My cruise was cancelled!

January 2017 is pretty far away. I'm 25 years old.... I'll be 27 when I go on the cruise lol I would rather go on a cruise in 2016.

I am very sorry to hear what you are going through, however people here are trying to help you and give you other suggestions but you are being pretty adamant that you want what you had which is not going to happen.

You were willing to move your cruise from October to December (2 months later), but not an additional 2 weeks or so from December 16 to January 6???

If you don't want any of the options you were given get on the phone and find out what else they can do for you.

.....Americans have no idea just how large the CONTINENT of Australia really is......they hardly ever turn the desk globe.

Sydney to Audkland is not a big trip. Roughly 3 hour flight. I have flown far further than that to get on a cruise

OP I would take Merion Mom's advice. RCI has offered you the same itinerary and you're choosing not to accept it because you dont want to wait 3 months. Yes it is sad that you can't do your original plan but dwelling on that isn't helping you, you need a plan to move forward.

I have to disagree with what you said. Cruise contract or not, any business worth their salt would offer apples to apples. I think it is insulting to throw the contract in someone's face when they have a legitimate complaint. If you are price protected for a 14 day cruise that is what you should be offered and not for a 10 day cruise. Royal should take the hit on profit and give them carte blanche on any 14 day cruise. IMHO they are not getting what they paid for if they purchased 14 days and get 10, in this case only RCI wins.

Very few cruises can be compared "apples to apples". What's more important? The date the ship leaves? The date it returns? The length? The ports? The itinerary? The ship? You can't match everything. And there's no way for RCI to know why any cruiser picks a certain cruise.

I do think RCI should say "Here are your options: " and include the ship, departure date, and itinerary. Then the cruiser can determine what fits them better. But to ASSUME any of the above is acceptable based solely on a date? THAT'S on the cruiser.

.....Americans have no idea just how large the CONTINENT of Australia really is......they hardly ever turn the desk globe.

Speak for yourself. I can flat out guarantee you that I have a better knowledge of geography than you do. :rolleyes:

To the OP......so you see how you are trying to get help and as the forum goes on some impugn your motive as being "unreasonable" that all you want is what you reserved in the first place. Some will even impugn your abilities in subjects even though they have no idea who you are and what you did occupation wise. :rolleyes: For some RCL can never do anything wrong and will take all the crap that company puts out. They wave the "pom-poms" and cheer on a company that is in business to make as much money as they can and you are disposable if you get in their way of making money. You're "screwed" as I said before so take your hard earned money and spend it somewhere else that can fulfill your wishes. There's a lot of options out there so "get to it".:)

Not much consolation and it would not be my choice but I will add that usually the cruise line can offer you much more reasonable international airfare than you can book yourself. If you are leaning towards taking this cruise, maybe you can see how much their airfare is and negotiate some additional money towards airfare.

To the OP......so you see how you are trying to get help and as the forum goes on some impugn your motive as being "unreasonable" that all you want is what you reserved in the first place. Some will even impugn your abilities in subjects even though they have no idea who you are and what you did occupation wise. :rolleyes: For some RCL can never do anything wrong and will take all the crap that company puts out. They wave the "pom-poms" and cheer on a company that is in business to make as much money as they can and you are disposable if you get in their way of making money. You're "screwed" as I said before so take your hard earned money and spend it somewhere else that can fulfill your wishes. There's a lot of options out there so "get to it".:)

Here's the bottom line... the cruise the OP booked IS. NOT. AVAILABLE. Yes, it's a shame. But no amount of online venting, emailing, calling, hand wringing, yelling, crying, or anything else is going to change that fact.

Do you think, with all the information that is available to someone with internet access (which the OP apparently has), it's REASONABLE to book a cruise with just a date?

Did RCI "mess up" by not putting more details of the alternate cruises in the email? Yes. But that is easily remedied by researching online or on the phone when changing the cruise... "Is this the same itinerary of what I had previously booked?" That simple statement would have saved a lot of heartache.

People here saying "it's in the contract" aren't "cheerleading", they're stating facts.

