Urgently need advice. Just found out I'm sailing solo with my 5 and 2 year old

honestguy

yeah that's right. I'm taking my two kids on a cruise by myself. Just found out, and I leave on Saturday on the fantasy.:eek: Really just looking for tips of people who have done something like this. My worries are mainly getting our food on the buffet. for breakfast and lunch.

For dinner I plan on getting the kids fed at the buffet, dropping them at the kids club, and going to dinner by myself. I will keep the kids with me during the day. We will be hanging by the pool and water slides.

I know it can be messy feeding little ones, but room service for breakfast might work. Let them eat dry cereal...like lucky charms/fruit loops. Take your own sippy cups and put milk or juice in there. I would avoid the main dining room unless they're really good sitting for a long time; most brunches can take over an hour. And for lunch, get their food all ready on the table (have a new friend guard it for you) and then pick them up from camp carnival. Most kids don't care if their food isn't as hot as adults like it anyways

There's also great room service options for lunch if anyone is having a meltdown and needs a nap or quiet place to recharge. Don't stress too much, your kiddos will pick up on it. It will be easier than you imagine. Especially once you get them in the kids club and they make friends.

Enjoy your vacation! The memories you make with your kids will be a treasure!

I'd go for room service breakfast. Also, if I remember correctly, there is asn option of kids eating with their groups for dinner. That would just leave lunch for the lido.

For sea days, you have to pick them up. But on port days if you're off the ship, they will feed them lunch

yeah that's right. I'm taking my two kids on a cruise by myself. Just found out, and I leave on Saturday on the fantasy.:eek: Really just looking for tips of people who have done something like this. My worries are mainly getting our food on the buffet. for breakfast and lunch.

For dinner I plan on getting the kids fed at the buffet, dropping them at the kids club, and going to dinner by myself. I will keep the kids with me during the day. We will be hanging by the pool and water slides.

skip the buffet for one! do mrd or room service. I hate buffet with one kid!

Me? I'd do room service for breakfast, then MDR for lunch, go early/later, find a table you can see the buffet from. Lido for dinner. Bring a fun back for them to play with stuff. dd's first cruise was at 14 months, though, we did tag team and walk around. so mdr for dinner might be harder. But breakfast and lunch in mdr IS faster, less wait.

Or depending on cruise line, room service for lunch as well. Take the tray out to the lido to enjoy.

lol at "like lucky charms/fruit loops" for a 2 year old.

Honestly, mdr isn't that bad, depending on cruise line, RCL has a little buffet set up in the mdr, then you can order off the menu, this was PERFECT for us.

General tips, do get boxes of cereal, milk, fruit to keep in room for when they NEED a snack NOW. DO plan downtime, let them play or rest quietly in the room, we do quiet time twice a day on a cruise.

Most cruiselines do dine and dash, or something, basically, the camp will pick up the kids in mdr and you can finish your dinner, assuming they eat off the kid's menu (which is mostly crap food, so dd doesn't eat off of it much). Or you can drop them off at the kid's club for dinner, at least the older one, not sure about 2 yr old.

Edited by Gardeneroflove

Someone will help you carry plates to the table with the kids and will get drinks for you in the buffet. Just approach one of the employees who are helping others who are there. I never have had to ask, someone always offered to carry my food and get my beverage for me.

Oh my...I'm officially awarding you the gold star to put on your forehead for outstanding bravery and a great attitude. I actually traveled with some extended family where it was a "sister" reunion that included the too young for school bunch...and it was good fun and very enjoyable. As others have said the staff will ID you very quickly and will jump at the chance to assist you with the wee ones (many who miss their own little ones with aching hearts). Don't hesitate to ask them and don't hesitate to ask passengers that are nearby. I think you'll be amazed at how generous with their time people can be on a cruise ship.

You must not have a 2 and 5 year old, lol.

The dining room is a much more expedited affair for breakfast and lunch. They also are very cognisant of the children and their needs; it is not like dinner. You might find that the children enjoy the experience, Be sure to prep them on what to expect, your expectations of them and build it up in their mind how wonderful it will be. Oh, and I did have two that were two years apart, it is doable. Good luck and have fun!!!!!

