Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Ha Ha! I hope you said hello Mark! :) Are you home now? It is unseasonably warm here and I'm sure we will pay for it later this month.

Yes, home safe and sound - other than a little Mal de Debarquement. Yesterday, the shower in our house was rocking more than the one on the ship ever did.

Overall, it was a great cruise. Met some nice people, including joefromchicago and Mrs chicago, and fighterone and Mr one.

We did book the 2016 fall Spirit transatlantic while on board. I always feel better when I have a cruise to look forward to, even if it's quite a ways off.

Morning Coolers! Continues to be unseasonably warm here. There is talk of a green Christmas. We have had a couple of those over the years. Since I am not a fan of snow and cold I will not be too upset if our Christmas is green.

Mark...Glad you enjoyed the cruise and met some nice people. I had never heard of Mal de Debarquement. I had to look it up. I hope recovery is quick! Not the best souvenir of your trip!

Enjoy the day all!

Wifey was missing her mumsey who we lost this time of year ..... and as it happens I do miss her so much as well.

So I did her a Mother-in-Law Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding with Goose Roasted Maris Pipers with Beacoup to Bruxelles with Hot Horseradish and Rosso Gravy. (Notice the use of continental language and Capital Letters to imply importance)

Jeff

ps ... apologies about the cropping but we had started to eat before I took the piccy and I wanted to destroy the evidence and try and make it look elegant.

:)

19F0EDDD-B70D-44B0-B1CC-5139D5D1278A.jpg

That trad. Sunday meal looks lovely - I find it hard to get good roast beef unless you have a fairly large joint, which for me would be rib on the bone.

Jeff, I get the impression from another thread that you are really 'off' cruising at present, or is it just that particular line? I hardly dare to mention another one if you are interested, which we find fairly straight forward in their dealings as well as pretty luxurious. I suppose though that for us, getting on and not good at walking long distances, cruising does make a very appealing holiday, dodging into different ports where a short walk, look round, and perhaps a sit at a cafe to people watch suffices.

Lola

Thanks M ..... no we're lucky. We have only good memories. The only downside was that this happened on one of our Christmas Market trips to Vienna ie early Decemer and Mumsey was looking after the house and dogs and children in our house and she died whilst we were on our way back. She was an extraordinary woman without which wifey and I wouldn't be together now. Anyway ..... sniff ... sniff.... I know she loved me and would be proud of how I am looking after her daughter and grandchildren and I feel she is here with us ... poor girl. My regret was that I could now buy her more holidays than I was able to when she was alive.

I even cannot bring myself to replace the Kenwood Chefy she saved so hard to buy us. Anyway.. :)

Lola, taking two bits.

Firstly re cruises. It's a touch complicated. But to summarise. Because we have been to all the places we need to go to before we die, a cruise is now not about ports and destinations but about the cruise itself. So the cruise itself has to be better than the alternatives ie what we currently do or staying at home. It just doesn't seem at the moment that compelling. But as you imply, the next one will be SB if and when. I can explain more fully but if you ponder what I have said then I think you will understand the predicament we have. It doesn't pass the "so what" test.

Re Roast Beef. Understand perfectly. I have been thinking about this problem for some time. This is what I now do from today.

The problem is two fold. Only two of us eating so too much kerfuffle for a Sunday lunch and too much wastage which always spoils it for me. I hate waste. This is my new cunning plan and it works perfectly.

On special offer this week was a very large Welsh grass fed topside of beef which was half price. I cooked the beef to medium ie I probed it at medium rare and took it out to rest until completely cold. I made a martini rosso gravy to vat like quantitites. I then cut the cold beef and put it into Chinese takaway containers of around 8 thin slices with lashings of gravy - per pack - ie enough for a meal for two. I froze all but one. So for the next few meals ... beef and gravy done ... just veggies. ps frozen Birds Eye isn''t the same ......

Today I did the goose fat roasties, brussels and shop bought yorkshires and warmed up the beef. Perfect. Less hassle. No wastage. Lovely soft meat in gravy that tastes freshly done.

By the way that whole meal was less than £2:00 per person for what I think would be a tad more restaurant bill-wise but much better than what we eat when we have the odd Sunday lunch out. Then there was the box of Red. And the afternoon doze ... and blazing fire :D

What do you think?

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Sounds like a winning idea Jeff - the beef, I mean. If I had half a brain I might have thought of it myself. And will try to emulate you.

