Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Terry .... that is a lovely American Pizza you had there .... and although the Rotolo's have been your suppliers since 1955, they do not make Neopolitan pizza. Once day before you and I die, I am going to get you to make some dough and put a topping on it and make a Neopolitan pizza. Less is more. Not more is more. Jeff

Appreciate the above excellent thought and idea from Jeff about making some dough and doing a Neopolitan pizza. Agree, that there are many times when "Less is more." Normally on pizza, however, I am more in the camp of "more is more", but I am flexible to try other and/or better things. Great encouragement and educational efforts by Jeff.

By the way, Rotolo's have not been my suppliers since 1955. That year is when Mama Rotolo came here from Italy. It was fun one time when picking up a pizza to talk with her and learn more on their family history details, how they started in Columbus, worked and moved up, etc. I did not get to Columbus until 1966 when starting as a student at Ohio State University.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 122,920 views for this posting.

Got my functions in place. That sounds odd but it relates to Frances. That sounds odd too. I mean camera functions. Ugly day today so I had to play indoors. I am still in the experimenting stage so nothing to show yet. Now sitting with my rusty nail (the drink not the potential need for a tetanus shot) wishing Myster was here.

I was joking Terry ... just ribbing! ;)

I followed the link .... thanks ... and they have a number of tabs which looked hopeful ie "Our Heritage" and "Awards and Recognition" ...... but they were all BLANK!:eek:

M, out of interest when you are bored perhaps you'd list the functions you decided to programme just to compare?

Jeff

Jeff, I am definitely bored silly here. The functions I decided to programme are: Drive Mode, Flash Mode, Flash Comp, Focus Mode, Focus Area, ISO, Metering Mode, White Balance, DRO/Auto HDR, Smile/Face Detection, Soft Skin Effect, and Picture Effect. I can do Exposure Compensation with the down button. How does this compare to your list? I was intrigued with Picture Effect. Like a kid in a candy store. :)

M. as requested this is just me initial set up until I start using the camera properly so nothing I have set up is significant in any way.

Functrion Keys

Row 1 L>R

Creative Stle

Picture Effect

Drive Mode

Focus Mode

Focus Area

Quality

Row 2 L>R

ISO

ND Filter

Metering Mode

White Balance

DRO/Auto HDR

Shoot Mode

Other

Control Ring - Exposure Comp

C Button - In camera Guide

Center - Button Eye AF

Left Button - AF/MF Toggle

Right Button - ISO

Jeff

Cool! :) Mostly the same choices in a different order. I have to ride herd on the dust bunnies today. Nasty things! It is supposed to be sunny this afternoon so I am hoping to catch some fall splendour.

"Enough poncey menus, we need real food, says Rick Stein"

Restaurants have become too pretentious and have lost sight of the virtues of home-cooked food, Rick Stein has declared in a “grumpy old man” moment.

He attacked “poncey restaurants” for offering overworked, multi-course meals instead of substantial main courses.

Asked at the Cheltenham Literature Festival if some national cuisines were overrated, the chef said: “I think that there’s a tendency for people to think that maybe French cuisine is overrated. Some people say a lot of northern Italian food is overrated but in both cases it’s still alive and well if you know where to go — as long as you go in for real food as opposed to restaurant food. I’m sorry to say this, but it’s only my point of view, and I am 68, so I’m a grumpy old man, but I just don’t like really overworked food. I don’t really like multi-course meals. I just like a Dover sole. I just like a piece of steak.”

He said he did not mind “a bit of thought and sophistication” as long as they did not get carried away. “If you look at what people cook in their own homes I don’t think there’s a country in this world that doesn’t surprise you.

“We all love to eat. It’s just if we go to smart poncey restaurants, I think we’re looking in the wrong direction.”

:)

Jeff

Looks like you can't buy it. You need to win a contest. Probably won't be entering that one!

I have some thoughts on Jeff's post above but not going to type them out on my phone... Short version - there is a place for both types of restaurant IMO.

Hello all.

I just read about whopper wine...since we can't get it in the USA, I wonder if anyone across the pond has tried this unique vintage:-)

Apparently only available in Spain?

Gotta love innovation.

Do you think it turns your poop green like the Black Bun Whopper does?

Yesterday I had to play indoors so I toyed with Picture Effect on the camera. The first picture is the back deck taken from the family room through the garden door using HDR Painting - Mid.

DSC00058_zps9nxsxqp7.jpg

The second is a picture of my Zen sand box taken with Illustration - High.

DSC00060_zpswcotwip4.jpg

So, some more thoughts on Jeff's post. I agree with some of what the other grumpy old man [GOM] says:

Some places do take things over the top and it's a seemingly never-ending game of one-upmanship... Who can get the weirdest ingredients, combined in strange ways, overprocessed simple ingredients mangled beyond recognition, etc. I doubt many of us eat that way at home!

