Re: Juneau Whale Watching

TXRed

We are sailing on the Ruby on 9/6/15. We decided not to pre book a whale watching tour in Juneau for several reasons. I was told there were kiosks at the Pier where, if some of us decided to try to go on a whale watching tour, could probably book a tour right there. Has anyone ever tried this? If so, were you able to book a tour? Thanks

We are sailing on the Ruby on 9/6/15. We decided not to pre book a whale watching tour in Juneau for several reasons. I was told there were kiosks at the Pier where, if some of us decided to try to go on a whale watching tour, could probably book a tour right there. Has anyone ever tried this? If so, were you able to book a tour? Thanks
Yes, we have done that. The kiosks are right by the tram station, very easy to find from wherever your ship docks because you can just look up at the mountainside and see where the tram line comes down.

Also, Orca Enterprises (one of the most highly recommended whale watching companies) has their office right across the street from the tram station, on the second floor.

So if you stop by there (or call them) they may be able to get you on their next whale watching trip, or one later in the day.

It is one of the companies that also provide optional drop off at Mendenhall Glacier after the whale watching.

Naturally, it is probably easier to find a whale watching tour on the spur of the moment if you are there on a day when there are only one or two cruises ships in Juneau than if you are there on a day when there are many.

Yes, we have done that. The kiosks are right by the tram station, very easy to find from wherever your ship docks because you can just look up at the mountainside and see where the tram line comes down.

Also, Orca Enterprises (one of the most highly recommended whale watching companies) has their office right across the street from the tram station, on the second floor.

So if you stop by there (or call them) they may be able to get you on their next whale watching trip, or one later in the day.

It is one of the companies that also provide optional drop off at Mendenhall Glacier after the whale watching.

Naturally, it is probably easier to find a whale watching tour on the spur of the moment if you are there on a day when there are only one or two cruises ships in Juneau than if you are there on a day when there are many.

Thanks so much for your response. Is there a way to find out what or how many ships will be in port when we are? We are in Juneau on 9/9/15 from 12:30pm - 10:00pm Again thanks

Edited by TXRed

4 ships

Hi Budget Queen,

I will take my first Alaska cruise at the end of this month via Princess, and will get Juneau on September 2nd. I just checked the weather forecast, and it looks like we will have pretty good chance to get steady rain at that time. I heard if it's rainy and windy, it will reduce the chance to see the whale. I am hesitating to book the whale watch tour at this moment. In stead, I am thinking to book the tour on the day we get there too.

Would you provide your experience or suggestion ?

BTW, can I know how many ships will be there on Sept 2nd.

Thanks.

Hi Budget Queen,

I will take my first Alaska cruise at the end of this month via Princess, and will get Juneau on September 2nd. I just checked the weather forecast, and it looks like we will have pretty good chance to get steady rain at that time. I heard if it's rainy and windy, it will reduce the chance to see the whale. I am hesitating to book the whale watch tour at this moment. In stead, I am thinking to book the tour on the day we get there too.

Would you provide your experience or suggestion ?

BTW, can I know how many ships will be there on Sept 2nd.

Thanks.

4 ships, it is a waste of time- to even bother looking up weather predictions. They can NOT be done, until the same day- with any accuracy. I never book any of my tours, based on any- "possible" weather. IF I want to include a tour- I book it. It doesn't matter to me, if it is raining on a whale watch. Out of Gloucester- it's a bonus, since the funky neon green really shows up without sun. I go on at least 20 whale watches a year, so coming from a different perspective.

IF you wait until you are there. You are best to be off your ship right after it clears, and get the whale watch set up.

4 ships, it is a waste of time- to even bother looking up weather predictions. They can NOT be done, until the same day- with any accuracy. I never book any of my tours, based on any- "possible" weather. IF I want to include a tour- I book it. It doesn't matter to me, if it is raining on a whale watch. Out of Gloucester- it's a bonus, since the funky neon green really shows up without sun. I go on at least 20 whale watches a year, so coming from a different perspective.

IF you wait until you are there. You are best to be off your ship right after it clears, and get the whale watch set up.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

Can you see whales at the end of September? We are in Juneau the 21st and I was afraid it might be slim by then because I noticed the tours stopped end of that week??

Edited by 232271

Can you see whales at the end of September? We are in Juneau the 21st and I was afraid it might be slim by then because I noticed the tours stopped end of that week??

You have excellent sighting opportunities. The humpbacks don't migrate for at least another month. Sitka has it's Whale Fest the first week of Nov.

If you are bringing along a cell phone, it can save some time to have a list of phone numbers for the various Juneau whale watching vendors you are considering.

That way you can go right down the list, calling them to check their availability that day when your ship docks in Juneau.

If you call from the ship, just be sure that your calls are not connecting via the ship's expensive at sea satellite system, which should be turned off when the ship is docked.