I can quite see that, particularly as you can manage to do First or Business Class long haul without breaking the bank, your hotel based stays where you know the ropes and staff etc. must be very appealing. We feel somewhat the same about the cruise line; we have done so many with them it is like going home, to a home where you are completely looked after, and know many on board almost as good friends. No doubt the food is not quite as good as the best meals on land, it never is for good reasons, but just to be cosseted and have lots of choices plus pretty good drinks is enough for us. Going ashore is almost a bonus. Yes, we have been most places, around the world as well as Europe, and are happy with the memories of times in Sydney, Hong Kong, Singapore, Santiago de Chile etc. etc., and just to take short flights to the Med. or Norway etc. And occasionally find a new place - Symi in Greece this year, which was quite charming.

Apologies for the long ramble

Lola

Yes, home safe and sound - other than a little Mal de Debarquement. Yesterday, the shower in our house was rocking more than the one on the ship ever did. Overall, it was a great cruise. Met some nice people, including joefromchicago and Mrs chicago, and fighterone and Mr one. We did book the 2016 fall Spirit transatlantic while on board. I always feel better when I have a cruise to look forward to, even if it's quite a ways off.

UKCruiseJeff: Firstly re cruises. It's a touch complicated. But to summarise. Because we have been to all the places we need to go to before we die' date=' a cruise is now not about ports and destinations but [b']about the cruise itself.[/b]

Glad that Mark is back, safe and sound. No mention by Mark about his Michigan team. Today is when we find out about the bowl games. Michigan, along with Ohio State, etc., will be going to good bowl match-ups. More college football excitement. Great game last night between Michigan State and Iowa. Thrilling finish!!

Appreciate Jeff's fun food photo and background on it. Very tasty!! On travel philosophy, maybe it's good or bad that Jeff and his wife have already done ALL of their needed destinations. Understand that situation, but for us, we still have lots and lots of locations on our to-do list, both internationally and in the USA. Interesting situations and challenges for all of us. From our viewpoint, the cruise is nice and can be very enjoyable. BUT, it is the destination as our top priority. Different strokes for different folks.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 207,055 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Sounds like a winning idea Jeff - the beef, I mean. If I had half a brain I might have thought of it myself. And will try to emulate you.

I can quite see that, particularly as you can manage to do First or Business Class long haul without breaking the bank, your hotel based stays where you know the ropes and staff etc. must be very appealing. We feel somewhat the same about the cruise line; we have done so many with them it is like going home, to a home where you are completely looked after, and know many on board almost as good friends. No doubt the food is not quite as good as the best meals on land, it never is for good reasons, but just to be cosseted and have lots of choices plus pretty good drinks is enough for us. Going ashore is almost a bonus. Yes, we have been most places, around the world as well as Europe, and are happy with the memories of times in Sydney, Hong Kong, Singapore, Santiago de Chile etc. etc., and just to take short flights to the Med. or Norway etc. And occasionally find a new place - Symi in Greece this year, which was quite charming.

Apologies for the long ramble

Lola

L ..... don't you start bleedin' well apologisin' for posting a ramble .... against MY long winded stuff!

Re beef. I always like you chose ribs when cooking a la moment, but with this approach .... topside or similar is perfect. Hope you try it.

Re travel, I do perfectly get it. It is horses for courses. I got so much travel with work and I do get it.

However cruise based travel only get's you tasters of often just a few hours. It really isn't any more. You normally often don't eat or sleep there. If you want to feel and smell Sydney or Singapore for example then you really do need a full trip. And first class is accesssible if you are flexible which most people who are unemployed can be and make the most of the system. Funnily enough our last 12 months of 3 return F flights for two ie 12 flight aectors were exceptional value and our trips were less than for what we'd have paid for cruises of similar length. But if the tasters are fine and you find what you get on board perfectly OK it is a perfect rational choice.

No one is wrong .... we're all just different. :)

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

No one is wrong .... we're all just different. :) Jeff

Super well summarized and stated by Jeff above. Appreciate the varied thoughts and comments.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 128,202 views for this posting.

Just checking in on you lot before I depart these shores!

Jeff's Sunday roast looks delicious, agree with Lincslady about trying to get a decent piece of beef for roasting though. Most of the time I'm only cooking for two of us and it's quite a challenge finding a good joint if there are less than 6 of you.

I'll try to catch up when I'm on the ship.

Have a good week, Coolers :)

Just checking in on you lot before I depart these shores!

Jeff's Sunday roast looks delicious, agree with Lincslady about trying to get a decent piece of beef for roasting though. Most of the time I'm only cooking for two of us and it's quite a challenge finding a good joint if there are less than 6 of you.

I'll try to catch up when I'm on the ship.

