Any advice on the 14-day Antarctica cruise on Infinity?

OnTheJourney

The ship has some excursions that look nice too. I don't want to overthink or overcomplicate all of this, especially after about a year's worth of correspondence back and forth with Alla Tours regarding excursions that I just got done doing as part of a Baltic cruise. If I get to see some penguins up close...anywhere...I'll be content.

The ship has some excursions that look nice too. I don't want to overthink or overcomplicate all of this, especially after about a year's worth of correspondence back and forth with Alla Tours regarding excursions that I just got done doing as part of a Baltic cruise. If I get to see some penguins up close...anywhere...I'll be content.

Try the Lehigh Valley Zoo :D

(I couldn't resist......LOL)

Susie...where did you see that the Pira starts at 8? I can't find any detailed info like that. Which tour were you looking at?

You need to organise a tour that fits in with the ship, start some correspondence, I am sure that they will fit in with the ship's times.:D

for what it is worth:

1) Patrick Watts tour was the adventure of a life time IMO. YES...you are in a 4X 4 vehicle...and you are going over the BOGS...which are rough and very bumpy. My DH gets car sick and he was OK...but TBH...there was one time we all thought the car might tip over...if I knew how to do it I would post the pic!!! He sat in the front seat BTW...car for 4 plus the driver/guide. But not all the trip is on that type of surface...but a lot of it is...re a bathroom break...go before you leave and there are "porta-potties" there at the site. IF you decide to do this book it NOW...as mentioned...he is very popular and everyone on the island works for him on port days...we are talking farmers etc...who all join in to take you there and back. We booked 2 years out...and there were people just off the ship who were all turned away...by everyone...who had not pre-booked.

2) Other places to see penguins...yes...there are many...including many already mentioned...and I think I have been lucky enough to do them all...BUT...I was never as close up as I was on Patrick's tour....I had one come right up to me...open his mouth...and start "talking"...AMAZING!!!

3) I was on the cruise with "Mic"...and we did see an amazing number of penguins in the water...right off the bow...hard to see as they are pretty tiny looking that far up...but take your "bi-knoks" and you will be fine!

4) Since I have been lucky enough to be down there 2X I booked EACH and every chance I had to see the penguins...both on the round the horn cruise and the A cruise. As Mic mentioned...you might not get into the Falklands ....so better to be safe than sorry...BTW...Patrick Watts is a hero there...read his story about what he did during the war with Argentina!!

5) If you think the Falklands is too rough re road then do consider a tour out of Ushuaia...we did that too...but that was on a catamaran...it's a big one..but it takes about 2 hours each way to get out to the island...and then the boat is "beached" so that you can watch the penguins...from the boat...(If this is the right tour, Mic?) You don't get off the boat...or have any close interaction with them at all...I think there are other tours where you get a little closer...but nothing like on the Falklands.

6) If you go...please take all the advice you have here re being sea-sick...I know there is nothing worse...but...as mentioned...it's part of a "mind" thing too...I don't suggest the "patch"...it can cause nightmares for some and contains "belladonna"...which will dilate your eyes...lots of other better things to try/bring along...IF you start to feel bad...get out into the fresh air...don't stay inside!!! Take deep breaths...and don't look at the horizons...and try and focus on something else...eat those crackers and green apples, ginger etc.

7) OH...I so hope you go...you will not regret a moment of it...I'm sure...All your CC buddies are here to help you...and hope you have the experience of the life time you have always dreamed of....dream on dear friend!!! LuAnn

Edited by LuAnn

Thanks for extra info. If I book with Pira is it really also necessary to do the Watts tour?

We have actually done both the Pira Tours trip to Harberton Ranch twice and the Patrick Watts tour to Volunteer Point once. We were B2B2B on the Infinity, and had port calls at Ushuaia on the first and second leg, and then at Port Stanley on the first leg.

My husband is a birder, and so penguin tours were of great interest. And since it is not unusual for these cruises to miss a port due to bad weather I booked the Pira Tour for both port calls at Ushuaia, and was so glad that I did as the Pira Tour to Harberton Ranch was absolutely wonderful. We thought it was much better than the Patrick Watts trip to Volunteer Point.

We also saw thousands of penguins from the ship when at Paradise Bay, which introduces another topic -- good quality binoculars. While the great majority of passengers on the Antarctic cruise did have decent binoculars, there were still some folks who were trying to use those worthless ones from their staterooms. If you didn't have decent binoculars those penguins in Paradise Bay would have looked like rocks along the shore.

While most folks talk about penguins, my birder husband saw twenty new species of sea birds on that series of cruises, including seven new species of albatrosses.

