Nasi Goreng

NapTown Jim

If Fra Diavolo is memorable you might want to be cautious with sambals when you start. Imagine a paste made of reconstituted dried hot chili pepper flakes seeds and all. Enjoy your adventures in heat. LOL

bosco

Thank you for your warning. I will make sure that I have lots of bottled water and Pepcid AC in my hotel room those evenings.

Looking forward to experimenting with it; that is what travel is all about: new adventures that one does not experience at home.

The first and only time I've had Nasi Goreng (sp?) was on a Holland America cruise. I loved it. We're booked on a 11 day Panama Canal cruise on the Zuiderdam on Nov. 9 and we're planning on eating dinner one or two nights at the Pinnacle Grill but I don't want to make reservations there and miss out on the Nasi Goreng. My question is, when we board the ship who can we talk to that can tell us if they will serve that and if so, what night?

We had Nasi Goreng on the Zuiderdam in April/May in the Mediterranean. There was a special Indonesian lunch when all the waiters wore their Indonesian Shirts and were so proud of the food they were serving us.

We ate so much at lunch we cancelled our booking in the MDR that night as we could not have eaten any more food.

I loved the Nasi Goreng too.

... Don't forget to ask for Sambal if you like a little heat. :)

When my late father-in-law would take us on a cruise, he always brought his own sambal with him. It's good to know we can get it on board.

Edited by MacThespian

If Fra Diavolo is memorable you might want to be cautious with sambals when you start. Imagine a paste made of reconstituted dried hot chili pepper flakes seeds and all. Enjoy your adventures in heat. LOL

bosco

I perfer Sambal Bajak- onion, peppers, and garlic or Sambal Matah (Balinese)- peppers, garlic, soy sauce, sugar, shallots, and lemongtass. It's milder a amazing flavor.

Trader Joe's has a pretty good Matah. It's great in soups.

Edited by frankc98376

Does HAL still have the stir-fry/Asian grill on the Lido - same position as the sandwich counter but on the other side of the Lido? This area has been one of my favorite lunch stops on cruises into 2014. IF that station still exists, while each day they have a theme, about half the time it has been of an Indonesian flavor. Each day they had a "special", but they would also make things to order if you knew what you wanted. It seems to me that at least one of the dishes you are talking about has been offered there - but I may be confused. Anyhow - I almost always enjoyed the dishes they prepared on my last few cruises.

Sunday night at 6pm finds me in the Lido. The petty officer in charge of the crews mess brings me up a plate of Nasi goreng, Bami goreng and one stick of Satay Beef accompanied by a little condiment container of fresh Sombal.

Sometimes a piece of fried chicken for good luck.

If there is an epicurean heaven this is what they serve.

The first and only time I've had Nasi Goreng (sp?) was on a Holland America cruise. I loved it. We're booked on a 11 day Panama Canal cruise on the Zuiderdam on Nov. 9 and we're planning on eating dinner one or two nights at the Pinnacle Grill but I don't want to make reservations there and miss out on the Nasi Goreng. My question is, when we board the ship who can we talk to that can tell us if they will serve that and if so, what night?

I'm having Nasi Goreng for dinner tonight, with a fried egg, sambal, atjar tjampoer and krupuk . Am I ever so lucky :D

Fortunately my DIL is from Indonesia (Makassar, on Suliwesi) so I get these things anytime I like. And you should have seen the service we got when we went with son, DIL and two daughters to Alaska on HAL (14day B2B). My sweet little 6-YO granddaughter had the entire crew eating out of her hand.

And there was always a bottle of Sambal on the table in the MDR...

Does HAL still have the stir-fry/Asian grill on the Lido - same position as the sandwich counter but on the other side of the Lido? This area has been one of my favorite lunch stops on cruises into 2014. IF that station still exists, while each day they have a theme, about half the time it has been of an Indonesian flavor. Each day they had a "special", but they would also make things to order if you knew what you wanted. It seems to me that at least one of the dishes you are talking about has been offered there - but I may be confused. Anyhow - I almost always enjoyed the dishes they prepared on my last few cruises.

Yes, they still have it.

I perfer Sambal Bajak- onion, peppers, and garlic or Sambal Matah (Balinese)- peppers, garlic, soy sauce, sugar, shallots, and lemongtass. It's milder a amazing flavor.

I appreciate your suggestions and including the ingredients. I have written them down and will take the information with me. Thanks!

Eet smakelijk (sp)

Dankje , het was heerlijk !

translation: Thanks, it was delicious.

I always make it from scratch, no packages etc. When we a lot of guests over I usually make a rijsttafel ( as you mentioned your mother made) .

Sometimes on the late night buffet in Lido they Indonesian dishes, always nice to finish the day with some sate and peanutsauce !;)

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions. I knew this was the right place to ask. I will be sure to talk to the dining room and lido manager and ask about when or if they will serve Nasi Goreng.

All this chatter has made DW think that maybe this is something she needs to try out. She doesn't like spicy food as much as I do, but I reckon she can ask for a milder version of it with just a touch of sambal.

Hey NapTown Jim - if you have a real hankering for Indonesian food, there is a great Indo restaurant in Indianapolis that we have gone to when in town visiting relatives. I see from your location that you are home-based there? Garuda Indonesian Restaurant . My husband gave it high passing marks - not as good as home, but awesome for stateside.

Thank you for your suggestion indokiwi. Unfortunately if there was a Garuda Indonesian Restaurant in Indianapolis it is out of business. The closest thing I can find here in town to Indonesian food is Thai. Siam Square is outstanding in that regard.

Sambal Olek is spicy but not super spicy. It also adds a nice flavor and some sweetness. It can be added to food while cooking or in cold sauces like remoulade or just put on food like ketchup. Very versatile. It is gluten free and contains no onions or garlic. A go-to condiment in my house!

I searched my local Trader Joe's and found the Sambal Matah. It wasn't quite hidden, but I had passed the spot a lot without noting it. I bought a jar, and will try it shortly.

Thanks for the lead.