The Alaskan Jewel! Welcome Aboard….You don’t Exist!

jenseib

While I would have liked the Pearl to visit Tracy Arm - it does not. On Thursday she visits Glacier Bay. Juneau is it's first port call.

You are so right. Not sure how I mixed that up in my brain! Do they go there that morning then? Or do they spend a day there. I know I knew it's route before at one time, but I think I am now mixing up with another line.

I know there are so many different routes.:D The Pearl leaves Seattle on Sun - is at sea Mon and half of Tue where it splits the day with the Jewel, Then it is on to Skagway (both ships) Thursday all day is spent in Glacier Bay, Friday AM in Ketchikan, Sat eve in Victoria then back to Seattle.

There are some HAL ships that do a "service call" at Tracy Arm prior to Juneau - this is to allow their small boat tour to explore Tracy Arm - the tour catches up with the ship in Juneau. They also do Glacier Bay later in the week.

Glacier Bay is usually 7-8 or more hours of cruising with views of at least 5 glaciers.

I'm really enjoying your review! I was excited to read about the Deadliest Catch type tour in Ketchikan! That would be fun! BTW, I think those seals have been up in that river on river street for years! About 5 years ago I saw one laying back in the water munching away on its salmon while the other was trying to catch salmon in the run. So cute! I guess that is their home territory.

Jen,

Thanks to your review and great photos I have convinced my family that we should visit Chihuly before our cruise. Could you please tell me about how long you spent there? Our sightseeing list keeps growing :)

TMC

I know there are so many different routes.:D The Pearl leaves Seattle on Sun - is at sea Mon and half of Tue where it splits the day with the Jewel, Then it is on to Skagway (both ships) Thursday all day is spent in Glacier Bay, Friday AM in Ketchikan, Sat eve in Victoria then back to Seattle.

There are some HAL ships that do a "service call" at Tracy Arm prior to Juneau - this is to allow their small boat tour to explore Tracy Arm - the tour catches up with the ship in Juneau. They also do Glacier Bay later in the week.

Glacier Bay is usually 7-8 or more hours of cruising with views of at least 5 glaciers.

The Jewel has one of those tours too and I really wanted to do it but it just didn't work out with all I had planned. If we ever sail the Jewel again it will be on the top of the list!

I would love to do Glacier Bay though. I have so many wants and not enough money!!! :rolleyes:

I'm really enjoying your review! I was excited to read about the Deadliest Catch type tour in Ketchikan! That would be fun! BTW, I think those seals have been up in that river on river street for years! About 5 years ago I saw one laying back in the water munching away on its salmon while the other was trying to catch salmon in the run. So cute! I guess that is their home territory.

Thanks! That was a great tour and I would recommend it to anyone. You don't even have to like the show to enjoy it.

Those seals have a great spot....why leave? :D

"I decided I wanted to find the front of the ship…the stern… as it had now been opened for passengers to go out and view."

Think you may have meant to say the bow is at the front of the ship.

And you would be right! I couldn't think of the right term when typing it a week or so ago. And for some reason bow never came into my brain. LOL :eek:

In exchange for your picture of Pearl entering Juneau, here's one of Jewel leaving (about 2 weeks previously) for you: :)

Jewel departing

Thanks! I wish I was on her right now...though somewhere tropical would be better at this time of year. Though we are having a heatwave in Ohio right now with Temps in the 70's all week. It's been wonderful.

Jen,

Thanks to your review and great photos I have convinced my family that we should visit Chihuly before our cruise. Could you please tell me about how long you spent there? Our sightseeing list keeps growing :)

TMC

I don't remember offhand but I would say a good hour? Probably a little longer with travel time. You can get through it pretty fast, it just depends on how much you want to linger in areas. You could get through it in 10-15 minutes easily but we lingered here and there and I took pictures. Plus for the price I wanted to get my monies worth. The nice thing is, it is open fairly late so it worked well for us to go in the evening. Also it opens at a fairly decent time in the morning and I could have easily gone there before getting on the ship.

Before I go on I wanted to correct a mistake I made. I mentioned the Pearl had come from Tracy Arm and that is not true. I had a flakey moment. The Pearl goes to Glacier Bay and never goes to Tracy Arm and has a half day at sea before arriving at Juneau.

Back to the report…….

I ended up just going out on 7 for a bit while I pondered it over as to which deck I needed to go to get to the front.

22506185752_9a2cc1d4c7_z.jpgendi17 by Jenseib, on Flickr

22563151746_bd2b6536c1_z.jpgendi61 by Jenseib, on Flickr

22331942808_af300c083d_z.jpgendi18 by Jenseib, on Flickr

22332805489_0355d2eda2_z.jpgendi19 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Yeah…I like icebergs.

21898435793_94d2976eae_z.jpgendi20 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I then finally realized what deck it was…and I can’t remember now…but I want to say it was deck 8……but whatever deck it was, I found it and went out.

22530762701_350c30f8db_z.jpgendi21 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Edited by jenseib

It was a little windy out there but not too bad. And it was just really cool to be in this normally restricted area. I hear it really depends on weather and conditions as to how long they keep it open as it can be dangerous if it is wavy or really windy. It must’ve been perfect conditions today as they kept it up for hours.

And the views….splendid!!!!!