Definitely, as mentioned they only take 40 people per day onto the island (2 groups of 20) so you have to get in early. We had booked nearly 2 years ahead.:D

Several months ago Pira Tours was operating two trips a day (a morning and then a second afternoon trip) to Harberton Ranch. On each of our trips they took about 18 to 20 folks at a time on the enclosed Zodiac over to Martillo Island, while the others visited the specimen museum. When the Zodiac returned to the island to pick up those who first were taken over the second group was delivered. It appeared to me that the Zodiac could have held another five or six adults. So they could have accommodated fifty adults on each the morning and afternoon tours.

We had pre-booked our trips with Pira Tours on both of our port calls, but both times there were folks who just walked up to their kiosk to purchase tours.

Yes, it was a great cruise Luann.

You may have done another tour in Ushuaia as we went with Harold's group and got onto the island for around 1 1/2 hours from Harberton Ranch.

In regards to Pira tours and Martillo island out of Ushuaia, we got to walk among the penguins and their rookeries rather than staying on the catamaran. As mentioned previously and by Northern Aurora, only 2 groups of 20 are allowed onto the island, as it is owned by Harberton Ranch, I suggest booking early.

A good camera with a good zoom lens for distance, spare batteries and a good set of binoculars will make it that much more enjoyable.

Edited by MicCanberra

I just looked at the website again and there is a second daily tour at 2:30. It does appear they want you to prepay which is not the case with Patrick so I'm wondering about having to cancel with the penalty.

Edited by susiej4
Spelling

I just looked at the website again and there is a second daily tour at 2:30. It does appear they want you to prepay which is not the case with Patrick so I'm wondering about having to cancel with the penalty.

I think if you email them about the date and the ship times, they will accommodate the tours, especially if you have a CC group. As for paying in advance, that is a personal decision (we have travel insurance to cover things like that).

I did hear back from Sebastian at Pira and they will put together a 10 o'clock tour for our ship with confirmation from 10 people. I have posted the information on our roll call Infinity February 5, 2017. If anyone from 2016 is interested, he said they are booking that now. Here is the info....

WALK IN PENGUIN ROOKERY

Departing from our office at the tourist dock in Ushuaia, we drive in our modern minibuses towards northeast along Nationals route 3 & J, the legendary road to Estancia Harberton (the first farm on the island, founded in 1886 by the Anglican missionary Thomas Bridges, located 90 Km from Ushuaia, on the Beagle Channel).

We sail from Harberton harbor to Martillo Island, a 15 minute ride on a semi-rigid boat (vessel capable of navigation in the area). On the island, we will walk for 1 hour along Gentoo and Magellanic penguins, always with a guide, experiencing a unique adventure only with us!

TOTAL TIME: 6 hours (Starting at 8am & 2.30pm)

FEE FROM USHUAIA: U$D 110 + entrance fee to Harberton Farm (U$D 20 per person)

I did hear back from Sebastian at Pira and they will put together a 10 o'clock tour for our ship with confirmation from 10 people. I have posted the information on our roll call Infinity February 5, 2017.

I hope you enjoy your Pira Tour excursion to Harberton Ranch as much as we did as we felt it was superior to the Patrick Watts organized excursion to Volunteer Point.

During the maximum bird activity at Martillo Island, given the number of breeding pairs, chick mortality rates and so forth the scientists working on Martillo Island believe that there are 20,000 (yes -- twenty thousand) penguins on that island. My husband is an avid birder (but not obsessive) and he felt that the bird guides with us on Martillo Island were extremely knowledgeable. And since it is a small group (in our case 18 - 20 people) the guides are readily available to answer questions. The guides also provide an orientation before boarding the enclosed Zodiac for the trip across Beagle Channel regarding how to behave (i.e. no loud talking, no sudden movements and do not approach the penguins but let the penguins approach you) and were firm that absolutely no trash -- even snack cracker crumbs -- be left on the island. The birds were so comfortable with us walking among them that one was laying on a pathway and we had to actually step over it. They didn't appear stressed by our visit at all.

In contrast, there were many more people at Volunteer Point in the Falklands. Not only does Patrick Watts organize the 4 x 4 trips there, but at least one other company also does so. There were no bird guides -- people are just let loose. I didn't count the number of 4 x 4 vehicles in the parking lot but there must have been at least 50, so with 4 customers per vehicle there must have been 200 people along that point. Some folks were calling/yelling to friends. Some small kids were running toward the birds. The only information regarding the birds which I saw was one faded plywood sign on the side of the woman's sani-can facility and two round plywood disks laying on the ground (I suspect the disks were the two sides of a sign which had been mounted in the ground at some point). Unfortunately, in February 2015, there was some trash on the ground (such as water bottle caps and empty snack cracker bags). But more unfortunate it seemed to me that some of the birds acted stressed. But there are a number if King penguins at Volunteer Point (only 5 or 6 at Martillo Island at this point).

