Balcony with white wall??

AprilJ

On the Magic and Wonder, it means that rather than having a plexiglass "wall" forming your balcony with a wooden railing at the top, you have a white metsl "wall" with the same wood at the top. The difference is that in a plexiglass wall cabin you can see the ocean while seated. OK, it can be a bit "dirty" due to ocean spray, etc. With the solid wall, you have to stand up to view the ocean.

"worth it" is always a personal situation. I've stayed in a solid wall balcony and would happily do it again.

A white wall balcony is different than a partially obstructed view. The white wall is about 42 inches high, so you can easily see over it while standing. It is the same height as the railing on the standard balcony, it is just made of metal rather than plexiglass.

But it is totally possible that you can google it and find photos on line.

Most ocean gazing is done standing at the rail. The plexiglass does get dirty and smudged from the salt spray....so your "sitting" view will be compromised. Having the wall there really doesn't obstruct your view from the cabin, as you'll be standing at the doorway!

Most ocean gazing is done standing at the rail. The plexiglass does get dirty and smudged from the salt spray....so your "sitting" view will be compromised. Having the wall there really doesn't obstruct your view from the cabin, as you'll be standing at the doorway!

Why would you be standing at the doorway, not at the rail, and not sitting down?

If the plexiglass is too opaque with salt spray, and for whatever reason hasn't been cleaned by the yellow jumpsuit crew, just ask your Stateroom Host to have it cleaned?

ex techie

I was gonna ask the same "standing in the doorway" question...isn't the point of a balcony to be out on it?

I agree. I don't understand cb at sea's post anymore than you do, apart from they have mentioned it had sea spray on the outside before in another thread.

It really is part of cruising to realise that there may be more spray than other times depending on the wave height, wind direction, whether you have a couple of days at sea where they cannot send the guys out over the side of the ship to clean the verandahs, whether they are allowed to use cleaning agents in that port. Many reasons.

But i'm sure your Stateroom Host will happily clean or have someone clean the plexiglass for you if you ask them.

ex techie

When they can't send someone over the side to do all the balconies, your stateroom host can use a sponge on a stick sort of thing and do just your balcony while he/she is standing on your balcony. However, that isn't part of their normal responsibilities. They will clean it if you ask.