Dining options

labellover

Aw, sorry labellover, please don't feel we are saying you are stupid. We do not think that at all but I think a lot of us feel your travel agent advised you wrongly. If you book through a travel agent, you should expect them to know all this pretty obvious (to them) stuff about the various cruiselines and conventions. It is their job to make sure a newcomer to cruises is aware of all this and he should have checked if unsure. I would certainly choose a different travel agent next time or book directly with the cruise line.

Anyway, onto a nicer subject - when is it you are going and to where?

Edited by Scriv

Thank you, It just feels like everyone is saying i'm stupid, but before we booked I asked friends who had been on a cruise with P&O who said they, and plenty of other people wore shorts in the buffet in the evenings. They were on a different ship and were travelling with kids- I don't know if that makes a difference or if they were unwittingly breaking the dress code. I also asked the travel agent and checked the FAQs on the website, so it isn't like I didn't do my research before we booked. And seeing as how they keep saying what a big choice of restaurants there are on board, i fail to see how letting people have the option of wearing shorts in one of them would reduce anybody else's enjoyment in any way! Like I said, we will stick to the dress code and just try to find a more relaxed cruise line if we go again. We won't let it ruin the holiday- i've told hubby to get all of his sulking out of the way now and just deal with it when we are on board.

No need to feel like that. There is an awful lot of things to find out about cruises that aren't really mentioned in brochures or websites. Some people go a whole fortnight and think that the Buffet was Freedom Dining. When my wife first told me were going cruises I wasn't overly keen but I love it. Love the ships, the food, the entertainment etc and I'm not easily pleased either. On a Transatlantic we even took Bridge lessons which I never thought I would do. Met a lovely couple and got right into it. We do a lot of dancing and find it really sociable and a great way of meeting people.

I hope your experience on the Forum doesn't stop you asking any other questions. BTW as far as I know, Thomsons do have a more relaxed dress code but I'm sure you'll love P&O.

He has no problem with changing into long trousers for the formal nights or when eating in the MDR. It is just occasionally he likes to spend an evening sat in the late sun doing a crossword. He likes to wear smart shorts and a shirt to do this and doesn't want to have to get changed into trousers for the meal and then change back again afterwards. We have never struggled when on land to find a casual restaurant where plenty of people were wearing shorts, especially in the Med. We really didn't think it would be an issue in a buffet restaurant and the travel agent agreed. However, if that is the dress code then he will stick to it and next time we will use a different travel agent and try to find a different cruiseline that doesn't view a man in shorts with the same distaste as a man walking around in just a pair of dirty Y fronts :)

Thanks to all for the advise about the set dining times, if we can't switch to freedom dining then we will make sure that we notify staff and fellow diners if we won't be attending.

It is a shame that you have been ill advised. Pity you hadn't joined some of the forums to get advice. I just hope he doesn't feel awkward in his shorts as everyone dresses smart. I do have to say if given a chance my hubby would like to keep his shorts on but also loves to dress up for formal night. I am sure you will have a lovely time what ever.

It is a shame that you have been ill advised. Pity you hadn't joined some of the forums to get advice. I just hope he doesn't feel awkward in his shorts as everyone dresses smart. I do have to say if given a chance my hubby would like to keep his shorts on but also loves to dress up for formal night. I am sure you will have a lovely time what ever.

Please do not get concerned about the dress code. A lot of people who cruise investigate from beginning to end every part of their cruise as if their lives depends on it and if anything deviates or changes throughout the term of their cruise from that extensive research, well it can make or break their cruise.

I dont neeed to know everything and love to get many surprises and dressing up or done is one of them.

I like the dressing up on formal nights but could not care less about people who do not adhere to it. You will not feel awkward at all. If people choose to look at you oddly, then they're obviously not enjoy their evening that much to be paying attention to you.

Wear whatever you like within the guidelines/rules as has already been said.

I know people will say to cruise on another line if you dont like dressing up but as you havnt done much research, as is your perogative, then dont pay attention to that either.

Some people absolutely love P & O cruises but just cant be bothered with the dressing up part.

I love being different from everyone else and wouldnt even ask the question 'what are you wearing', just so that I can be the 'same' as everyone else, as I actually cant think of anything worse.

So go on, be different, wear them shorts!!...:cool::D

Hi labellover, please don't be put off your cruise by any of the comments. Our first cruise was with Princess with 3 formal nights. I was a little worried as to how formal, but once there with everyone dressed up and good food and wine, this all makes for a lovely atmosphere. We loved it and are totally hooked on cruising now. Just go with the flow and enjoy yourselves.

But surely a ship is just the same as any other evening dining option anywhere. I don't recall anyone wearing shorts in a restaurant?

After getting the point pummelled into her I think she may have got the point regarding cruises. According to friends, Thomson do allow shorts but in any case many restaurants on Med holidays and various other destinations allow shorts.

I wore shorts in the evening when using the buffet restaurant, as did lots of other blokes. No problems at all.

Main dining rooms I wore jeans. Formal nights didn't allow jeans, but could always nip up to the buffet restaurant instead.

But surely a ship is just the same as any other evening dining option anywhere. I don't recall anyone wearing shorts in a restaurant?

Although I Understand what your saying, you want to dine out in Florida.

Anything goes in restaurants there and I mean anything...Your different if you actually dress up. Lol

Although I Understand what your saying, you want to dine out in Florida.

Anything goes in restaurants there and I mean anything...Your different if you actually dress up. Lol

I'm with Jeanleon on this one. We don't dress up for some places (Beefeater, Brewers Fayre, pub diner) and much prefer to wear casual tops and jeans there. In a hotel we tend to go smart casual and all of the hotels we have been to (not mega posh ones) always insist on long trousers for the evening meals anyway.