I did hear back from Sebastian at Pira and they will put together a 10 o'clock tour for our ship with confirmation from 10 people. I have posted the information on our roll call Infinity February 5, 2017.

I hope you enjoy your Pira Tour excursion to Harberton Ranch as much as we did as we felt it was superior to the Patrick Watts organized excursion to Volunteer Point.

During the maximum bird activity at Martillo Island, given the number of breeding pairs, chick mortality rates and so forth the scientists working on Martillo Island believe that there are 20,000 (yes -- twenty thousand) penguins on that island. My husband is an avid birder (but not obsessive) and he felt that the bird guides with us on Martillo Island were extremely knowledgeable. And since it is a small group (in our case 18 - 20 people) the guides are readily available to answer questions. The guides also provide an orientation before boarding the enclosed Zodiac for the trip across Beagle Channel regarding how to behave (i.e. no loud talking, no sudden movements and do not approach the penguins but let the penguins approach you) and were firm that absolutely no trash -- even snack cracker crumbs -- be left on the island. The birds were so comfortable with us walking among them that one was laying on a pathway and we had to actually step over it. They didn't appear stressed by our visit at all.

In contrast, there were many more people at Volunteer Point in the Falklands. Not only does Patrick Watts organize the 4 x 4 trips there, but at least one other company also does so. There were no bird guides -- people are just let loose. I didn't count the number of 4 x 4 vehicles in the parking lot but there must have been at least 50, so with 4 customers per vehicle there must have been 200 people along that point. Some folks were calling/yelling to friends. Some small kids were running toward the birds. The only information regarding the birds which I saw was one faded plywood sign on the side of the woman's sani-can facility and two round plywood disks laying on the ground (I suspect the disks were the two sides of a sign which had been mounted in the ground at some point). Unfortunately, in February 2015, there was some trash on the ground (such as water bottle caps and empty snack cracker bags). But more unfortunate it seemed to me that some of the birds acted stressed. But there are a number if King penguins at Volunteer Point (only 5 or 6 at Martillo Island at this point).

As mentioned...over and over on CC...each and every experience can be different. I think all of us...as active,interested CC members ...can only post what we saw/heard/experienced. Each experience can be so different...and that is why I think we post our travel experiences...what you describe..I did not see...there were "monitors" on site and signs...well posted...to be sure the animals were respected...and no one got too close! There were no "friends" running around calling to each other"!!! We were not "let loose"!!!! The animal who got close to me...made his own decision...I was well out of the "lines" of encounter.I saw no "kids" running towards the birds....please....be sure that YOUR experience...while valid...does not "stand" as the "norm" for what happens there!! I think that is unfair and can be a trip by trip experience. I appreciate your help and advice to other CC members...but please.....each "adventure" is not always the same, right???? LuAnn

Edited by LuAnn

I did hear back from Sebastian at Pira and they will put together a 10 o'clock tour for our ship with confirmation from 10 people. I have posted the information on our roll call Infinity February 5, 2017. If anyone from 2016 is interested, he said they are booking that now. Here is the info....

WALK IN PENGUIN ROOKERY

Departing from our office at the tourist dock in Ushuaia, we drive in our modern minibuses towards northeast along Nationals route 3 & J, the legendary road to Estancia Harberton (the first farm on the island, founded in 1886 by the Anglican missionary Thomas Bridges, located 90 Km from Ushuaia, on the Beagle Channel).

We sail from Harberton harbor to Martillo Island, a 15 minute ride on a semi-rigid boat (vessel capable of navigation in the area). On the island, we will walk for 1 hour along Gentoo and Magellanic penguins, always with a guide, experiencing a unique adventure only with us!

TOTAL TIME: 6 hours (Starting at 8am & 2.30pm)

FEE FROM USHUAIA: U$D 110 + entrance fee to Harberton Farm (U$D 20 per person)

Excellent, I am sure that will fill up quickly. The ship's shorex that get the catamaran to the island were more expensive when we did ours (2014) at around $199.

Edited by MicCanberra

Congratulations on booking your trip to Antarctica. It's a really magical place and -- even from a distance -- you'll have an amazing time. Many of the best pictures I took were from the deck of the ship.

The first penguins we saw on the trip were sailing out of the harbor in Ushuaia (Magellanics). It might be worth your while to invest in a bring a good pair of binoculars. They will also be good for getting close ups of whale tails and seals -- there are so many different kinds of seals! I don't know if you have time in Ushuaia, but there may also be penguins to see there.

