Australia 2017 - Great Pricing!

I happened to notice this discussion, please excuse me for putting in a comment. I had previously booked a 13 day Australia/NZ for 2016, price was great (inside cabin came out to about $150/day), was all excited. Then I started pricing out all of the other pieces of the trip. The flight length from Florida was awful, meaning I would have to split trip into a few stops with overnight hotels. Even looking at Choice Air, airfare was going to be well over $2200. Then I looked at the shore excursions, again, prices at least double over other ports. Pre and post cruise hotels were well over $200. Food also sky high. And of concern to me was the complex arrangements needed, if one airline cancelled a flight (which is becoming routine) or was late, there was a ripple effect. By the time I got done with my estimates the total cost of the trip would have been well over triple the cost of the cruise itself. With great regret I cancelled the cruise and booked a Baltic cruise instead.

If you are going to do a B2B or multiple cruises, then the airfare might be worth it. You'd still have the other high expenses though. I looked at that option also, but even on sale the price of a B2B or transpacific were very high.

By all means do the cruise, or cruises, everyone has their own viewpoint. I am just offering a caution based on my own experience, and I am a very frugal traveler who finds every possible deal. This is a part of the world I should have gone to when I first retired.

I booked my 13 day NZ/8 day Australia B2B for 2017, prepared for sticker shock on the air. The cruise for 21 days comes out to $150. for 21 days. Granted I'm in a tiny cabin, but I can live with it, I was amazed at the price, considering Princess prices I expected it to be close to five grand!

I book long cruises, don't worry about the air or shore excursions because I'm seeing a place I haven't been. I've been to Tahiti, Bora Bora, etc., and I've always wanted to do an Australian/NZ cruise. This year I'm doing a Med plus a TA, next year is a TA plus the Baltic, all things from my want to do list.

Edited by susancruzs

I booked my 13 day NZ and 8 day Australia B2B for 2017, and I am prepared for sticker shock on the air. The cruise for 21 days is just over 3,000. for a single, can't pass it up.

I book long cruises, I don't worry about the air or shore excursions because I'm seeing a place I haven't been and I want to do it. I've been to Tahiti, Bora Bora, etc., and I've always wanted to do an Australian/NZ cruise. This year I'm doing a Med plus a TA, next year is a TA plus the Baltic, all things from my want to do list.

Us too. We booked Pacific Islands, NZ, AU, and TP for 2017. That's why we saved our money all our working years. Now we are enjoying it!