But the counterpoint to that is - that's exactly why such a restaurant is interesting, once in a while. I'm not going to take the time to make a fancy multicourse tasting meal like the one we had a few weeks ago in Switzerland, or the tasting menu we had in Paris a few years back. Or a 9-course meal we splurged on for Chris' birthday years ago. Good Lord, each course would take me all day to prepare!

But once or twice a year I am not opposed to paying someone else to do that for me. Where else can I try small servings of many exotic dishes made with ingredients that I'd never have at home? Tasting menus are great to sample lots of dishes that are new or different. If you don't like one, then your meal isn't ruined. I have no problem with that.

If I ate like that every week I'd be much fatter and completely broke, but I don't do that. In addition, it may well spoil the "specialness" of such a menu for me. So the fact that there are plenty of such options out there doesn't bother me as much as it bothers the GOM.

Much of the time we eat out, it's to have something that's a treat, and usually something we don't cook at home. On occasion, we'll grab something when we don't have time to cook and therefore don't have time to sit through a long fancy meal. At times like that, we are looking for simpler food, prepared well.

So I see a role for both types of restaurants, and we certainly enjoy the heck out of both kinds. IF it's the case that all of the fancy places are putting the simpler places out of business, than I can see some of GOM's point. I would agree that things would not be as nice if the fancy molecular gastronomy places with 15-course bite-sized 3-hour meals were our only dining choice. But I think that this is not the reality.

One subtle point that I think GOM is making is that if you look to ethnic, local cuisine you can find things that are just as exotic, and just as interesting, as an overworked dish with 25 ingredients. I wholeheartedly agree; that's one of the reasons we travel and try local foods. Some of our best meals on the recent Africa safari were simple ingredients cooked in a tent kitchen.

The locavore movement is thriving, and to a large extent that rebuts his fear that the fancy restaurants will overcome everything else. The way that we cook at home is very close to the way the GOM likes to eat. We like it too, but the fact that we like fancy tasting menus doesn't diminish our love for fresh simple foods prepared well.

Today the sun was shining so I got to play outside. The first picture was taken from one of the kitchen windows using HDR Painting.

DSC00061_zpsjj7hybdr.jpg

The second was taken using a Scene setting called Sunset to enhance the reds.

DSC00063_zpspisb6gwx.jpg

The third is the same shot taken with HDR Painting - High.

DSC00064_zpszaakgpjw.jpg

And yes, I know I should be practicing using the P setting but this is just so much fun! Life is short! PLAY!

So, some more thoughts on Jeff's post. I agree with some of what the other grumpy old man [GOM] says:

Some places do take things over the top and it's a seemingly never-ending game of one-upmanship... Who can get the weirdest ingredients, combined in strange ways, overprocessed simple ingredients mangled beyond recognition, etc. I doubt many of us eat that way at home!

But the counterpoint to that is - that's exactly why such a restaurant is interesting, once in a while. I'm not going to take the time to make a fancy multicourse tasting meal like the one we had a few weeks ago in Switzerland, or the tasting menu we had in Paris a few years back. Or a 9-course meal we splurged on for Chris' birthday years ago. Good Lord, each course would take me all day to prepare!

But once or twice a year I am not opposed to paying someone else to do that for me. Where else can I try small servings of many exotic dishes made with ingredients that I'd never have at home? Tasting menus are great to sample lots of dishes that are new or different. If you don't like one, then your meal isn't ruined. I have no problem with that.

If I ate like that every week I'd be much fatter and completely broke, but I don't do that. In addition, it may well spoil the "specialness" of such a menu for me. So the fact that there are plenty of such options out there doesn't bother me as much as it bothers the GOM.

Much of the time we eat out, it's to have something that's a treat, and usually something we don't cook at home. On occasion, we'll grab something when we don't have time to cook and therefore don't have time to sit through a long fancy meal. At times like that, we are looking for simpler food, prepared well.

So I see a role for both types of restaurants, and we certainly enjoy the heck out of both kinds. IF it's the case that all of the fancy places are putting the simpler places out of business, than I can see some of GOM's point. I would agree that things would not be as nice if the fancy molecular gastronomy places with 15-course bite-sized 3-hour meals were our only dining choice. But I think that this is not the reality.

One subtle point that I think GOM is making is that if you look to ethnic, local cuisine you can find things that are just as exotic, and just as interesting, as an overworked dish with 25 ingredients. I wholeheartedly agree; that's one of the reasons we travel and try local foods. Some of our best meals on the recent Africa safari were simple ingredients cooked in a tent kitchen.

The locavore movement is thriving, and to a large extent that rebuts his fear that the fancy restaurants will overcome everything else. The way that we cook at home is very close to the way the GOM likes to eat. We like it too, but the fact that we like fancy tasting menus doesn't diminish our love for fresh simple foods prepared well.

Standing ovation from the peanut gallery here JP! Well said and I share your views!

Cool pictures Mysty! Nice special effects. GOM might have an issue with you making the pictures too fancy but I don't. :)

OH JP, THANK YOU! :) I'm prepared for the backlash. I did not follow the lesson plan. And I think Terry will say that I could do all that with photo editing. And I could. But this was more fun! Ha Ha!

Really, great piccies M. With your eye and that camera, you are going to produce some really great piccies on your trip.

Have you taken a piccy of the car yet using toy(?) miniature (?) mode? That's fun. I'm also looking forward to using that mode in the time lapse video app using a tripod and possibly traffic. In other words a toy town film. It would also fun filming trains.

JP, I think you are completely right, but in a way I think that Rick is making a slightly different point - and that - with my own additions .... as I'm on my ipad I'll also wait 'til later. :)

Have a great evening all.

Jeff

JP,

I totally agree that there is a place for a the meals you describe. The issue I see is that the degree of excellence you are talking about is rare and the places producing them rare. The problem is I think the growth of the number of places pretending to be at the top end and doing a bad job. This trend combining with seveal other converging trends is where my issues lie ... and I think Stein's.

I suspect Rick isn't known well in the US or Canada ... perhaps you might see some of his TV stuff. He isn't and I don't believe claims to be a great cook. He simply awakened Britain's interest in fish. He basically said "we're surrounded by fish, why don't Brits eat it and why are we sending our best stuff overseas". So understanding he is a fish chef who has built an empire around it he starts at the other end of the scale. He worships and reveres the ingredient and as a fish chef he knows that less messing around is more. So that is his starting point.

Overlaying my respect of that stance, I also feel strongly that as we have benefited from access to better ingredients over succeeding years to an unrecognisable point today compared to say even 20 years ago, whilst coincidentally has the propensity of later generations not to prepare food. To have all the stuuf increasing in quality and range but less people knowing what to do with it ...

Lot's of causes of this. Some is less time. Some is seeing TV where too much is ostenatiously presented. Kids think if they can't create art on a plate they won't bother trying. It really saddens me that as a whole generation has access to undreamed of material that begs to be prepared simply they are no longer preparing food for the families and sitting together. It saddesn me that we now have all these ingredients, fresh from everyhwere and less and less people know what to do with them.

So whilst I agree with what you say entirely, that there is a place for restaurants to ponce around with food, 99.9% of them probably do a job that isn't very good. They would I believe Stein is saying would do better to cut out all the ostentation and serve up good food, expertly and more simply prepared. And I agree with that. In a way this is also what to some appears to be happening on SS .... I won't go further, but you will get my drift.

I use to have a long-term blogg thread where a large number of people from around the world simply posted pictures of what they were eating today where they were every day. To my suprise it caught imagination and was well subscribed, but I no longer bother. My motives in posting food piccies has always been just one thing, I just want more people to cook who think they can't.

With the number of people that cannot differentiate between really well prepared food, combined with the growth of the number of restaurants aping that top end that you experience and just below that that as Stein calls it "ponces" around with it I think is moving people even further away from cooking and experiencing real food out.

A complicated reply .... but I agree with your point entirely, I just think a different one is being made.

Jeff

Well presented Jeff! From that perspective I think most people would agree. It is interesting to note that the winner of this season's Master Chef was a woman who cooked using her family's heritage and culture in her dishes.

Thanks. I don't think I really succeeded in making the point I was trying to make because it is too many converging disparate trends conspiring.

For example, all British kids it seems these days think they are going to be legends and famous. They are all just about to become famous and celebrities.

So when they take that mentality to food, whilst they see easy access to pre-prepared food and fast food on the high street, and then see what is termed as real food, so ostentatiously presented, so few of them will take the step to prepare food. Why bother? The age of actually cooking good food at home that simply respects the ingredients is in danger of being lost. Crap food prepared by poorer places poncing around is simply another component of that issue to me.

Jeff

Not sure if it might be just a function of age though. Young people don't always embrace traditions and such until they get older and develop a little more maturity. When I was much younger, family and heritage and culture did not even appear on my radar. I was never really "into" food until I was older and got the chance to sample new and interesting options. I would not give up yet on the younger crowd. I don't think they will be easily seduced by chefs "poncing" around with food. Right now it is something like the emperor's new clothes. People are jumping on that band wagon because it seems to have some cachet. The more discriminating taste buds will enjoy the novelty once in a while but will not be satisfied for long when they see the naked emperor. In my opinion of course. :)

J....Do you find the Control Wheel a wee bit skittish? There is the option to lock it. The up and down and right and left buttons would continue to work. Have you done this or even felt the need to? Or is it just a problem for my oafish fingers?

So, I finally finished the trip blog. We really miss Germany and Switzerland... So much fun!

We're in the early stages of planning around next April's Danube cruise. Thinking of coming in a day or two early for extra time in Budapest. The cruise runs Sunday-Sunday but we don't leave Budapest until Monday. Figuring if we can arrive Friday afternoon (Thursday PM flight) we'll have Saturday and Sunday on our own.

After the cruise we're thinking of going from Passau to Salzburg on our own for day then heading back up towards Munich late Monday for a Tuesday AM departure home. We'll see how much of that we can arrange. Since it's part of three different work weeks, it might be challenging.