22331939528_1a0c36cc8b_z.jpgendi22 by Jenseib, on Flickr

22519625995_934de1ede6_z.jpgendi23 by Jenseib, on Flickr

22519625125_e1ec65911f_z.jpgendi24 by Jenseib, on Flickr

22331937488_d7e6ec31e8_z.jpgendi25 by Jenseib, on Flickr

This is the deck/area that the crews pool is located on as well.

22342876120_cc56904650_z.jpgendi26 by Jenseib, on Flickr

21908086334_2b6f14eba8_z.jpgendi27 by Jenseib, on Flickr

22342875340_f5f62f586f_z.jpgendi28 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The anchor!

21908085584_5ccdd161f9_z.jpgendi29 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Actually I believe this is a back-up anchor. I heard some people talking about why would the anchor be up here and it would be awfully hard to move. Then another guy said well ships never anchor anymore…which is not true. I finally joined in the conversation after a bit and told them yes they do anchor…when they tender they have to anchor. I said I was pretty sure this was just a back-up anchor and they agreed that made sense.

22504851846_8d5a3a3419_z.jpgendi30 by Jenseib, on Flickr

22344144189_ec3251f542_z.jpgendi31 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Everywhere I looked there was just another stunning view.

22517472962_89d85dc037_z.jpgendi32 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Some birds were enjoying the views as well.

22530984455_dd2b5f671c_z.jpgendi33 by Jenseib, on Flickr

20436236900_e1bbf56f3b_z.jpgendi1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

20436236080_47c39876ce_z.jpgendi2 by Jenseib, on Flickr

20597956596_8ab359e51e_z.jpgendi3 by Jenseib, on Flickr

22589150175_5c635f0056_z.jpgendi62 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I got to talking to a lady for quite some time. I believe she is a professor somewhere, though I no longer remember where. We had such a nice talk and we got on to subjects of glaciers (wonder why?) and culture and people. My great uncle had actually lived with Eskimos in Alaska many years ago (he has passed now). He was an anthropologist and he studied many cultures. He wrote some books….and I will be honest…I have never read a single one though I do have a copy of one somewhere. They are very difficult to read and super technical. Not an enjoyable read by any means. So we talked about him a bit.

He has a story that one time he and some of the people were out hunting or getting supplies….something along those lines…and a very bad winter storm came. They basically had to hunker down and wait it out as visibility was zero. I think it was something like 2 or 3 days and they had quite a rough time over those days. When the storm stopped they found out the village was only like 50 feet away. Of course with as bad as it was if they went in the wrong direction they could’ve been lost forever or died.

Anyways…I had a nice chat with this lady. I went to take a picture of the ship.

22344725569_4ed9ddff0b_z.jpgendi34 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The lady made the comment that that is where some of the fancy smanchy suites are. I didn’t say anything because those were forward Penthouse suites….just like what I had, only I was in the aft. LOL.

21966388854_ded989a6db_z.jpgendi63 by Jenseib, on Flickr

As we talked I would take some random pictures here and there.

22343602550_c972446dc2_z.jpgendi35 by Jenseib, on Flickr

22527083016_84e2781b10_z.jpgendi36 by Jenseib, on Flickr

You may notice there is a guy wearing a t-shirt and shorts. It wasn’t quite that warm but it really wasn’t too bad. It was a bit windy and chilly but not uncomfortable at all.

22563149676_c34244ff73_z.jpgendi64 by Jenseib, on Flickr

22539508052_8a8a4a5f48_z.jpgendi37 by Jenseib, on Flickr

20436233980_5e5cf92814_z.jpgendi4 by Jenseib, on Flickr

At some point in time they had a naturalist talking on the loudspeaker. It was really hard to hear him in this location. I did think I made out we were in Endicott Arm though.

22553296575_96e8ac3d28_z.jpgendi38 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I stayed up in the front of the ship for at least an hour or so. It was just so wonderful there and there was always a new and stunning view to see.

Yep, more icebergs, though I will admit, I thought there would be more in here.

22527670056_1421ac5554_z.jpgendi40 by Jenseib, on Flickr

22365937908_6b170a3a9e_z.jpgendi41 by Jenseib, on Flickr

22365937208_f540880521_z.jpgendi42 by Jenseib, on Flickr

21932454803_861aa48a05_z.jpgendi43 by Jenseib, on Flickr

22365935058_e745db606c_z.jpgendi44 by Jenseib, on Flickr

22365693430_b7c6014b21_z.jpgendi45 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I have been trying to take this slowly but, alas, I have finally caught up with you. Your photos are incredible! This trip report is such a wonderful way to remember your adventure and keep the photographs in context. We'll be be taking our first cruise on the Norwegian Sun in August, so I am definitely taking notes about things to do and see!

I really hope the Sun has fish on the floor. I have such a ridiculously poor sense of direction, it took me a month to learn my way around the building where I work. I keep imagining myself getting lost every time I venture out for a meal!

As we talked I would take some random pictures here and there.

22343602550_c972446dc2_z.jpgendi35 by Jenseib, on Flickr

You may notice there is a guy wearing a t-shirt and shorts. It wasn’t quite that warm but it really wasn’t too bad. It was a bit windy and chilly but not uncomfortable at all.

22563149676_c34244ff73_z.jpgendi64 by Jenseib, on Flickr

It's finally happened! I'm the guy in the red pullover and the drawstring backpack! :D:D:D