Carnival Soda card question

lgildein

Does anyone know if you can purchase a "soda card" after you leave the dock. I have gotten mixed information, some say it must be purchased before the ship leaves the dock, others say it can be purchased later. Any information will help. Thanks

I've heard that you can purchase it at any time after boarding the ship. I've also heard that if you wait until after the ship has reached international waters that you won't have to pay tax on the card. I may be wrong about that, but that's what I've heard.

I've heard that you can purchase it at any time after boarding the ship. I've also heard that if you wait until after the ship has reached international waters that you won't have to pay tax on the card. I may be wrong about that, but that's what I've heard.

Yes, you are wrong. You only pay tax on the drinks you order before the ship is in International waters. My family purchased the package two weeks ago and had a few cents added for the Coke's they got early on.

Edited by katiel53
spelling

Yes, you are wrong. You only pay tax on the drinks you order before the ship is in International waters. My family purchased the package two weeks ago and had a few cents added for the Coke's they got early on.

Not only the tax on the program charge but in some States tax on the actual soda per drink.

On the Pride out of Baltimore you don't hit international water for over 12 hours you are paying a couple of cents on every drink. Your card is run each time and you sign the slip for the tax.

On the last day once we left international water the crew did not swipe the card and just gave you the soda, I don't know if this is done every cruise or not.

Used to be that you had to pay tax on the whole thing if purchased before reaching international waters.

Now you're only taxed on the actual drink.

I usually buy the soda card the first sea morning(day after embarkation). No taxes added onto the card,and I usually don't drink that much soda the first day. If you do buy a card,you can make a yummy root beer float-ask for a root beer with little ice. Sip a little. Add vanilla soft serve ice cream. I usually switch between sodas and juices during the day. They now offer fruit punch which is suppose to be pretty good. Kendra

Be careful though, cause they tried to say it was too late for me to buy a soda card on like day 3 of the ship once.. A trip to guest services fixed it, but I'd buy it on day 1 or 2. Yes yes yes, buy it once you hit international waters for tax savings. Just saying.