Hamilton vs. St. George

BiancaV

3 more days and we'll be on the Dawn! Here's my question, my original plan for Tuesday was Hamilton but I'm hearing more and more about St. George should I be trying to get to St. George instead? What is there to see and do in each area?

Thanks!

Check over on the Bermuda board for more detail but Hamilton has some stores and places to eat but not like it was a decade ago when ships called there every week.

St George has some stores but also history as a UNESCO site.

3 more days and we'll be on the Dawn! Here's my question, my original plan for Tuesday was Hamilton but I'm hearing more and more about St. George should I be trying to get to St. George instead? What is there to see and do in each area?

Thanks!

Downtown Hamilton is more of a typical city. There are definitely stores and restaurants and sites to see. St. George is more of a quaint town. Still stores and restaurants and shoppes and a few touristy things. We did both in the same day, taking water shuttle from ship to Hamilton in the morning, and then a taxi from Hamilton to St. George for the afternoon. We used a water shuttle to return to ship from St. George.

It hadn't even crossed my mind to try both in the same day. That could be fun. I think it's been about a decade since I went last so I have forgotten the two. I think back then we actually docked in Hamilton?

It hadn't even crossed my mind to try both in the same day. That could be fun. I think it's been about a decade since I went last so I have forgotten the two. I think back then we actually docked in Hamilton?

We didn't really start the day with a plan to do both. But after a couple hours in Hamilton, we felt like we had done what we wanted to do (we really just walked around since we aren't shoppers). So we approached a taxi stand and asked how much to go to St. George. i think it was $20 or so for 4 of us. So off we went. I think we actually enjoyed the drive between the 2 as much as either location. It was nice to see the various things along the way.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

IMO there is not much to do in St. George's. It is a tiny town and many stores have closed since it is no longer a cruise port stop. When you take the ferry and it goes through the narrow opening, you will understand why today's mega-ships cannot make it through there.

We wandered around, stopped at a grocery store for some drinks and snacks, checked out unfinished church (years ago we went "in" it; you can no longer do that as it's deemed an unsafe structure), up a big hill and back down with a view of Tobacco Bay (nice) and the fort.

It was nice to see one time. Then we took a bus and got a great view of parts of the islands.

Hamilton is a much busier town with more of everything.

Back then, the Norwegian Crown sailed out of New York to all three Bermuda ports....St. George, Hamilton, and the Dockyards....a real treat. She was small enough to easily make it into St. George. She is now the Fred Olsen 'Balmoral'...

http://www.meyerwerft.de/en/meyerwerft_de/schiffe/kreuzfahrtschiffe/norwegian_cruise_line/norwegian_crown/norwegian_crown.jsp

Interesting that the picture in the Meyer Werft page for the Norwegian Crown is the ship in its original life as Royal Cruise Line's Crown Odyssey. We did a Panama Canal transit on her in 1993. Beautiful ship, but so small compared to today's megaliners.

We've taken a couple of cruises to Bermuda and have also flown there. Last year we spent a week at the Fairmont Southampton for our daughter's destination wedding. While both are fun we prefer Hamilton over St. George's because there are a lot more options for things to do. From the Dockyard you can take the ferry to St. George's and then a cab or bus back to Hamilton and do both in the same day. The bus is less expensive but the cab drivers usually tell you a lot about their country, make recommendations about what to see an do and it's a quicker trip.

We did St. George on a Sunday during a guided tour of the island. It was informative, but frankly, there is not a whole lot to see. The tour did not include fort St. Catherine which we had visited years ago. I found the drive over to be more interesting.

Recommend you consider using the bus system. Much more to see. We took ferry from ship to Hamilton and then rode bus back to Dockyard.

Downtown Hamilton is very busy. The Pickled Onion overlooking Front Street is good for lunch. Serve Bermuda only beers.

I missed the liquor stores that flourished before U.S. Customs rules changed and the wonderful department stores like Trimingham's that died out years ago.

I would take the ferry to Hamilton.

Cross the street from the ferry terminal, Head up Queen St., go into Queen Elizabeth park ( on the left behind Perot Post Office )

After that keep walking up the hill to Church St. Turn right, walk past the Bus terminal.

Go to the big church @ the top of the hill. Go IN. find the little door that goes to the 155 stone steeped spiral staircase to the top of the tower.

Check out the best view Hamilton and your ship.

Donations are welcome box is downstairs on the way out. :)

Take the Bus to St.George and enjoy the beauty of Bermuda on the way.

( maybe a Quick stop by the Original Swizzle Inn for a pitcher of swizzle on the way by. )

Ferry back to Dockyard from St. George @ the end of the day. :D:D

J.M.H.O.

Edited by biker@sea

I would take the ferry to Hamilton.

Cross the street from the ferry terminal, Head up Queen St., go into Queen Elizabeth park ( on the left behind Perot Post Office )

After that keep walking up the hill to Church St. Turn right, walk past the Bus terminal.

Go to the big church @ the top of the hill. Go IN. find the little door that goes to the 155 stone steeped spiral staircase to the top of the tower.

Check out the best view Hamilton and your ship.

Donations are welcome box is downstairs on the way out. :)

Take the Bus to St.George and enjoy the beauty of Bermuda on the way.

( maybe a Quick stop by the Original Swizzle Inn for a pitcher of swizzle on the way by. )

Ferry back to Dockyard from St. George @ the end of the day. :D:D

J.M.H.O.

Thanks! I'm printing that out 😊