Grand Turk and Half Moon Bay

mina518

In Grand Turk, the ship is docked right at the beach. You can easily walk back for lunch if you wish. Margaritaville is right there (somewhat pricey). There is a large but shallow pool at Margaritaville for use no charge. You can also walk further down the beach to other options (Jack's Shack) for food and drinks.

At Half Moon Cay, you are tendered to the beach. As mentioned, lunch is provided at sheltered picnic tables there. There are a few bars run by the cruise line (Pirate ship bar, the I Wish I Could Stay Here Forever bar, and another when you first get off the tender boats).

Both are great beach days. No cabs/excursions needed.

Plenty of pictures online for both beaches; any online search will find them easily.

Thanks. Another question. Do you bargain with local merchants over price? It is quite common in some Central American, Mexican and even Alaskan ports that I've been to.

Like any where else, you can always try. If its a store its less likely. In Grand Turk I walked into the Cockburn town (3 1/2 miles, I am not a beach person and love to walk) there are vendors that you can bargain with and well as a few stores.

Tip for the beach: Half Moon Cay has sugar white sand and crystal clear blue water and is amazing. However, the water at Grand Turk can be a bit rocky -- you should definitely wear swim shoes for that beach. I sliced my heel open on my last trip there just walking out into the water.

At Grand Turk there is a great hut with much cheaper drinks and food than Margaritaville called Barefoot Cabana and you dont have to take long walk to Jacks Shack for more expensive options, Also free WiFi

• 2 weeks later...
are beaches close to port? far walk? anything included with the cruise or should we book an excursion? most of our group will just want to hit the beach..some may want to explore some.

thanks

Both of these ports are beautiful and are considered a super cheap day for a cruise port. No need to spend any money if you don't want to (other than if you decide to eat or drink there).

I have complete reviews of our day there back in April and they are LOADED with pictures if you are interested in passing your time reviewing them until your cruise 77 days from now. :D (They are listed in my signature line below)