Collector's cruise vs. B2B?

Shmoo here

Thank you.

EDIT: Just looked up Carnival stock - $52.80 a share. So I'd have to spend $5000+ in order to get (maybe) $500 in OBC? I doubt that's going to happen.

You're not spending the money. You're investing the money. This is just one of the benefits you get for investing in the corporation. I bought the stock at about $34 a share and today it's $52.30. In that alone I have not lost any money and the original money is still mine. I didn't spend it. In addition, I get what I consider FREE money on every Carnival Corp cruise I go on. In the past 12 months I've gone on 4 cruises on Princess and HAL and I've gotten $850 of OBC from the Shareholder benefit alone. This doesn't include other OBC from other sources. Plus, I get dividends. The money in the investment is still my money, but I got a free $850 this year. I just met with my financial planner today and even he thinks this is a good deal if you cruise a lot. You can sell the stock anytime you need that money. I understand that some people can't afford to put $5000 into an investment. There have been times in my life that I couldn't do it, either. However, if you have the money and you cruise on the Carnival Corp cruise lines, I think it's a good investment.

Edited by KruzPrincess

Collector's cruises have a special discount vs. B2B cruises. B2B are two stand alone cruises while a Collector cruise is 2 or more segments bundled together by HAL and given a special discounted price.

True. But you still must do your homework. There are times when purchasing as 2 separate segments is cheaper than the special bundled Collectors price. It is rare, but sometimes one of the segments may not be selling well and has a great price.

... In addition, I get what I consider FREE money on every Carnival Corp cruise I go on. In the past 12 months I've gone on 4 cruises on Princess and HAL and I've gotten $850 of OBC from the Shareholder benefit alone.

Don't forget that $850 is the equivalent of an after tax $850! That is possibly as much as $1200-$1400 gross, depending on your tax bracket and state taxes.

Not a bad deal at all when converted to those terms.

Don't forget that $850 is the equivalent of an after tax $850! That is possibly as much as $1200-$1400 gross, depending on your tax bracket and state taxes.

Not a bad deal at all when converted to those terms.

Yes. That's correct. You make a good point.

Again I'm asking - what's the minimum amount of shares we'd have to purchase to get the OBC?

Thank you.

EDIT: Just looked up Carnival stock - $52.80 a share. So I'd have to spend $5000+ in order to get (maybe) $500 in OBC? I doubt that's going to happen.

Understand what you are saying, but keep in mind that you also will get the Carnival dividend of $30 quarterly for each 100 shares..If you plan to continue cruising for 5 to 10 years more it might be worth your while..

We bought ours for $18.+ a share in 2009..In 2010 Carnival started paying dividend of $25 a quarter ...So far we've collected $1600 in OBC plus the dividends of $100 a year since 2010..

If you are going to continue cruising, it still might be a good deal to invest the $5280 now.. In 10 years if you only took one 14 day trip per year you would get back $3700 from OBC plus Dividends) ...

If you did two or more cruises per year at 14 days each you would get back $2500 more in OBC..

I suggest anyone purchasing the stock now should Figure out the average No. of cruises you will do plus how many days each cruise might be to see if you will get your $$$ back & more in the next 10 years.. Then when you stop cruising you can still sell your stock & usually will be able to get all your money back plus a nice profit..

And as Ruth pointed out you don't have to claim it on your taxes, so it's worth much more..

Anyone who is still working can purchase the stock in their IRA's.. We're retired so it's part of our investment account..SIZE]

Edited by serendipity1499

Understand what you are saying, but keep in mind that you also will get the Carnival dividend of $30 quarterly for each 100 shares..If you plan to continue cruising for 5 to 10 years more it might be worth your while..

We bought ours for $18.+ a share in 2009..In 2010 Carnival started paying dividend of $25 a quarter ...So far we've collected $1600 in OBC plus the dividends of $100 a year since 2010..

If you are going to continue cruising, it still might be a good deal to invest the $5280 now.. In 10 years if you only took one 14 day trip per year you would get back $3700 from OBC plus Dividends) ...

If you did two or more cruises per year at 14 days each you would get back $2500 more in OBC..

I suggest anyone purchasing the stock now should Figure out the average No. of cruises you will do plus how many days each cruise might be to see if you will get your $$$ back & more in the next 10 years.. Then when you stop cruising you can still sell your stock & usually will be able to get all your money back plus a nice profit..

