Silhouette Baltic cruise...any questions??

ginak1112

Just back from a great Baltic cruise with my husband and 21 year old daughter and will be happy to answer any questions! Spotless, beautiful ship, great ports, nice entertainment and food was a notch above other mainstream lines. Just a few disappointing items and quality decline, specifically in the Ocean View Cafe. This was our 4th Celebrity European cruise but are Elite due to RCCL.

Our ports were Tallinn, Warnemunde, Stockholm, Helsinki, SPB and Copenhagen. We left out of Amsterdam but first did an overnight in Brugge on our own. Our itinerary was changed due to storms so the captain switched Stockholm and Warnemunde days leaving us to dock in ports far away from the cities. He gave us a longer day in Stockholm and a shorter day in Warnemunde. We were happy to not have one of them cancelled and guests seem to make the best out of the situation. Our weather varies from cold and rainy to very hot and clear. Bring all types of clothing and a good rain coat. Also, don't forget your sturdy walking shoes as you are mostly walking on very old cobblestone!

Also, bring a few clothespins to block out some of the cabin light. Sunset is at 10 pm and sunrise is at 4:30 am roughly but it never really gets dark. Light will still come in from above and below but it will be better.

Glad to hear about the good trip. Excitedly waiting our turn next year.

Do you happen to have the Celebrity Today's you could post?

Also, there's discussion on another thread about The Porch changing from paninis to seafood on the Reflection. Did you notice a change there on this ship?

Thanks!

Glad to hear about the good trip. Excitedly waiting our turn next year.

Do you happen to have the Celebrity Today's you could post?

Also, there's discussion on another thread about The Porch changing from paninis to seafood on the Reflection. Did you notice a change there on this ship?

Thanks!

As of last week, it was still paninis. We tried it for lunch on a sea day and didn't think it was exceptionally good, at least not good enough to pay $7. It definitely needs to change so maybe it will before you go!

I have been trying to get a listing of the musical entertainment on the ship. Can you post a recap from the dailies?

I put this one together from my recent Connie sailing for example:

1. Réka & Julien - Classical Duo
  2. Michael Whitesides - accoustical guitar
  3. Déjå Vu - Dance Band
  4. 1 Kilombo - DJ
  5. Starbridge - House Band
  6. Ballroom Dancing with Starbridge
  7. DJ DLF
  8. Glam Gala Dance Party
  9. Spanish Recital
  10. Ballroom Dancing: Rhumba
  11. Big Band with the Celebrity Orchestra
  12. Motown Interactive theme Party
  13. White Night Party
  14. South Beach Party
  15. Karaoke (if you call this entertainment LOL)

Please comment if there were any signs of the noro virus on-board in recent sailings. We board on August 22nd and are concerned...

NO, absolutely not a single sign! No added precautions taken in any of the common areas that I could see either. Something that we always do is start taking oil of oregano capsules starting the week before the trip and each day of. There are a lot of studies that oregano oil will reduce or prevent one from getting stomach viruses. Make sure that you buy a good quality one in a vitamin shop.

I have been trying to get a listing of the musical entertainment on the ship. Can you post a recap from the dailies?

I put this one together from my recent Connie sailing for example:

1. Réka & Julien - Classical Duo
  2. Michael Whitesides - accoustical guitar
  3. Déjå Vu - Dance Band
  4. 1 Kilombo - DJ
  5. Starbridge - House Band
  6. Ballroom Dancing with Starbridge
  7. DJ DLF
  8. Glam Gala Dance Party
  9. Spanish Recital
  10. Ballroom Dancing: Rhumba
  11. Big Band with the Celebrity Orchestra
  12. Motown Interactive theme Party
  13. White Night Party
  14. South Beach Party
  15. Karaoke (if you call this entertainment LOL)

Sorry but I didn't take home the dailies. I do remember Carly and the King alternative duo, Gordon Daniels acoustic guitar, 80's party, karaoke, 2 different djs, etc. My memory isn't too good I guess.

Jul 27

Showtime Steve Larkins

Jul 28

Matinee Jayne Curry

Showtime Gala Toast with Cpt & Broadway Nights

Jul 29

Showtime Jayne Curry

Jul 30

Showtime Jonathan Clark

Jul 31

Showtime Angelique Verbrugge

Aug 1

Showtime Stars of St Petersburg

Aug 2

Showtime Inna Tosltova

Aug 3

Showtime Silhouette - The Show

Aug 4

Showtime Justina & Deniela's Extreme Vegas

Aug 5

Showtime Ancora (4 very talented singers! If anything go to this one)

Aug 7

Matinee Justino's Magic and Beyond

Showtime Voyage to remember

Appreciate the tips and information. Where there any ports where you could reasonably walk into the cities or did you always need transportation?

Thanks!:)

Warnemunde is called "Warnemunde (Berlin)" but unless it's your only chance ever to visit Berlin for a very short time (which is a 3 hour drive) a walk through Warnemunde is very relaxing as well.

In two or three ports the ship was quite far away from the cities because the reserved spot wasn't available anymore as the itinenary needed to be changed.

I guess usually the ship is nearby downtown everywhere. In Copenhagen the Hop On Hop Off bus even started right in front of the ship.

Please comment if there were any signs of the noro virus on-board in recent sailings. We board on August 22nd and are concerned...

Agree with ginak1112, there wasn't even a Code Orange the first two days.

During muster drill, however, they broadcasted a clip about the importance of washing your hands. If that clip would be used in Sesame Street I think 6 year olds would be complaining to their parents that they don't like to be treated like babies :D I guess it works, though :)

Warnemunde is called "Warnemunde (Berlin)" but unless it's your only chance ever to visit Berlin for a very short time (which is a 3 hour drive) a walk through Warnemunde is very relaxing as well.

In two or three ports the ship was quite far away from the cities because the reserved spot wasn't available anymore as the itinenary needed to be changed.

I guess usually the ship is nearby downtown everywhere. In Copenhagen the Hop On Hop Off bus even started right in front of the ship.

Thank you for your response.

Just back from a great Baltic cruise with my husband and 21 year old daughter and will be happy to answer any questions! Spotless, beautiful ship, great ports, nice entertainment and food was a notch above other mainstream lines. Just a few disappointing items and quality decline, specifically in the Ocean View Cafe. This was our 4th Celebrity European cruise but are Elite due to RCCL.

Hi and thanks for offering to answer questions!

What about currencies? How did you handle that?

Thanks!

Donna and John

THANK YOU for this. If not much trouble, I'm looking for the daily entrainment, like guitar player at Al Bacio, whats in Ensemble Lounge, is there ballroom dancing, is there any classical music...the individual non-theatre entertainers. Don't even care for day by day or times, just to know what is on the ship.

OMG, Jane Curry. LOVE LOVE LOVE Her. she was on our transatlantic this spring. Did I say LOVE her?! LOL

Jul 27

Showtime Steve Larkins

Jul 28

Matinee Jayne Curry

Showtime Gala Toast with Cpt & Broadway Nights

Jul 29

Showtime Jayne Curry

Jul 30

Showtime Jonathan Clark

Jul 31

Showtime Angelique Verbrugge

Aug 1

Showtime Stars of St Petersburg

Aug 2

Showtime Inna Tosltova

Aug 3

Showtime Silhouette - The Show

Aug 4

Showtime Justina & Deniela's Extreme Vegas

Aug 5

Showtime Ancora (4 very talented singers! If anything go to this one)

Aug 7

Matinee Justino's Magic and Beyond

Showtime Voyage to remember

Hi and thanks for offering to answer questions!

What about currencies? How did you handle that?

Thanks!

Donna and John

The only currency I brought was euros and I got some extra in an atm in Amsterdam. I knew that I was using my credit card for private tour that I was taking in SPB. Euros were used in Tallinn, Warnemunde and Helsinki. I used my credit card for any purchases in other ports.

Question: Was there any delay for non-Celebrity tour passengers while disembarking in St. Petersburg?

No, absolutely not. Once the ship was cleared, an announcement was made and you could go through customs. Everyone was together.

Appreciate the tips and information. Where there any ports where you could reasonably walk into the cities or did you always need transportation?

Thanks!:)

We did a walking tour in Tallinn where our tour guide met us right outside the port. It was a leisurely 20 minute walk, I would say, from the boat. i think that the port we were supposed to be docked at in Stockholm would have been walkable as well. There is a hoho bus waiting at the Helsinki port once you walk through the terminal. We didn't know that and took the Celebrity bus that was $10 I think. From there we bought an all day tram pass. If I did it again I would have just taken the hoho bus from the pier. I noticed plenty of them all over the city that day and they stop at all the pertinent sites.

THANK YOU for this. If not much trouble, I'm looking for the daily entrainment, like guitar player at Al Bacio, whats in Ensemble Lounge, is there ballroom dancing, is there any classical music...the individual non-theatre entertainers. Don't even care for day by day or times, just to know what is on the ship.

OMG, Jane Curry. LOVE LOVE LOVE Her. she was on our transatlantic this spring. Did I say LOVE her?! LOL

Believe me there's too much to list and you'd have to run around to see it all. The best show to see is Ancora. Personally, the most fun was regular passengers playing the piano in the Foyer, and playing guitar in the smoking area on 5. Nothing beats a Cup Song at 4 AM in the middle of the ocean :)

Here's just two days summed up by the Daily's:

Gordon Daniels plays the Beatles in Ensemble, Top Notch: House Band in Grand Foyer, Carly & The King Acoustic Duo Sky Lounge, Medley Jazz Quartet in Ensemble Lounghe, DJ Kun-Do Martini Bar, DJ Vito Quasar. Karaoke.

I don't think there was much classical music, but I can easily have missed an entire classical music themed venue on such a large ship.

Question: Was there any delay for non-Celebrity tour passengers while disembarking in St. Petersburg?

No difference between official and non-offical tours. BUT: all the other ports we visited we could just walk of the ship. That's not the case in St Petersburg. Do expect a long queue the first time you want to enter Russia. They need at least 3-5 mins/passenger to check some databases (I think), make a provisional visum, and to put stamps in your passport. It took at least 45 minutes to get from the gangway to the busses parked next to the ship.

The second time you get of or onto the ship they just scan your passport and you're fine within seconds.

We were on the previous cruise. They used two gangways (one for the Celebrity tours and one for everyone else). We were part of "everyone else". I did not see any evidence that we were delayed. However, the general line to get off the ship was probably longer.

No difference between official and non-offical tours. BUT: all the other ports we visited we could just walk of the ship. That's not the case in St Petersburg. Do expect a long queue the first time you want to enter Russia. They need at least 3-5 mins/passenger to check some databases (I think), make a provisional visum, and to put stamps in your passport. It took at least 45 minutes to get from the gangway to the busses parked next to the ship.

The second time you get of or onto the ship they just scan your passport and you're fine within seconds.

Did not take us that long the first day. It was about 20 minutes from the time they said the boat was cleared until we got through immigration. Of course, there were people further back in the line than we were.