To Roll Call or not to Roll Call - that is the question!

Vict0riann

<snip>

I agree with those who find posting cabin numbers (and last names or home towns, if not readily shared) intrusive. If you arrange a tour, I feel that signing up, sharing private emails, cabin assignments, etc., should be handled off the roll call.

When I am the M&G coordinator, I make sure that every time the roll call is updated, the date, time and location of the M&G is posted. I think everyone on the list is an adult, and I don't really care to spend the first day aboard worrying about delivering invitations. If you don't make it to the M&G, after constant reminders with the roll call list (and one last post just giving the M&G details before we leave home), it's not my problem. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's my approach.

I have only done one cruise where a volunteer set up a spreadsheet. Even if it is only meant for the eyes of those of us participating in the roll call, I don't think everyone needs to know who is on each private tour, full names, cabin numbers, etc.

well, as you can see from my signature (and previous signatures) I try to do spread sheets. But all that is listed there is there CC name on the tours.

The Who's Who page only has first names and NEVER EVER last names.

As a result, I have no need to post on a regular basis about the meet and greet. I do a reminder before hand, but I do deliver invitations. I make them up especially for each cruise and figure a few calories burned off delivering them won't hurt. And I have had help offered to deliver them too ;)

A spread sheet is not necessary at all.

All a spread sheet does is save a lot of redundant posts and scrolling back to find who's on what and what's left. When you have a longer cruise, it makes life very easy for those on the cruise that are participating - so easy to check it in your ibooks, your phone or your printouts. Different strokes for different folks - It all works ;)

When I've organized private tours, I've asked people to let me know their stateroom numbers, but I don't think it would be vital to know anyone else's. I think if I were to organize a Meet & Greet, I would just hope for the best and not do invitations/reminders. And, as we and others, too, probably have a guarantee, we won't have a room number until much closer to departure. In that case it would be good to know a surname, as it's easy enough to just phone on board if you have a surname.

I've started and joined in on several roll calls. I've met some simply wonderful people who I'd never have met without Cruise Critic. You can do as much or as little as you wish. One time, I had emergency surgery and had to cancel the cruise. I told the roll call I couldn't come and someone else stepped up and took it over. I had one roll call on a Celebrity cruise that had a large roll call and a lot of activities. I felt some pressure on that one. Now, if I start the roll call I usually keep the lists for the roll call and I list activities. I ask others to volunteer to organize other activities. Sometimes, people step up and sometimes they don't. It all depends on who books the cruise as to how active it will be. I was on the Crown Princess in April and no one wanted to do anything. I just got of the Statendam. I booked late and there was a roll call, but no one had organized anything. I started the lists and stuff. Others helped out and we ended up having a nice group. I suggest you create the roll call and try it.

I have been reading this thread with some interest. I really do enjoy the roll calls, as I find them useful for port information, arranging private tours, saving cash on fares when reduced, etc. I've taken pride in knowing my alerts have saved others some cash when a price drop occurred, too.

I normally find the M&Gs are fun, and enjoy putting faces to the names I've gotten to know on the roll call. Most people are pretty interesting, and those that aren't...well, it's easy to walk away when in a crowd.

I agree with those who find posting cabin numbers (and last names or home towns, if not readily shared) intrusive. If you arrange a tour, I feel that signing up, sharing private emails, cabin assignments, etc., should be handled off the roll call.

When I am the M&G coordinator, I make sure that every time the roll call is updated, the date, time and location of the M&G is posted. I think everyone on the list is an adult, and I don't really care to spend the first day aboard worrying about delivering invitations. If you don't make it to the M&G, after constant reminders with the roll call list (and one last post just giving the M&G details before we leave home), it's not my problem. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's my approach.

I have only done one cruise where a volunteer set up a spreadsheet. Even if it is only meant for the eyes of those of us participating in the roll call, I don't think everyone needs to know who is on each private tour, full names, cabin numbers, etc. I've been on cruises when solo travelers had issues with overly "friendly" fellow travelers. I don't travel solo, but I do feel that the others on board don't need to know where I'll be in every port.

Of course, others may feel differently, and that's fine. While I love chatting with new people, there are still some things I really don't care to make public to everyone, especially online.

I agree 100% with this. When I set up a Meet & Greet I kept an updated list on the roll call board of peoples FIRST names only and their CC names. No need for last names nor cabin numbers IMO. If people want to share that information, its up to them to decide, not me - too many issues involved with too much information being disclosed.

This is the main reason I do not participate in a well know social media cruise message board, as your name and travel plans are out there for everyone to see. No need (IMO) to advertise this information to the world.

I do enjoy meet & greets and the roll call boards, since as Nanner stated, you can learn and share alot of great information which can make the cruise more enjoyable and less costly, plus you get to meet alot of very nice people.

Since I have never started a roll call I will leave that to the more experienced CCs on this board to address. All I can say is that I would be honoured to sail with you and your DH again. I MAY even admit to looking at the FC listings (thanks Kazu!) and the roll call to help make our decision on which cruise to book.

I had never been part of an active roll call before the Sail Away Gang cruise in April and it made a HUGE difference!