Here's the bottom line... the cruise the OP booked IS. NOT. AVAILABLE. Yes, it's a shame. But no amount of online venting, emailing, calling, hand wringing, yelling, crying, or anything else is going to change that fact.

Do you think, with all the information that is available to someone with internet access (which the OP apparently has), it's REASONABLE to book a cruise with just a date?

Did RCI "mess up" by not putting more details of the alternate cruises in the email? Yes. But that is easily remedied by researching online or on the phone when changing the cruise... "Is this the same itinerary of what I had previously booked?" That simple statement would have saved a lot of heartache.

People here saying "it's in the contract" aren't "cheerleading", they're stating facts.

It may be in the contract, but that does not make it morally right, "Oh, we can make a bundle on a charter , so we will bump you". That is when the regulators need to step in as with the airlines. And venting is helpful emotionally. That said and moving on, if the OP will check the RCI website there are Sydney-NZ-Sydney identical cruises available in January 2017 when the weather is still warm. Also some earlier round trips might be open.

It may be in the contract, but that does not make it morally right, "Oh, we can make a bundle on a charter , so we will bump you". That is when the regulators need to step in as with the airlines. And venting is helpful emotionally. That said and moving on, if the OP will check the RCI website there are Sydney-NZ-Sydney identical cruises available in January 2017 when the weather is still warm. Also some earlier round trips might be open.

She doesn't want that one because she will be 3 months older, or something like that [emoji57]

Obviously, I do not know you personally. I do not know your circumstances. I do not know your life.

December 16 cruise includes Christmas. Perhaps you don't want to be away at Christmas. But that is considered an EXTREMELY desirable cruise, and I am surprised that they are offering it at all.

The January 6 cruise is IDENTICAL to your October cruise, and is less than three months later.

Seriously, you wouldn't switch to the 6th of January cruise, with additional OBC??????

You can't just stamp your feet and throw yourself on the floor, demanding your October cruise. It's gone. Deal with it. The alternatives are GOOD choices.

Or you can just get your money back and stay home.

+1.

Yes not what OP wants to hear but good, sound advice.

3 mths longer to wait may sound a lot but it will go quicker than you think.

Also, more time to save up for some spending $$ [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You just need to call back and explain your situation. See what they have to say, you never know, sometimes you get the right person on the phone and they can help sort things out. If you are still not happy you could pop in to see a travel agent and see if they can get your reservation transferred and help you make the best decision. If it doesn't work out, cancel and look for the right cruise or trip, you still have lots of time! Take a deep breath and relax this is not the end of the world, although it may seem like it now, everything will be alright!

Let us know what the outcome is!

I ended up just taking a cruise in 2017.... Unfortunately it means I'll have to wait 1.5 years before I get on the damn ship lol they didn't really give me much to choose from and didn't seem to give a crap if they made more money out of me. I've spoken to a travel agent about other cruises going in 2016, but by the looks of things, I'll have to end up paying more money & won't get the incentives I originally had, which is unfortunate. Oh well, 1.5 years will have to do :(

I ended up just taking a cruise in 2017.... Unfortunately it means I'll have to wait 1.5 years before I get on the damn ship lol they didn't really give me much to choose from and didn't seem to give a crap if they made more money out of me. I've spoken to a travel agent about other cruises going in 2016, but by the looks of things, I'll have to end up paying more money & won't get the incentives I originally had, which is unfortunate. Oh well, 1.5 years will have to do :(

Considering everything, a good call!

We waited 1.5 years doe our first cruise after booking....it does pass!

And if you are keen, you could always try a sneaky short 2 or 3 night cruise to no where (round trip from Syd!!) before hand ..to get your sea legs so to speak lol!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Obviously, I do not know you personally. I do not know your circumstances. I do not know your life.

December 16 cruise includes Christmas. Perhaps you don't want to be away at Christmas. But that is considered an EXTREMELY desirable cruise, and I am surprised that they are offering it at all.

The January 6 cruise is IDENTICAL to your October cruise, and is less than three months later.

Seriously, you wouldn't switch to the 6th of January cruise, with additional OBC??????

You can't just stamp your feet and throw yourself on the floor, demanding your October cruise. It's gone. Deal with it. The alternatives are GOOD choices.

