Lobster still on 1st

CSRAJ81

Last time i sailed on the GEM they served LOBSTER on the first night we sailed out of NYC wondering if they still do it on the first night :confused: After the sail away party we were to full to enjoy it, hope someone can answer my question, we are sailing on Nov. 13, 2015 :rolleyes:

WHAT, NO LOBSTER, :mad: They raised the price and did away with a "small" lobster tail, DAM, that's a shame, whats next? A charge for the shows:eek:

It's been over a year since they did away with the lobster in the MDR, so it's not to be lumped in with all the recent price changes.

Shrimp cocktail still available in MDR. Order as many as you want on the house.

Little tiny shrimp. I remember the 'good ole days' of large shrimp hanging off the goblet. Now tiny ones are inside almost hidden in the bed of lettuce.

Shrimp cocktail still available in MDR. Order as many as you want on the house.

We were on an eight night cruise on the Gem in June testing the new menus and we never had shrimp cocktail on the menu. It's my favorite so I would have eaten that.

No lobster in MDRs at all. There is only seafood "something" (I think it was pasta with bits of different seafoods) in the buffet on 2nd night.

When we were on the Pearl a couple of months ago; acutally 3 months the new menus were out and we had some seafood almost nightly. No, not Lobster, that went away many years ago, but we did have seafood. In fact on the "always avail" menu, called something different now, they had a seafood dish. I think it was flounder. They also had Salmon a couple of nights. I am not quite sure what ship you were on or when you last sailied?

Little tiny shrimp. I remember the 'good ole days' of large shrimp hanging off the goblet. Now tiny ones are inside almost hidden in the bed of lettuce.

Don't we all, but this is the way of most lines today. We were on Princess a few years ago: 14 day cruise and we ate mostly in the MDR except formal nights: never saw the old shrimp cocktails we all remember.

When we were on the Pearl a couple of months ago; acutally 3 months the new menus were out and we had some seafood almost nightly. No, not Lobster, that went away many years ago, but we did have seafood. In fact on the "always avail" menu, called something different now, they had a seafood dish. I think it was flounder. They also had Salmon a couple of nights. I am not quite sure what ship you were on or when you last sailied?

I was referring to buffet dish called Seafood Extravaganza or something like that - which is currently only complimentary dish with lobster in it. Of course there are fish dishes in MDRs.

Edited by Demonyte

Pet peeve: Why do ppl refer to "free" food on a cruise? Nothing is free! It's either paid for with your base fare or it's an additional fee or "up charge." I track fares closely and believe me the fares are not decreasing with all the cuts. There are " specials" but many received large OBCs, UDP, and UBP in 2014.

A close runner up to this is "you can't get a good steak for $30 "at home." Well the meal is not $30. It's $30 plus some undisclosed amount that you already paid towards a meal for the night. I can get a good $50 or $60 steak meal (I don't need multiple courses or prefix at Ruth's Chris or a T-bone and one side at Ruth's Chris). I can also go to Fogo De Chao for Brazilian steakhouse for $50 and Pay $35 for a Japanese steakhouse. The gratuity is the same at this point (18%) and technically beverages are not included either way.

Don't get me wrong, I like cruising. But I do know there are alternatives. I like going to different islands but sometimes I like staying in one place. My family took a trip to Jamaica(one of the ports on my upcoming cruise) and we paid $800 pp ($0 for my at the time 1 yo) all inclusive for 5 days for a suite. It was a nice hotel (major name brand). All food (including speciality restaurants at the resort), alcohol (even had a loaded alcohol dispenser in our room), beverages, and non motorized water sports were included. It was on the beach, had beautiful pools, a kids club (son was too young to go), live entertainment at night, entertainment during the day, and a swim-up bar. No DSC and taxes were less than port taxes. It was an awesome vaykay! I'm saying all this to say the options are vast in the world of travel. You will either pay upfront or you will add on but trust me nothing in the vacation world is "free."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk