Help Heathrow to Edinburgh

Corvette

Going to go on the Heathrow Express to Paddington and then from Euston to Edinburgh on Virgin Train.
The first question is: Why?

If you're at Heathrow already, the best way of getting to Edinburgh is to fly. Frequent, fast and (if you book sufficiently far in advance, or while Virgin is still flying the route) pretty cheap (especially considering the time saving).

I also endorse nmg85's view that if you have to take the train, then starting from where you are, a train from King's Cross would probably be easier, as you can get on the Tube at Heathrow and get off at King's Cross; there is step-free access at both ends.

There are many more trains each day from Kings Cross to Edinburgh and it's also a lot faster so it would be a better choice for you. I live just outside Edinburgh and would never dream of taking the Euston train to London. The KX trains are also operated by Virgin and you can check out prices and times at

https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/

It would be very easy to get the Circle line from Paddington to Kings Cross and would take about 15 minutes

Yes you did but it was about the hotels. We are train buffs so wanted to take the train to see the countryside, etc. We consider the train ride a nice tour. We live in America and we don't have mice trains like you. We plan on purchasing the Rail pass so that is why we are using the Heathrow express and we have two small suitcases.

Thanks for all of your help.

As "train buffs" you might consider a layover at York where the National Railway Museum is.

They have a huge collection ranging from a full scale replica of Stephenson's Rocket to the only Shin-Kansen outside of Japan.

http://www.nrm.org.uk/OurCollection.aspx

York is also a City with a lot of other interesting sights: The Cathedral of course, The Viking museum (fascinating and very well presented) and The Castle to name but three. There are some great hotels and places to eat as well.

The East Coast line is very beautiful, particularly from York onwards. As you draw into York you see the Minster (cathedral) and the National Railway Museum is on your right. Bob++ mentioned it, and I can heartily recommend it for non-railway enthusiasts and railway buffs alike.

After York you come to Darlington with its very strong railway associations:

Darlington is known for its associations with the birth of railways. This is celebrated in the town at Darlington Railway Centre and Museum. The world's first passenger rail journey was between Shildon and Stockton-on-Tees via Darlington, on the Stockton and Darlington Railway in 1825. The town later became an important centre for railway manufacturing.

Durham with its cathedral is next followed by the beautiful countryside of Northumbria and Berwickshire, with the viaduct in Berwick on Tweed a highlight.

I have done this journey hundreds of times and I never tire of the scenery. The best seats for views are with the sea on your right heading North.

The best seats for views are with the sea on your right heading North.

I forgot to mention that - on the right, facing the engine:) But that only applies after York - before that it really doesn't matter, although you get a look at the Railway Museum as you come into York, if you are on the left.

I forgot to mention that - on the right, facing the engine:) But that only applies after York - before that it really doesn't matter, although you get a look at the Railway Museum as you come into York, if you are on the left.

But you'd be lucky if you saw much other than the outside of the Railway Museum as you're leaving York so definitely go for the right, the sea side.