

For me, it was getting up at sunrise (between 4 and 5 a.m.) and going up to the top deck to take pictures and view a beautiful sunrise with hills, forrests, snow-capped mountains in the background. Even the whales were up early to greet me! It felt as if I was the only person on the ship (everyone else was slumbering away) except for a few crew members cleaning and polishing and painting. Then down for an early morning walk around the promenade deck while viewing all the beauty of Alaska.

If I had to pick just ONE unforgettable moment in Alaska it would be going to Columbia Glacier on a day trip out of Valdez. Although the cruise was the best experience and Glacier Bay was beautiful, nothing quite compares to being in a small boat, totally surrounded by ice, the colours, the noise and then the absolute silence. Religious experience? not sure about that but pretty darned close. The whale we saw on the same trip was an absolute bonus, I don't think I'd ever been that excited.

I know you said one experience, but the second was standing 15' away from a 600lb bear in the back yard of the hostel we stayed in.

I know this is a 'cruise' board, but I would urge anyone who is thinking of returning to Alaska (and we're one of them) to try and make the time to actually go up into the State and drive around. If you think what you saw on the cruise was great wait till you spend a week or two driving the highways.

For me, the number one thing was seeing Denali from the exact spot that is shown in most of the brochures - what a mountain!

Second was the midnight sun in Fairbanks - mind blowing to be sitting outside at midnight or so and it looks like it is 11AM.

For our one set of friends it was Glacier Bay (which would be third on my list).

Not part of the cruise (land or ship) but most memorable moment was being on top of a mountain in the "bush" outside of Delta Junction with 3 friends on a late Aug/early Sep caribou hunt this year, flown in with a Super Cub - probably 20 miles from anyone else, complete silence, just you and nature in all its glory .... Really gives you time to reflect on things.

As for things associated with the cruise, the flight with Island Wings to Misty Fjord out of Ketchikan on an absolutely glorious, sun-drenched day. Cruising past mountaintops with mountain goats grazing, watching bald eagles fly below you, and just observing the incredible scenery. A truly amazing state ...

For us it was fishing out of Ketchikan. A bald eagle flew out near where we were and dove down catching a salmon. It flew around with the salmon in it's claws and then it's mate flew out to meet it and they both flew back to their nest together. Unforgettable!!

My most unforgettable moment in Alaska was capturing on film, DH and DS as they were walking toward DHs Father's gravesite at the Old Timer's Graveyard in Skagway.

DHs Father was killed in a train accident in the late 40's when their family lived in Skagway.

This is a special memory maker moment for all of us.

I am looking forward to having the picture enlarged to enjoy and share

with all members of the family.

I do have to admit that my winter trips have surpassed all my summer ones. So one of my most wonderful experiences was the full northern lights for most of 2 weeks from Cleary Summit in March 2003. I had seen the horizonal lights from New York, but there they are full overhead. Of course I just love all the wildlife and wonderful scenery and most of all, the Alaska people. :) I have been so fortunate to have made many lasting friendships.

I guess for me it was all just the scenary. While planning to go I was disappointed to learn we wouldn't see so much "ice and snow" like I had invisionsed Alaska to be about but when I got there and saw all the "greenery" it was breathe taking.

Two of the coolest moments - Standing on the glacier after the helicopter ride thinking wow, it's Monday and I'm on a glacier in Alaska and not in some little cubicle in my office...

Tracey Arm - sailing out that day the sun was reflecting on the water and there was a haze and it was so beautiful - like a scene in a movie.

It's weird because I feel the same way, that it was just so magnificant that I can't wait to go back again. Very surreal, I think it's something about nature and it being so simple but yet so increadible....

I have been to Alaska 3 times, most recently in June and for me, sailing the Inside Passage, Hubbard Glacier, icy Strait Point and meeting Koo Hook, whale watching, Tracy Arm. I could go on and on. There is something about sailing on a ship and looking at the spectacular views out of my balcony or on the top deck. Nothing better.

Marilyn

The most memorable moment was cruising through Glacier Bay. As we approached, you could look down and see floes of ice, the size of refrigerators, passing by the ship. Some actually colliding. And then, on top of one of the floes, there was a seal. Just lazily looking up, staring up at all the crazy humans and their darn contraption. ;) That moment still gives me a chuckle.

DH and I just got back from Alaska (via Serenade) and the most unforgetable moment for me was on the flight-seeing tour we took with Island Wings. We had a little cloud cover and Michelle, our pilot, was looking for a whole in the clouds to fly through so we could see the tops of the mountains. We broke through and it was amazing! The sun was shining on the mountains and the misty clouds made it look like the mountains were floating on them. The view went on forever! All the while we had calming classical music playing on our headphones.......sigh......

I went on my first trip to Alaska in Sept 2004. It was cold and rainy, only caught 1 salmon on the fishing trip, seas were rough most of the trip, helicopter glacier landing cancelled due to high winds...yet it was the trip of a lifetime. The salmon was the biggest fish I've ever caught so just 1 was enough to make me happy. Standing on the very tip of the bow while the ship was cutting its way thru the ice approaching Hubbard Glacier was unforgettable. I could have watched the glacier calving all day long. Whale watching with captain Larry was also unforgettable. I've been whale watching in Maine and it was nothing compared to going to Alaska and seeing a humpback's tail coming out of the water. Every time it happened, you felt you were seeing it for the first time again.

