First night good for Speciality dinner?

My DH and I will be on the GOS in October, is the first night a good night to book a speciality meal? We were thinking Giovanni's. What is the menu like in the main dining room on the first night?

Our experience has been that there is a discount for booking a specialty restaurant on the first night.

Our experience has been that there is a discount for booking a specialty restaurant on the first night.

Yes they is an incentive for the first night, which is why I am wondering if I should book it.

I book all specialty restaurants before boarding, EXCEPT for the first night. I have found that if you wait until you are on board there is an additional discounted price for the first night. Last time we were offered 50% off of Samba or Chops for the first night of the cruise. There were actually waiters at the entrance to MDR asking if you wanted to eat at a specialty restaurant that evening.

I book all specialty restaurants before boarding, EXCEPT for the first night. I have found that if you wait until you are on board there is an additional discounted price for the first night. Last time we were offered 50% off of Samba or Chops for the first night of the cruise. There were actually waiters at the entrance to MDR asking if you wanted to eat at a specialty restaurant that evening.

Thanks, I will wait and book when I get on the ship then. It is not a big deal if we don't get a reservation. It won't ruin my cruise :P

I'd love to have a discount on specialty. We're going with 7 people and my mom is D+ so she gets the BOGO.

But since I'll have 5 others to pay for, if they give me a discount I'll book us the first night, then we'll do MDR for the remainder of the trip. Or maybe I'll use the discount for that, and use mom's D+ for the second night just the two of us.

The last two cruises I've been on, the first night menu has been Mojo. Menus are linked here but in general Mojo's the menu that features the Grilled Pork Chop, Prime Rib, and Horseradish Crusted Salmon entrees.

Personally I wouldn't miss the first night in MDR. Not so much for the menu but to not have to play catch up with regards to meeting my tablemates or establishing a relationship with my waitstaff team. DW and I generally do specialty dining on the second formal night on a 7-nighter (we're not lobster fans) and we find we generally have a more relaxed dining experience since more people seem to want to do MDR for that second formal night, making the specialty restaurants less crowded. I want to say we were one of the only tables in Chops on Serenade on their second formal night.

Thanks, I will wait and book when I get on the ship then. It is not a big deal if we don't get a reservation. It won't ruin my cruise :P

We booked all of our specialty restaurants on Grandeur after we boarded - we bought discount package as we boarded, and then made our reservations each afternoon - never had a problem getting in or time we wanted. We went to Giovanni's the first night - awesome, and they offered us discount if we wanted to come back another night. We got same offer at Izumi.

We have already booked 3 specialty restaurants online and according to some advertisements we can get 20% onboard credit. Does that have to be asked for ? It is not showing up on the trip planner anywhere. Thanks Gerry

The credit appears on your SeaPass account on board.

Do you think this first night discount would still be available on B2B cruises?

thank you