We were lucky to have really fabulous weather, and I was relieved. It was my first cruise ever and we were on a quite small ship (fewer than 100 pax). The Drake Crossing went pretty easy; some rocking one night that left me sliding from one end of the bed to the other, but it was never really that bad.

And it wasn't as cold as you'd think. I will admit that I'm from a state that does get cold in the winter, so I'm used to being in temps in the 20s and 30s. But most days, it was pleasant enough outside -- temps in the upper 30s/low 40s and little wind. I had a jacket that was a water and wind-proof shell with a zip-in fleece lining. It kept me plenty warm. Do make sure you have a comfortable hat and gloves and sock liners. If my feet are cold, my whole body is cold!

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for all the additional info. It certainly sounds like the Pira tour is well worth it. I have to look carefully through the ship brochure and try to make some decisions. It's still hard for me to believe that excursions down there are booked so far ahead of time. I would think this is the case moreso with private rather than X excursions.

Edited by three4rd

Thanks for all the additional info. It certainly sounds like the Pira tour is well worth it. I have to look carefully through the ship brochure and try to make some decisions. It's still hard for me to believe that excursions down there are booked so far ahead of time. I would think this is the case moreso with private rather than X excursions.

Yes, in this case, you may not even be able to book the Ship's tours. As for Pira tour, it is because you have 40 spots per day and when a ship comes in (not always the only ship) the demand is high.

The Infinity has around 2000 pax.

Yes, in this case, you may not even be able to book the Ship's tours. As for Pira tour, it is because you have 40 spots per day and when a ship comes in (not always the only ship) the demand is high.

The Infinity has around 2000 pax.

That's why DW and I are saving for NatGeo to Antarctica. To go all that way and not touch land would be a shame for me. It will take some time though.

That's why DW and I are saving for NatGeo to Antarctica. To go all that way and not touch land would be a shame for me. It will take some time though.

If that is what you want, it is best to do it properly, for me I wanted to see it in 5 star comfort. Didn't need to stand on the ice, also while not cheap, it is a lot cheaper than an expedition.:D

If you can pull it off, you will not regret it. Here's a link to my photo/journal of our expedition on the NatGeo Explorer to Antarctica two years ago.

https://antarcticjourney.wordpress.com/

And of course it's about way more than "touching land" or "standing on the ice." Zodiac cruising, for example, turned out to be far more amazing than we could ever have imagined -- being on a small craft like that, at water level, and getting up close to icebergs and sailing around them, the same for ice floes with leopard seals on them, having whales literally swim under the zodiac, pulling up near the shore to watch penguins jumping in... Words don't do the experience justice, but it's about much more than stepping on the continent.

If you can pull it off, you will not regret it. Here's a link to my photo/journal of our expedition on the NatGeo Explorer to Antarctica two years ago.

https://antarcticjourney.wordpress.com/

And of course it's about way more than "touching land" or "standing on the ice." Zodiac cruising, for example, turned out to be far more amazing than we could ever have imagined -- being on a small craft like that, at water level, and getting up close to icebergs and sailing around them, the same for ice floes with leopard seals on them, having whales literally swim under the zodiac, pulling up near the shore to watch penguins jumping in... Words don't do the experience justice, but it's about much more than stepping on the continent.

Sorry, I didn't want to belittle doing that, I am sure it is even more fantastic being on the water at level of a zodiac rather than on deck 5 or higher on a ship.

My point was, I didn't need to do that to have a absolutely wonderful time and in a price range that suited my budget-$3,000 each for 2 weeks on a 5 star large ship in a balcony cabin, compared to $12,000 each for one week on an expedition.

One thing for sure is that words cannot do the beauty justice.

Sorry, I didn't want to belittle doing that, I am sure it is even more fantastic being on the water at level of a zodiac rather than on deck 5 or higher on a ship.

My point was, I didn't need to do that to have a absolutely wonderful time and in a price range that suited my budget-$3,000 each for 2 weeks on a 5 star large ship in a balcony cabin, compared to $12,000 each for one week on an expedition.

One thing for sure is that words cannot do the beauty justice.

I don't think any of us CCers who have not had that "on land" experience are trying to belittle your fabulous experience. BRAVO!!! And I'm sure it was just amazing!!! I think what Mic and I are trying to explain is what it is like for the X cruisers ...who are on this thread..asking about the type of experience we had...on that cruise line..for a 14 day cruise...that is what we are trying to help with!!! LuAnn

We loved the cruise and did miss Stanley on our cruise and skipped Elephant island due to dense fog. It snowed on one of our sea days. Actually missed Antarctica on our first attempt, but tried a second time and had a National Geographic day there.

We packed in layers as we went from summer to spring to winter and back in the course of 14 days.

Would do that cruise again if we had time. Loved Infinity for that cruise.