How is the Thalassotherapy pool any different than a lido deck hot tub?

lido deck larry

"Thalassotherapy (from the Greek word thalassa, meaning "sea") is the medical use of seawater as a form of therapy.[1] It is based on the systematic use of seawater, sea products, and shore climate.[2] The properties of seawater are believed to have beneficial effects upon the pores of the skin.[citation needed]"

Wow.. the Bull---- detector is off the scale on that one. I don't think there is any actual theraputic benefit from salt water. Maybe Carnival can get some quack doctor to promote the benefits. Anywho, can anyone tell me the difference between this magical thalassotherapy pool and a lido deck hot tub? Since the lido pools use sea water too, I would assume one would gain the same "Thalassotherapy" benefits in a lido hot tub while saving themselves some serious $$$$ in not buying a spa pass? Personally, I prefer Alcohalassotherapy (Therapy derived from consumption of alcoholic beverages while standing / sitting in salt water.) Which is way more fun. :D

Edited by lido deck larry

I can't speak to the health benefits of either, or lack thereof, but the thalassotherapy spas would certainly be more private and exclusive since they have a usage fee. I'm guessing most people pay for the use to have a nice quiet relaxing soak away from the loud music, kids and folks undergoing alcohalassotherapy.

Most Carnival ships used to have regular hot tubs in the spa areas that were free to use. I really enjoyed that, since they were rarely crowded. They have long since been removed in favor of (apparently) the exact same thing plus a fee.

I cannot speak to CCL, but the thalassotherapy pool on the Norwegian getaway had much much stronger jets than a normal hot tub. In fact they were so strong they had grab bars around each jet. There was also a separate very strong fountain that would essentially give you a shoulder massage. This was heavenly the day I was very sore from a workout.

We used the one on the Breeze a few weeks ago. It is much larger and has a long bench along one side. I thought the bench would be comfortable, but the jets are so strong you have to hold on for dear life! [emoji3] there are also a couple of fountain jets that you can run on your shoulders. I was actually disappointed that the thalassotherapy pool was not as relaxing as I had hoped. 4b99191ee838b9780e51ab169e28e6a7.jpg2ffba2fcecab13aba465844f1f778d80.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is bigger, quieter, less crowded, cleaner and does not smell like chlorine. If you prefer the hot tubs, no problem. I don't want to be jumped on by kids, witness drunken sex, be deafened by loud music or get sunburned. I love the T pool and I am willing to pay for it. Each to his own preference. No Harm no Foul.

It is bigger, quieter, less crowded, cleaner and does not smell like chlorine. If you prefer the hot tubs, no problem. I don't want to be jumped on by kids, witness drunken sex, be deafened by loud music or get sunburned. I love the T pool and I am willing to pay for it. Each to his own preference. No Harm no Foul.

Don't be so quick to dismiss the drunken sex ;)

Can't tell you the difference on a scientific level, but it's definitely much more enjoyable and therapeutic than a regular hot tub.

We paid for a spa pass, mostly to have access to the thalassotherapy pool and considered it money VERY WELL spent.

Saltwater is actually soothing for certain skin conditions.........maybe it's not a magic pill, but the T-pool is bigger with much stronger jets. If it's not for you then don't bother, there will be more room for those of us who love it and don't mind paying extra for the privilege.

I cannot speak to CCL, but the thalassotherapy pool on the Norwegian getaway had much much stronger jets than a normal hot tub. In fact they were so strong they had grab bars around each jet. There was also a separate very strong fountain that would essentially give you a shoulder massage. This was heavenly the day I was very sore from a workout.

This exact thing on CCL as well - in addition to the water being warmer & the size being about 10x larger -

I have watched people drink numerous beers while sitting in those hot tubs and never get up to excuse themselves.

That could be a big difference.

I've seen that many times myself. People spending three hours in the hot tub, drinking 8 beers, and not leaving even once!! Not the minerals I want to soak in!!!:eek:

People releasing their bladder, drunken sex etc....I knew there was a reason I've NEVER set my bottom in a HOT TUB.... Been on 21 cruises...but I would LOVE to try the Thalassotherapy pool, even with the extra charge. [emoji41]

We bought the spa pass and loved every aspect of the amenities except for the T-pool. It wasn't very warm (not at all like a hot tub) and the seats were too deep for me. I had to lift myself up so the water wouldn't be in my face. Felt like I needed a booster seat, lol. Tried it twice and decided that it's not for me.

I would definitely buy the spa pass again for the steam rooms, warm loungers, saunas, etc. DH and I used the spa twice/day on our 7 nt cruise. $$ well spent, IMO.

We used the one on the Breeze a few weeks ago. It is much larger and has a long bench along one side. I thought the bench would be comfortable, but the jets are so strong you have to hold on for dear life! [emoji3] there are also a couple of fountain jets that you can run on your shoulders. I was actually disappointed that the thalassotherapy pool was not as relaxing as I had hoped. 4b99191ee838b9780e51ab169e28e6a7.jpg2ffba2fcecab13aba465844f1f778d80.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice pool pics. I see what you're taking about with the jets. Quite different.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

I've seen that many times myself. People spending three hours in the hot tub, drinking 8 beers, and not leaving even once!! Not the minerals I want to soak in!!!:eek:

I will give you that. However, I doubt the thalassotherapy pool is free of human contamination either.

A perk of using the thalassotherapy pool is going from there to a great spa shower, and then off to relax on the heated loungers in one of the other therapy rooms, where you can relax with a cool libation, stare out at the gorgeous ocean view, and enjoy not being in the frozen Yukon. I will so be doing that in appox seven weeks. My arthritic joints will bless me, my hungover brain will recouperate. :):o:)

A perk of using the thalassotherapy pool is going from there to a great spa shower, and then off to relax on the heated loungers in one of the other therapy rooms, where you can relax with a cool libation, stare out at the gorgeous ocean view, and enjoy not being in the frozen Yukon. I will so be doing that in appox seven weeks. My arthritic joints will bless me, my hungover brain will recouperate. :):o:)

Oh yeah, those heated loungers are dope!

People releasing their bladder, ....I knew there was a reason I've NEVER set my bottom in a HOT TUB.

It's better not to think about it, but you know the same thing is true to a lesser degree in the regular pool as well.

...enjoy not being in the frozen Yukon. I will so be doing that in appox seven weeks.

The Yukon will be frozen at the end of September?

I guess it might be. Seems odd to think so while it's still summer though.