Another "solo" cruising question

Sea saw 56

Would you feel safer cruising on one of the newer "Big Ships" or one of the smaller ships (NCL only, have been on many of their ships).

Any destinations you would recommend, or strongly recommend against, as a solo?

I am sure it would help to give you a bit of a demographic profile. I am female, will be 60 next year. Budget is not a huge issue. Have been way north, and way south. Just not alone....would be interested in opinions from similar ladies.

Would you feel safer cruising on one of the newer "Big Ships" or one of the smaller ships (NCL only, have been on many of their ships).

I am sure it would help to give you a bit of a demographic profile. I am female, will be 60 next year. Budget is not a huge issue. Have been way north, and way south. Just not alone....would be interested in opinions from similar ladies.

I personally don't like the mega ships, but I'm sure they are just as safe as the smaller ones (the Pearl is my favorite NCL ship).

I've been all over the world traveling solo and have never had an issue. You just have to be aware of your surroundings, stay alert and make sure you know what the customs are in the country or countries you are visiting.

I'm a few years older than you, but started traveling solo in my 30's and have been to every continent except for one and have enjoyed every minute of it.

I am 40 and female. I have traveled extensively alone. There are some ports where I would stay on board or take a cruise line sponsored excursion only. Stay away from Nassau and other high violence locations. Although you might not need others to amuse you, other people are helpful in the safety department. Go on your Roll Call and meet others to plan excursions and the occasional meal with.

I think Bermuda would be a good first time solo trip. Just develop a nightly check in protocol with another traveler.

I have just finished my 25th Norwegian cruise and leaving in a month for number 26, all as a solo 60 something widow.

I have sailed on a number of the Jewel Class ships, the Dawn, The Spirit,The Sun and 5 times on the Getaway. Other than the size, I don't find a lot of difference between any of them. I buy excursions on board ship after a discussion with the Shore Excursions staff. I ask, "Would you let your Mother or Grandmother go on this excursion?" If they say Yes, I purchase it.

My advice would be to find a cruise that interests you, book it and go. Please find the Roll Call for whatever cruise you choose and make friends before boarding the ship.

Have a great time.

I have been to Bermuda 4 times by myself. I love the little beach right near the ship, and because of the solo cabins, always solos on the ship. I have been to Nassau Three times by myself, I just wander the streets looking at the Jewelry stores, lots of cops around. I have twice been to San Juan, St Thomas, St Maarten and one other island.

Never had a problem, and I use a walker due to seizures. Sometimes if I am not feeling well, I don't get off the ship and enjoy and empty ship. The one thing I do, is only sail out of NYC, as I am one hour from that port.

Both Big and Small ships have their good and bad point. After being on the Breakaway 4 times in a row, I am looking forward to the cozy Gem.

I always feel safe.

I don't think the size of the ship makes any difference in regard to safety issues/non issues. Don't stress that point at all!

As to ports, figure out where you want to go and then do your research, I've done a lot of Europe on my own so its not a big issue for me. Just be aware, and use common sense and you'll be fine.

As to Nassau....did that on my own. Granted, I only basically walked to the straw market and back and purchased some things from the urchins selling directly outside the terminal building, but never ever felt unsafe there at all.

I travel solo as well and I've liked the big ships but would also do a smaller ship no problem. In regards to safety, you just want to use the same tactics you would on any solo trip whether to Rome or out and about the nearest large American city. Be aware of your surroundings, do research and have access to a map so you know where you are, and don't be afraid to kick butt if anyone tries to mess with you.

I had a fine time in Nassau both times I've been there solo. I guess it's all a matter of personal comfort level.

Being new to cruising and a little insecure, I really liked the way the Solo Studio area was its own little lock-off area on the GA. I know that rationally we're about as safe on one mass market ship as any other, but it was nice psychologically.

I think the only difference safety-wise between the large and small ships is just that there's more opportunity for more crazies on the larger ships. LOL. I've sailed on the Jade and have an Epic cruise booked. I've never been on one of the mega-ships, so I'm really looking forward to seeing if I like it.

I don't book ship's excursions. When I think about safety in port, in addition to what others have said about taking precautions, I prefer to be in a smaller group which I believe would draw less attention. In a larger ship-sponsored tour, you may as well wear a sign that says, "I'm a tourist" and everyone notices those large groups! I always book with independent vendors and am usually in small groups of 6 or 8. I really like that, but it's more for my level of enjoyment than thinking about safety, TBH.

BTW, I'm female and 57 years old. Have recently started traveling solo. I love to travel and being single isn't going to stop me. My ex-husband didn't really like cruising anyway. LOL.

I do four trips/cruises a year-two as a solo traveller as my bf doesn't get the same vacation breaks as I do. I have always felt safe, especially on the ship, whether it's big or small. There is video surveillance everywhere. I usually research all the ports before I go. Sometimes I do Shore ex tours through the ship, the roll call or I just do DIys. Tunisia and Morocco I did ship organised excursions as I was unsure of how safe it would be, a female on my own. I stick to the main tourist areas and see what people on Cruise Critic, Tripadvisor, Tom's Port Guides are saying. I did a highlight tour in Nassau, Mexico and other Caribbean ports, just organised as I got off the ship. Private vans, tend to wait until they have filled their van. The other people on the tours are always off the ship. I might not do a private tour on my own.

I was on the Epic out of Barcelona last summer for my first solo cruise (but have traveled around europe solo and las vegas multiple times, and live in NYC so used to large cities). I never felt unsafe on the Epic or any of the ports. As previous people have said, just be aware of your surroundings.(I am in my late 30s)

I cruised solo on the epic and everything was fine.