Avoid the the spa on the Eclipse

Mary Parker

Another 3rd party service is provided by the medical staff in the urgent care clinic, lab, etc.

My experience in the spa area is being required to sign a legal document prior to service (that lists the service booked) and lovers them from "release of responsibility" from unintended harm as a result of the treatment. I have even had to sign this for a pedicure.

Any waiver you sign does not release the service provider from gross negligence on their part.

I know people mean well, but I would no more seek or take legal advice from a cruise forum than I would seek cruise advice from a legal forum.

I'm sure there are anonymous posters on the internet who will provide step by step instructions on how to remove your own appendix and I would also be hesitant to take that advice.

I know people mean well, but I would no more seek or take legal advice from a cruise forum than I would seek cruise advice from a legal forum.

I'm sure there are anonymous posters on the internet who will provide step by step instructions on how to remove your own appendix and I would also be hesitant to take that advice.

What an assinine thing to say. No one is advising anyone regarding legal particularity, merely advising her of her rights in general. And if you wish to have my credentials, post your email and I will be happy to send them.

What an assinine thing to say. No one is advising anyone regarding legal particularity, merely advising her of her rights in general. And if you wish to have my credentials, post your email and I will be happy to send them.

Well, I beg to differ. This is not the Forum to offer knee jerk legal advice. A professional would refrain.

Now, do you have any advice on removal of ones own appendix or is the legal profession your only area of expertise ?

Edited by WpgCruise

Well, that escalated quickly.

LOL. It reminds me of a favorite story of mine.

Once my younger cousin was accused of an illegal activity by his ex-girlfriend (it was a BS claim - she was just ticked to now be the EX). cops showed up cordoned off the building set a perimeter etc....

I rolled in to help out my cousin and began speaking with the cops and asking serious legal type questions concerning their demeanor and the issue at hand, and noting badge numbers and car numbers. The officer asked me "Who are you, the family attorney?" I replied, "No, I just watch a lot of Judge Judy" After another half hour of their BS, they let him go and undid their perimeter.

Should have seen the cops face when I answererd him... Priceless. :D

My take on this thread, OP never indicated any type of lawsuit, so it's all silly. BUT if GROSS negligence were proven, the waiver would be useless, but proving "gross negligence" would be difficult.

Damages would be even more difficult, especially if OP did not visit the ships' doctor and get a report done, and the cruise/spa would also likely argue that they continued on their voyage and did not seek medical assistance at the next stop, so there could not have been too much pain and suffering either.

End of day, maybe a refund of the spa fees for the treatment, in my Judge Judy opinion. ;)

Edited by cle-guy

I doubt the OP would want to make a legal claim.

What would she claim for? Pain and suffering? Not being able to wear make up? Not being able to take the sun?

If she needed medical help, I am sure the spa took responsibility.

When it was Steiner, my DH, who has feet problems, had his first pedicure.

The girl pulled a toenail off. She was devastated. The manager and staff were very attentive. They sent him to the doctor immediately.

Moral of the story for him, was to go to a podiatrist on a regular basis in the future!

Since my very first cruise, I have always had several massages each trip. At home, I would have one once or twice a year.

Now, I finally, got smart. I go to an excellent one regularly and who knows if I will even take one massage on my next cruise. It's a long way off, so we shall see. But having someone so tuned into my problems is much better that the luck of the draw on a ship. I have had some that were very good, but many that I would call "generic, one size fits all" massages. Relaxing, but not that helpful.

Yes this is normal. Before Canyon Ranch took over the Spa, I think it was Elemis Spas who operated them.

Many of the outlets on cruise ships are operated by 3rd parties - the shops, the photographers, even shore excursions X contracts out and don't actually run them themselves.

Thanks for the reply. I must have known this but never considered the possible implications before.

Using contractors for these services cannot absolve the cruise line of responsibility if things go wrong. As has been pointed out, neither can the signing of a piece of paper absolve the contractor itself.

I am not trying to offer legal advice by the way! (I don't know who Judge Judy is, but I think I get the point).

Does anyone from Celebrity read these threads? If so, does action get taken do you think?

Thanks for the reply. I must have known this but never considered the possible implications before.

Using contractors for these services cannot absolve the cruise line of responsibility if things go wrong. As has been pointed out, neither can the signing of a piece of paper absolve the contractor itself.

I am not trying to offer legal advice by the way! (I don't know who Judge Judy is, but I think I get the point).

Does anyone from Celebrity read these threads? If so, does action get taken do you think?

WW - you cannot seriously expect ANYONE from X to comment on this thread without any 'real' facts?

Additionally, it would be totally irresponsible for them to answer such questions in a public forum such as this.

Enjoy your cruise...

WW - you cannot seriously expect ANYONE from X to comment on this thread without any 'real' facts?

Additionally, it would be totally irresponsible for them to answer such questions in a public forum such as this.

Enjoy your cruise...

They don't even know if it really happened. It's one post from someone who has not replied to a request for more info. Ok they may come back all indignant because I pointed that out but there has to be a level of doubt. If I'm on trip advisor and a restaurant has overall great reviews and then a poster with no previous history states they were poisoned there I'm not going to phone the inspectors.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. Just to clarify... I asked for a sensitive facial and the technician in her own wisdom gave me a treatment I did not ask for., a vitamin peel . I have had many facials over the years and have not had any problems. I do believe the technician who gave me the "facial" is not fully qualified or likely incompentent. I only wanted to advise other potential customers of the spa to be vigiliant. I am recovering but it has not been a good experience and I still have very very dry and sensitive skin. I was told that Celebrity would contact me... but as of yet - No contact. Please be wary.

Edited by Mary Parker