Have a good week, Coolers :)

Take us with you Froggers, and have a great trip!

Jeff

Jeff,

It seems your local tourist attraction may have been constructed in Wales, and moved to Wiltshire 500 years later.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/dec/07/stonehenge-first-erected-in-wales-secondhand-monument

Thanks Mark,

I am probably getting very old, but I think the link between the Stones has always been they were from Wales. I don't recall ever thinking otherwise. That has been (I think) the whole mystique of the Stones ie how on earth did they get them all the way from Wales to Salisbury. The age issue has always been a bit odd. Why on earth do people get excited about Stonhenge when you compare what they were constructing in Egypt and Asia and Africa at the same time and earlier. It must have always meant that we were either backward or the Stones were older.

This is just another lean news day story that seems to imbellish a previous one perhaps.

When is your next visit to wonderful Blighty.

Jeff

Jeff,

as you did not make it, here is at least a picture:

british-airways-erweitert-flugprogramm-ab-salzburg-41-61608815.jpg

Thanks!

BA were really suprised when I gave the seat up for a more important person. :D

Today I fed her on a 20 day dry aged steak panini with Breddon Champers simply because it is wonderful to be alive and to have such a perfect and lovely wifey.

Hope our Northern coolers will post and reassure us about whether they have wet feet or not.

Jeff

No floods in flat Lincs Jeff, though we had a few concerned moments about son and spouse, who have just within the past few weeks moved to the Lake District. Good timing, eh? Luckily their new place is part way up a fell, and has never been flooded in living or previous memory, but they are looking down on flooded fields far below, and may not be able to get out to shop for a few days. It sounds as if more rain has fallen in a short time than recorded history, and it is so sad that the defences of not long ago have not managed to hold the water back. Some of the people's stories are really heart-rending.

No wet feet here on the Welsh borders Jeffers.....a bit of local flooding in the next village which is situated right on the River Dee but nothing catastrophic...it's been a beautiful mild and sunny day today, I've been out sorting fathers blue badge out..quite an experience as l had to go to the local contact centre....[emoji15]

So sorry for those folk up Carlisle way...devastating for them....yet again.

Just waiting for pup to get back from doggy day school....fresh salmon and chicken for his dinner ...he eats better than Moi!! [emoji6]

Sophia [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great to hear from some Coolers that they are Dry!

For what it is worth, which is almost nothing. Just spent a lovely hour or so outise in La Cucina Smoking Emporium with a 1999 El Ray Del Mundo and a smidgen of Torres and a nougat. I had another couple of those wonderful electric stand patio heaters delivered today and my under folicled head is still reeling from the warmth.

The good thing is that I have come to a munumental decision. I am not going to concvern my self about how filthy the roof of La Cucina becomes with leaves and green and stuff. It is nature. I have agreeed with nature that he (or she) will take care of the roof and I (and wifey) will simply keep the inside clean. It is a battle we will never win. And I put up some Chrissy Icicicle lights!

Some Torres assisited piccies.

Sorry.

Jeff

9A3CEEDA-19E6-4981-8741-108230ADD086.jpg

FF860AEE-9101-47B9-BB1F-4D7526481A9B.jpg

243E4E11-7CEC-40A9-8ACD-F760A2E45097.jpg

E63DC208-01E5-49F0-BC0C-5C8A400FC0E1.jpg

I have dry feet and am still in Blighty thanks to FlyBe :mad: the most unreliable airline ever.

Will be going back tomorrow, no great shakes really, I can lounge around here doing my own thing. Which actually isn't very much :).

Christmas lights adorning La Cucina look fab. I like Cote d'Or chocolate very much, I get it from Ocado when I'm here as they usually have it on a deal and not many of the shops have it. Haven't tried that nougat one though.

Sophia I'm :D thinking of you in the contact centre. Hope the blue badge is sorted out now, it can be quite challenging to renew them.

Terrible images from Cumbria, parts of Lancashire and the Scottish Borders. My brother and his wife live in Lancashire in a very rural area, it's rained very heavily but no flooding for them.

Last week, there was strong interest mentioned about American signer Carole King. Last night was the evening for the honors at the Kennedy Center. How did things go? Fine, per news reports. Below is one picture from the Daily Mail in London of Carole King with the President and his wife in the prime boxes inside the Opera House above where we were seated nine days ago. Is Carole King looking good at her age and after a busy life?

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 32,984 views for these postings.

From the Daily Mail, here is a picture from last night of Carole King in the boxes with the President and his wife.:

Nov2015PixsA4_zpsqva50u9p.jpg