How big is the window..? ?

Jackk

Am sailing on the Dawn early January/Mexican coast from San Francisco round trip. Reservation is an outside stateroom on the Emerald deck. Brochure says it has a "large window". Is it ?? & could anyone confirm same since we've been on some trips where it hasn't been all that big...Thanx in advance for info anyone might have..... Jack

Jack, I am sure they won't mind, I remembered I saw this link earlier today, it is of the Island but I believe that is a sister ship to Dawn, check it out for pictures of your window!............I am interested as well for we are in the same cabin but on Golden.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/94777489/94777489zWVduf

Catmand

Island is NOT a sister of Dawn. Different hull, different superstructure, different tonnage, built at different shipyards.

Dawn is sis of Sun, Sea, and P&O's Oceana (former Ocean Princess). Island and Coral Princess are sisters.

Jack, do you know if it is a regular outside cabin or a Deluxe outside cabin. I believe the Deluxe oceanview cabins are larger and have quite a large window almost floor to ceiling and wall to wall.
All outside cabins on Emerald Deck on the Dawn are a Category "E" and are the same. Here's the deck plan with categories:

http://travel.travelocity.com/ecruise/ShipDetailsDeck.do?shipId=99&deckId=726

We're in a Cat. E GTY on the Sea Princess next June.

Catmand

Island is NOT a sister of Dawn. Different hull, different superstructure, different tonnage, built at different shipyards.

Dawn is sis of Sun, Sea, and P&O's Oceana (former Ocean Princess). Island and Coral Princess are sisters.

Sorry, kind of why I put "believe" in there, I was just too lazy to look it up and guess I should have, but in the end, think the window will be the same size?

...the window is BIG, covers about 2/3 of the outside wall - we had a window cabin on the Ocean Princess (now gone over to P&O as the Oceana), sisiter to the Dawn, Sun and Sea. In fact, it was so big that more than once we were a little embarassed to leave the curtain open and wake up to another ship right next to us (!). In any case, you'll love it and because it's so big, it's only one small notch below having a balcony, at least as far a scenery is concerned. Enjoy!

Gene

Catmand, don't worry about it, you made an honest mistake. Princess insists on calling all 5 ships (Sun, Sea, Dawn, Island and Coral) Sun class ships, and lists them together on their website.

Druke is correct about them being different, and might actually be petitioning Princess for truth-in-advertising. When it comes to ships, he knows his stuff.

Many thanx to all of you for taking the time to respond. I believe we'll be well satisfied with our choice. Sailed on the Dawn in 97 through the canal and got upgraded to a balcony so that's still possible I guess. We talked some old friends in coming along with us as their first cruise so was hoping they'd like our choice.... Am very impressed with the first rate knowledge available on boards such as this... Thanx again... Jack

Looks like the links on this thread are for regular ocean view rooms. I am curious what the room with the large window looks like.
What other type of oceanview CABIN are you referring to? There are larger cabins but except for balcony cabins and suites, the window is essentially the same size. You can see pictures of the cabin's "large window" in this thread.

caribbean2000,

Were you on Emerald Deck when you had the BIG window? Our friends had a very large picture window on Dolphin Deck. We are on Emerald in November on Sea Princess and I think the window there is just the regular size pictured here in the links.

My sense is that many RCL ships have bigger round windows, but...

The windows on sister ship Ocean Princess (P&O Oceana) on the Plaza deck were large enough that my (big for her age) then 8 year old enjoyed sitting sideways on the window sill to read - like a cubby. It's no port hole!

Archived