I'm not sure what you mean, I went to the Red Onion, they had a tour $5, it was upstairs where the brothel used to be. I was there Sept 4th in Skagway and the Red Onion was open and they ran the tours upstairs.

Same with Dolly's house in Ketchikan, I got free passes, but I think it's nominal and you take a self guided tour.

I'm not sure what you mean, I went to the Red Onion, they had a tour $5, it was upstairs where the brothel used to be. I was there Sept 4th in Skagway and the Red Onion was open and they ran the tours upstairs.

Same with Dolly's house in Ketchikan, I got free passes, but I think it's nominal and you take a self guided tour.

You missed the wink. They have tours, but believe me, the brothel is no longer in business. ;)

-Monte

What was the most memorable? The whole trip! We drove from Fairbanks to Seward and then went on the 7 day cruise in the Summer of 2003.We took 3 flightseeing trips including dogsleding. We went to Eilson in Denali. We stayed at fantastic bed and breakfasts during our two weeks of independant land touring. We did all our research prior to this trip on this board.

We fell in love with Alaska and the people. We decided that we wanted to change our lives and leave the heat, the number of people and the Hurricanes of Miami and move to Alaska. We visited again in the winter of 2003 to experience the cold and snow. We loved it. We saw the Aurora for the second time. The first time was on the cruise the previous summer. (That night was a major highlight). After our Winter visit we decided to make the move. We spent the next 19 months planning and selling stuff.

We moved to Alaska in June of this year. We love it more than we hoped. The people are fantastic. We took summer trips to Denali, Homer, Seward and back to Denali. The second trip to Denali was in our car which we drove past Eilson. We won the yearly lottery that allows 400 people for 4 days to drive themselves into the park all the way to the end. We spent the night at mile marker 30 in the Telakanika campground. It was marvelous. Homer was magificent. We drive the state in our RV that we purchased for our move. We spent the night last week on our deck behind the house watching the most amazing display of the Aurora imaginable.

Dreams do come true. Ours did.

Mike in Eagle River

What was the most memorable? The whole trip! We drove from Fairbanks to Seward and then went on the 7 day cruise in the Summer of 2003.We took 3 flightseeing trips including dogsleding. We went to Eilson in Denali. We stayed at fantastic bed and breakfasts during our two weeks of independant land touring. We did all our research prior to this trip on this board.

We fell in love with Alaska and the people. We decided that we wanted to change our lives and leave the heat, the number of people and the Hurricanes of Miami and move to Alaska. We visited again in the winter of 2003 to experience the cold and snow. We loved it. We saw the Aurora for the second time. The first time was on the cruise the previous summer. (That night was a major highlight). After our Winter visit we decided to make the move. We spent the next 19 months planning and selling stuff.

We moved to Alaska in June of this year. We love it more than we hoped. The people are fantastic. We took summer trips to Denali, Homer, Seward and back to Denali. The second trip to Denali was in our car which we drove past Eilson. We won the yearly lottery that allows 400 people for 4 days to drive themselves into the park all the way to the end. We spent the night at mile marker 30 in the Telakanika campground. It was marvelous. Homer was magificent. We drive the state in our RV that we purchased for our move. We spent the night last week on our deck behind the house watching the most amazing display of the Aurora imaginable.

Dreams do come true. Ours did.

Mike in Eagle River

WOW, that's wonderful Mike. :) I know myself and I could never move there. I'll just have to keep visiting. What are you doing there? I recall you had 2 small children? Sounds like you made an excellent choice for yourself.

I am surprised you would say that about moving there. It seems like you would be the first I would expect to do so given your continuous return trips. And since you live in Syracuse, you must like cold weather. There must be all kinds of jobs up there for psych nurses. I would like to at least consider it, although our biggest drawback is the cold weather. Neither of us has ever lived in it as adults, and don't miss it much. I would rather drive up to Lake Tahoe on dry roads, enjoy the snow and views and then come home to warm house. I would definitely like to take an extended rv trip there when we retire, soon I hope. Then I can search for religious impact of the great outdoor beauty there.

WOW, that's wonderful Mike. :) I know myself and I could never move there. I'll just have to keep visiting. What are you doing there? I recall you had 2 small children? Sounds like you made an excellent choice for yourself.

I am still working in the Mortgage Industry, however not as much right now. I work out of the house so I can help with kids. My son loves his new school and teachers. The difference here in the people and the atmosphere is wondeful. My wife is working in the Anchorage School District. We love our new house and neighborhood. We love the fact that we can take weekend trips to Denali or Seward, or Homer. The mountains are outside our front window. We are enjoying the constant changes in weather and light. Miami had almost no changes. We are thrilled we followed our dream. Thanks for asking BQ. You were a great help in making our first trip so memorable that we felt compelled to return.

Archived