Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

:D

"Boris Johnson has said US presidential hopeful Donald Trump’s claim that “police are afraid for their own lives” in areas of London because of radical Muslims is “complete and utter nonsense”, and said the only reason to avoid areas of New York is “the risk of meeting Donald Trump"

Jeff

You'd have to start a new thread for the number of posts required to deal with all the things Trump has said that are complete and utter nonsense.

On the other hand, he seems to have been the first to realize, and exploit, the idea that American politics has mostly been reduced to theater. Something he excels at.

You'd have to start a new thread for the number of posts required to deal with all the things Trump has said that are complete and utter nonsense.

On the other hand, he seems to have been the first to realize, and exploit, the idea that American politics has mostly been reduced to theater. Something he excels at.

It is a touch concerning how popular a note he seems to have struck, with the more outrageous he becomes the more support he seems to gain.

We can only pray that he has topped out with the latest pronouncements, that "common sense" prevails and that the unthinkable doesn't happen.

Jeff

I don't really know what to say other than the US has a history, recently at least, of electing people who, after they're elected, rapidly go towards the status quo. Obama and his claims of - Hope and Change - only being the most recent example.

One can only hope that If Trump is elected, most of his rhetoric was precisely that.

I don't really know what to say other than the US has a history, recently at least, of electing people who, after they're elected, rapidly go towards the status quo. Obama and his claims of - Hope and Change - only being the most recent example.

One can only hope that If Trump is elected, most of his rhetoric was precisely that.

I would say that whilst that may be true of the relatively sensible candidates so far, that most of the Trump evidence ... although very limited .... would lead many Brits to believe the opposite.

We have had a number of lengthy profiles on his "behaviour" here particularly with respect to his behavior during his hotel anf gold course development deals. They involved terrible bullying and bribes etc. I'd put cash on him currently being restrained.

Jeff

Well l say keep the bugger out...or maybe he should join our Raving Monster Loony Party...[emoji15]

Seriously...it is frightening, I've never like him anyway but right now he's a very dangerous man.

Still busy wrapping pressies....a chore I'm not keen on but the sherry is once again helping...[emoji6]

Had a lovely surprise this morning ..a bottle of LP fizz and truffles arrived courtesy of my wonderful TA's. [emoji16]

Sophia [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Morning All! Sophia....what a lovely gift from your TAs! Enjoy!

J and Mark.... I did not intend to make light of the situation. Consider it gallows laughter! Sitting on a border with a potential powder keg is not a comfortable place to be. It seems tha Canada could end up with a barbed wire border to prevent the terrorists from sneaking into the US from here. For today, I don't want to think about it! I'm going to bury my head in the dust bunnies and then sneeze them into oblivion.

Enjoy your day all!

Edited by mysty

Had white goods installations today so fettuccine and lovely sauce and chilli garlic bread for speed. (no cheese on the bread ... just melting butter ....) Jeff

Appreciate these super good-looking food pictures from Jeff. Seems very tasty!!!

Won't wade too deep into the Donald Trump stuff right now. Got other "real work" to do today, plus more Christmas lights to be arranged outside. BUT, just to share for the record that about three months ago on one of the TV programs that I do here locally, I stated "Trump is a mile wide and an inch deep." Was my message clear enough? Am I correct or wrong? As I have discussed Trump on TV programs in the past, I give a lot of credit to the distorted "entertainment side" and ratings thirst with the TV and radio worlds these days. PLUS, the current impacts for such shallow media trends as reflected by "Reality TV". Plus, you need to give credit to the media's excessive coverage of people like the Kardashians and Jenners as if "celebrity" reflects substance and honest importance. The media, cable "news", the Internet, etc., all "feed" much of the focus on "sizzle" . . . versus . . . actual, honest discussions of serious policy and public issues.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 128,422 views for this posting.

Yes gas prices are down and Canada is struggling with it because it is one of our biggest dollar value exports and the tax on gasoline at our pumps funds provincial coffers. Since the OPEC decision on the weekend, our TSX has dropped about 500 points. People approaching retirement as nervous as pension pots have shifted to stocks because bond interest is abysmal. Not a happy time here in the Great White North!

Thanks M ... don't encourage me!

The tarte was all about my upset with an English cake we have which is called "Eccles Cake". It is a great idea but mean with fruit. So I made an Eccles Tart but with much richer fruit filling. Nicer after a day or two for everything to "make friends" and blend. Wifey likes it warmed up. She took the smaller slice. :)

We've just had some coffee.

Jeff

D203E519-24D9-4904-8A5E-36BDBF07D828.jpg

F50B17CB-1950-4888-94B0-2FEF68EEF3B7.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

J.... A local farmers' market here had a stall selling pastries, pies and something they called "Eccles Cake". It looked much nicer than it tasted unfortunately! I like the look of your version much better!

Mark.... Where did the little dogs do their business? Doesn't sound like an ideal situation for them. Or for anyone!

J.... A local farmers' market here had a stall selling pastries, pies and something they called "Eccles Cake". It looked much nicer than it tasted unfortunately! I like the look of your version much better!

Mark.... Where did the little dogs do their business? Doesn't sound like an ideal situation for them. Or for anyone!

I don't know, the only places I saw them were on a tender going back to the ship and on the pool deck.

Edited by Mark_K

Filled the car with gas for $1.70/gallon this morning, the lowest it's been for a while. For our UK friends that's about 30p/litre.

YES, gasoline prices going down, down is very good here in the USA. Tuesday, when I filled up, the base price was $1.77 per gallon, but I had a an added 20 cents off discount through our grocery purchases. Net price? Only $1.57 a gallon!! Good deal. Happy driver now compared to paying double that price not too long ago.

Appreciate, Jeff, the good-looking food pictures! Keep it coming!!

On Carole King, the CBS Morning News just had a very good and in-depth profile on this famed entertainer. What comes to mind first is how we forget she got started as a song-writer, including many famous tunes and for many great singers. Here is one of their story summaries: "If America's coming of age had a soundtrack, Carole King would have written the lyrics. From the civil rights movement through Vietnam, her words were the keys to our peace of mind. Through first loves, first dances and broken hearts, we've always had King as a friend."

This profile brought back to mind great connections with Aretha Franklin, James Taylor, etc. From this web location below, you can read and see more from their whole story:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/kennedy-center-honors-carole-king-talks-career-as-songwriter-performer/

Bring backs nice memories from wonderful eras in musical history!! This includes such song/hits as: Locomotion by Little Eva, Up On The Roof by the Drifters, Will You Love Me Tomorrow by the Shirelles, One Fine Day by the Chiffons, Take Good Care Of My Baby by Bobby Vee and, of course, Natural Woman by Aretha Franklin.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 207,140 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474