And as Ruth pointed out you don't have to claim it on your taxes, so it's worth much more..

Anyone who is still working can purchase the stock in their IRA's.. We're retired so it's part of our investment account..SIZE]

It definitely sounds like a good thing to do. However, we don't cruise THAT much (especially on Carnival ships).

Just as a "let's see how this would work out" I went back and figured out how much OBC we would have had on all our Carnival branded cruises since we started cruising. In the last 5 years we would have only gotten around $600 in OBC. Even with the quarterly dividends (about $100 a year) it only totals $1100. It would take us a long time to make up the initial investment, it appears.

Here is our story: We initially booked a collectors 14-day Alaska, leaving today. (Now is 12:30am). Then I asked my TA how much it would be if we book B2B. To my surprise, we saved a few hundreds dollars by changing to B2B. As others said, there are 2 booking reference numbers instead of 1.

Edited by ninefishes

Here is our story: We initially booked a collectors 14-day Alaska, leaving today. (Now is 12:30am). Then I asked my TA how much it would be if we book B2B. To my surprise, we saved a few hundreds dollars by changing to B2B. As others said, there are 2 booking reference numbers instead of 1.

This is unusual, but it happens!

Hope you have a great cruise, one of our favs!!

Something else not mentioned here about Collectors vs B2B, once on the ship they see you as a Collectors even if you have two seperate booking numbers and lumps all of those people in one group one reservation number or two makes no difference. As long as HAL or your TA has had it noted with HAL that you are on a B2B. Your on board account and Internet account stays the same for both voyages on the B2B, if they do any special luncheon for those in the Collectors the person with the B2B will also be invited. Although my understanding is they are doing away with some of these perks they gave to Collectors Voyages. :(

For a very long time buying the Collectors was always an advantage when it came to pricing. In the past year that has not been true at all. As KK mentions especially with the Explore4 those booking Suites come out way ahead booking separate voyages rather than combining.

I will be on a collectors cruise (two 12 day cruises) and an additional 12 day cruise with a separate booking number, so that makes it a b2b. If I purchase a per/min internet package, i.e., 200 min, will I be able to continue using it on the last 12 days assuming I still have minutes left? And I guess since it is considered one cruise, then I can't purchase a laundry package for just the last 12 days? I assume I would have to pay for 36 days? (I realize I can't have it both ways. I'm just trying to figure out what our expenses might be.)

I know that we can bring two bottles of wine without corking cost on the first portion of our cruise. Can we bring another two bottles on the last cruise? I assume the answer is no, but it's worth asking!

Thanks for your help.

Something else not mentioned here about Collectors vs B2B, once on the ship they see you as a Collectors even if you have two seperate booking numbers and lumps all of those people in one group one reservation number or two makes no difference. As long as HAL or your TA has had it noted with HAL that you are on a B2B. Your on board account and Internet account stays the same for both voyages on the B2B, if they do any special luncheon for those in the Collectors the person with the B2B will also be invited. Although my understanding is they are doing away with some of these perks they gave to Collectors Voyages. :(

For a very long time buying the Collectors was always an advantage when it came to pricing. In the past year that has not been true at all. As KK mentions especially with the Explore4 those booking Suites come out way ahead booking separate voyages rather than combining.

Thanks, Lisa

Could you point out the "perks" for Collector's Cruises?

No fancy tote bag anymore and no special VIP party for Collectors only, as in the past.

What is left: the Collector's Lunch/a free Pinnacle..............

Thanks, Lisa

Could you point out the "perks" for Collector's Cruises?

No fancy tote bag anymore and no special VIP party for Collectors only, as in the past.

What is left: the Collector's Lunch/a free Pinnacle..............

Both are up to the discretion of the Hotel Director but I truly believe those will be going away as well. Other than savings for having booked two voyages as one I do not thing there will be any perks for a Collectors Cruise. From what I have been hearing there are quite a few things that will be changing very soon. I would not be surprised to hear very soon about the Gratuities being raised along with a few other things.

Thanks, Lisa

I always though the Collectors perks were strictly on a ship by ship basis (HD) because there have always been so many differences in what you receive.

Unfortunately, for me this has reflected on the graciousness (or lack thereof) of particular HDs.

Appreciate your info!!