Has anyone regretted NOT buying the drink package?

We have never purchased a drink package nor have we chosen a drink package when we get to pick our benefit. We have been cruising for fifteen years and usually go on at least two cruises a year. We just do not want to have to feel the need to get our $$ worth as I am sure we would. We are diamond on Royal and Elite on Celebrity so we do get our complimentary drinks, we make that work for us. We do however spend plenty on coffee drinks. For us we feel more accountable by having to pay for the occasional drink we do buy. :)

Likewise - no bill shock and also the chance to pay now rather than at the end of the cruise. With a spending target in mind I can work harder to achieve my target goal before I sail.

But I will be a first time sailer.

I am leaning towards Ultimate with soft drinks and coffee so I don't feel pressured to drink alcohol beyond what I am enjoying. I can start the day with soft drinks and finish with soft drinks and still feel like I am getting value.

I am confused about the packages.. Do you get soft drinks with all of them or just the Ultimate? I had only planned to purchase water package, but was considering either the Ultimate or Premium.. Can you have the fru fru drinks like Pina Colada's on those?

Thanks in advance!

I am confused about the packages.. Do you get soft drinks with all of them or just the Ultimate? I had only planned to purchase water package, but was considering either the Ultimate or Premium.. Can you have the fru fru drinks like Pina Colada's on those?

Thanks in advance!

You get soda (and the special cup) with all packages. You can have frozen alcoholic drinks (including the fru fru ones) with the Premium and Ultimate packages. You can have fru fru non-alcoholic drinks with the Replenish and Select packages too.

Edited by clarea

Am I correct in assuming with the Ultimate Drink Package you will have access to the premium coffees? Do you get these at Starbucks?

Thank you for your help.

Yes, the Ultimate package includes specialty coffee and tea. However beverages from the Starbucks venue on Oasis class ships are not included in any package. Specialty Coffees and Teas are available at Cafe Promenade, Park Cafe, and other restaurants.

Edited by clarea

Interesting post. We have done both with and without. Without on cruise knowing we would be spending less time on the ship, and did not regret it. Sailing on oasis in December the ultimate was offered at $808 for 2, some quick math put our possible bill @ $900. Not a huge savings, and will probably be closer to break even in the end. We will go into Cozumel, but rest of the time is on the ship. We considered it all inclusive expense. Received a much lower than anticipated cabin rate with gratuities and some obc included that will cover Several speciality meals and spa treatments. All in for a ov balcony $2500 was within reason, heck just about the cost of our usual Disney cruises without the extras.

Nope and we just did Celebrity Summit with an included drink package. What I found is we drank no more than we normally do so we didn't drink enough to justify a drink package. We will continue to pay as we go and spend less.

I don't get the "I want to know what I'm spending and not get a surprise" statements. A lot of people do not spend more than the package costs which would be a happy surprise at the end of the cruise. Buying a package and not drinking enough to make it worthwhile is a waste of money and I'm hardly frugal.

On our first cruise, we didn't get the package. We didn't constantly check the onboard account to see what we were spending, as we knew we could afford it. We kept the account printout they gave us on the last night and then compared what we'd spent with the package price for the next cruise, and they were - more or less - equal. So we went for the package, so it could be paid for upfront and not have the CC bill arriving ( as it would have done) just before Christmas.

We still get the package more for convenience than any other reason; in a small way its also easier not having to sign tons of slips!