Or you can just get your money back and stay home.

OP, this is good advice. Your original cruise is gone, and no amount of carrying on is going to change that. RCI has offered you some interesting options. If you don't want to fly, then wait and go on January 6th. If you don't want to wait until January then choose a different line.

Either take one of RCI's options and start planning, find another option and approach Royal Caribbean to see if they might be willing to consider it, or get your money back and plan something different.

Ok, so the product originally offered is no longer available. Of course you get a refund on any deposits you may have made. And as a bonus you get some special deals for your consideration. None of them may suit your needs, so you are free to go shop elsewhere. Sorry for your understandable sadness at needing to adapt to the changed reality, but really. What is the problem?

January 2017 is pretty far away. I'm 25 years old.... I'll be 27 when I go on the cruise lol I would rather go on a cruise in 2016.

1.5 years will someday seem to you like the blink of an eye.:)

I´m glad you were finally able to accept the inevitable and got a solution you can live with.

See...what did I predict?.....you got "screwed". RCL makes more money on a charter......you got thrown aside.......now you rebook and have to pay much more for the same cruise......and everything on board will cost more.....and guess what?.....RCL can go ahead and cancel THAT cruise in 1 1/2 years you have your heart set on now......The cruise line industry has one goal is to soak as much money out of it's passengers and will do "what ever it takes" to do so......much like the airlines extort money the only difference with the cruise line so many passengers are "fat, drunk and stupid" (thanks Animal House) and don't recognize the facts. Now raise those Pom-poms and cheer, cheer, cheer that wonderful cruise line.

We've had this thing happen twice to us. It really is a kick in the pants and I do wish cruise lines would do more for people who book and then are cancelled on. Most of us have to book air and hotels which are not so easy to move around. You have my sympathy, which is more than I can say about RCI.

I was booked on one of the FIVE ships that NCL just redeployed. That's not individual cruises that were cancelled, but entire seasons of sailings. I would love to have been given even a fraction of these options to rebook. What it boils down to with Norwegian is if I can't cruise 9-12 months early (which I can't), I am more than welcome to pay today's rate and I will get a $100 OBC for my inconvenience.:p The NCL "offer" makes RCI's list look pretty darn good in my opinion!

See...what did I predict?.....you got "screwed". RCL makes more money on a charter......you got thrown aside.......now you rebook and have to pay much more for the same cruise......and everything on board will cost more.....and guess what?.....RCL can go ahead and cancel THAT cruise in 1 1/2 years you have your heart set on now......The cruise line industry has one goal is to soak as much money out of it's passengers and will do "what ever it takes" to do so......much like the airlines extort money the only difference with the cruise line so many passengers are "fat, drunk and stupid" (thanks Animal House) and don't recognize the facts. Now raise those Pom-poms and cheer, cheer, cheer that wonderful cruise line.

Your posts make me wonder why you're here. I can understand disliking the cruise lines' policies...you sound like you detest the entire industry, yet you're spending your time on a cruise board.:confused:

Edited by Cindy

I was booked on one of the FIVE ships that NCL just redeployed. That's not individual cruises that were cancelled, but entire seasons of sailings. I would love to have been given even a fraction of these options to rebook. What it boils down to with Norwegian is if I can't cruise 9-12 months early (which I can't), I am more than welcome to pay today's rate and I will get a $100 OBC for my inconvenience.:p The NCL "offer" makes RCI's list look pretty darn good in my opinion!

I have a lot of sympathy for the people booked on the NCL ships which were redeployed. It's not like you can broker a deal for Asian and Australian cruises overnight. So they KNOWINGLY sold a whole season of bookings for cruises that they had no intention of filling. And as of right now these unfortunate people have only been given a few dates for price protected cruises and have to wait until August 17th to find out more i.e. itineraries. Yes all of this may be part of the contract, but it's very poor customer service to stick it to your customers this way.

I wish that I could simply pay $200 to kick the people out of my favorite room the ship. Maybe I could get RCCL to contact the couple and tell them that their room has been "chartered" and get them to move out of MY room. ;)