I suppose it is what you are used to and no one is right or wrong. Horses for courses and all that.

I do hope that the OP has a wonderful time on Britannia. Correction - the OP will have a great time :)) Shorts, trousers or whatever. The ship is fabulous. (Says she still fretting at not being there)

PS Have been reading a thread on the Celebrity forum about a nudest cruise --- now that is a controversial topic to start an argument on this forum if I've ever seen one :D:D:D Must find the link and start a discussion. ;)

Thanks everyone, i'm sure hubby will cope just fine with the dress code and if there is a day when hre really doesn't want to he can just go and have his meal in the buffet before 6.

Dress code aside- my travel agent said that due to choosing the cheaper package we would be stuck with wahtever dining options nobody else wanted, which he said was usually fixed time on the later session and we probably wouldn't be able to change it. Having heard how much else he got wrong I am now thinking that this is either just wrong or was trying to bully us into buying the far more expensive option. If we are stuck with that then we will give it a go a couple of times, but we really would prefer freedom and from what I've heard, people on fixed dining prefer it if people show up more frequently, so are the ships pretty flexible and most people get the option that they want?

There will be a card in your cabin saying what dining option you have been allocated. If you would like to change it, go along to one of the main restaurants ( the central one) and see the head waiter there to see if you can change. This is usually from around 3pm. They will try and accommodate you wherever possible. There will be a queue so it may take some time.

Brian

Thanks everyone, i'm sure hubby will cope just fine with the dress code and if there is a day when hre really doesn't want to he can just go and have his meal in the buffet before 6.

Dress code aside- my travel agent said that due to choosing the cheaper package we would be stuck with wahtever dining options nobody else wanted, which he said was usually fixed time on the later session and we probably wouldn't be able to change it. Having heard how much else he got wrong I am now thinking that this is either just wrong or was trying to bully us into buying the far more expensive option. If we are stuck with that then we will give it a go a couple of times, but we really would prefer freedom and from what I've heard, people on fixed dining prefer it if people show up more frequently, so are the ships pretty flexible and most people get the option that they want?

The Britannia has two Freedom restaurants and one Club restaurant so 2/3rds of the passengers are on Freedom. If you do get Club you can ask to change but its not easy to get that. Good luck though.

It simple really if you read the P&O brochure and look in the A-Z of cruising section under dress codes it tells you for Smart Casual evenings that shorts are not allowed. When Formal in MDR the buffet is Smart Casual and which P&O state that shorts are not allowed.

It actually isn't that simple. I now have a copy of the brochure in front of me and it quite clearly states that the dress codes apply in the majority of restaurants and bars. That is dress codes plural, so not just the formal dress code. If they apply in the majority of restaurants, that means that there are a minority where they do not apply.l. However, as I have said before hubby will wear long trousers if that is what is required.

Thank you to everybody that answered my questions or gave helpful advice. I tihnk if I have any further questions I will wait until I am on board and ask a member of staff. Then I can spend my time before the holiday researching the destinations, which are the most important days for us anyway.

We're going to Spain, Portugal and Gibraltar. My Granddad used to live in Gibraltar and when I was little he always used to tell me how wonderful it was. I've still got the toy monkey he bought for me when I was born, so I'm really excited to finally see it. Hopefully it is still as lovely as it was back when he was there.

He has no problem with changing into long trousers for the formal nights or when eating in the MDR. It is just occasionally he likes to spend an evening sat in the late sun doing a crossword. He likes to wear smart shorts and a shirt to do this and doesn't want to have to get changed into trousers for the meal and then change back again afterwards. We have never struggled when on land to find a casual restaurant where plenty of people were wearing shorts, especially in the Med. We really didn't think it would be an issue in a buffet restaurant and the travel agent agreed. However, if that is the dress code then he will stick to it and next time we will use a different travel agent and try to find a different cruiseline that doesn't view a man in shorts with the same distaste as a man walking around in just a pair of dirty Y fronts :)

Thanks to all for the advise about the set dining times, if we can't switch to freedom dining then we will make sure that we notify staff and fellow diners if we won't be attending.

If he wants to spend an evening in the sun you could have dinner out on deck (as long as one of you wasnt wearing shorts and could go and fill your plates from the buffet?)

Hi Labelover

I do hope you and OH enjoy your cruise. It is a terrible habit to develop.

In a way your TA was correct about the dining-from what you posted you must have a saver fare. It is correct shoreside that means what you are given you are stuck with. However as has been posted, if when you get to your cabin the dining card has an option you do not like , then go down to the MDR from about-well Manager will be there from 3ish,but people will be queuing before that. and request the option you would like. On ship they do their best to accommodate every ones wishes. Might take a couple of evenings to happen ,but hopefully you will get your wish.

I think on the P and O boards the people are very strong on dress codes.

Probably most of the ship will be dressed up, but we do see some people not. Also if it is a formal night, there will be some bars OH will not be able to go into either.

If you have any other questions do ask them. Hopefully posters will be more gentle in the future.

Florida is something else again. I seriously have never seen anyone in a pub or restaurant in the UK in shorts, not unless it's 100 in the shade!! lol

Very true and we certainly haven't had anywhere near 100 this year...lol

Edited by laurakdy

I don't understand all the fuss. My husband wore shorts in the buffet on our Ventura cruise, as did a few other men who obviously didn't fancy dressing for dinner!

We never saw mention of any dress code for the buffet other than no swimwear or bare feet, and I don't understand why so many people seem to care what others are wearing in such a casual environment as a self service buffet.

Maybe I should make it clear that the shorts were a decent length, not swim shorts but proper tailored knee length shorts.