Ask a friend to join you so you are not a solo adult. Start dating :)

If you don't have anything positive to add, dont comment. Cant take a friend found out yesterday, it leaves saturday(reading comprehension is critical) And nobody said I was single. It's work related for my wife. Try to be funny elsewhere

I like the idea of using the MDR as much as possible. Using the buffet with two small kids sounds like a nightmare to me! Kids running all over, you have to do the food, now the kid ran away, who waits at the table? kids running all over with plates looking for a table. arrrrrgh! I can understand why you're worried about it, because it sounds like a pain in the neck!

At least in the dining room you're all sitting, they can have coloring pages or something to keep them occupied, you've got an eye on them, you can relax a little, everything comes to you. Take advantage of the services offered!

Hey man, you'll be on a cruise this weekend, and I won't! You win.

I have been taking my kids to sit down restaurants since they were infants. I know every kid is different, but you must make things simple. For example, the MDR is so much better than a buffet with kids.

Same thing with everything else you do on this trip, just keep it simple, don't overthink, and go with the flow with them.

Bring IPADS with lots of games and movies. I would also jump on the roll call if you haven't already and see if other parents are taking children that young, that way you could possibly hook up for a play date. Seriously sounds fun and you will make some very special memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You must not have a 2 and 5 year old, lol.

Guessing your response to me was sarcastic, but yes I've got two kids, both of whom have been eating in restaurants since those ages. Servers in the MDR are amazing with kids and there is then no worry about having to juggle getting food with watching kids. I'm glad others after you understood the logic.

The Camp will feed them dinner. On our Carnival cruises, you take them to a designated area of the buffet and check them in there. They feed them kid friendly type stuff. They take them back to camp from there. My husband and I eat alone most nights on the cruise.

And yes on the dining room and room service for breakfast and lunch.

Sorry you are going to be alone.

Edited by amyh13

Bring IPADS with lots of games and movies. I would also jump on the roll call if you haven't already and see if other parents are taking children that young, that way you could possibly hook up for a play date. Seriously sounds fun and you will make some very special memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill echo this post. If you don't have a problem with kids and devices. Preloaded movies and games are a huge help. Especially for the 2 year old, basic alphabet games are nice. PBS kids and Disney Junior are loved by my little ones

I would definitely go MDR for breakfast, its so much less hectic. I would probably just grab boxes of cereal from the lido for them to have while getting ready or light room service early and do a late breakfast or brunch in MDR, then something like pizza later in the day on lido when the crowds did down and you can seat them where you can see them while you get it. Tried lido once without DH when it was crowded and our son was very small and that was the last time. Enjoyed MDR so much more for breakfast solo and as a family. Hope it all goes well for you.

Wow. Two kids on your own. You are brave.

Just thinking on the fly here:

you could ask one of the crew members on the deck to give you a quick hand. People on the boards here may chime in and say "that isn't their job", but whatever, helping you for a few minutes isn't going to sink the ship.

Is the 5 year old responsible enough to follow you in the buffet line and hold his own plate while you scoop some food onto it while you handle food for you and the 2? I don't have kids so I don't know, just asking.

Other than that hit the MDR for as many meals as you can.

Don't be afraid to ask people for a hand. If I was eating food next to you, or was in line behind you and you asked if I could give you a quick hand scooping some food for carrying a tray or something I absolutely would. The worst people can say is no.

From what you say this is a bit sudden. Have you taken care of the legal side? Taking children on a holiday ex USA as a solo parent does typically need notarised authority from the absent parent. I take it you have done this and have the documents to show at embarkation check in.

Regards John

I have been cruising as a solo adult with my three kids for the last few years. I definitely think the MDR is the way to go. The waitstaff knows that kids won't sit long and they take care of you. Even on land I hated buffets when my kids were younger. I don't usually do room service because I don't like eating in the room, but you could order some snack type items so that if there is a wait in the restaurant there won't be any hunger related meltdowns. Or grab some from the buffet and keep them in the room throughout the cruise.