Buying cigarettes on the breeze

goofygirl64

Does anyone know how much marlboros are on the breeze?

Also, how many are you allowed to buy duty free? Any idea how much they charge you if you buy more than the allowed amount?

My co worker asked me to bring him some back. Thanks

Does anyone know how much marlboros are on the breeze?

Also, how many are you allowed to buy duty free? Any idea how much they charge you if you buy more than the allowed amount?

My co worker asked me to bring him some back. Thanks

We always buy the multi carton pkg with 4 cartons in it.

We always list it on the duty form and out of 3 times we did this we were only charged once.

It was like $10.

The customs peeps usually don't care about it.

Just be HONEST about what you have.

You do not want to get caught with not reporting something.

They can make your life miserable if they choose to.

Really, they are looking for the big stuff like jewelry & cases of alcohol, etc...

If you are going to St Thomas you can bring back 5 cartons if at least 4 of them are purchased on the island. I just brought back 5 cartons of Kools. They were $29 each. Marlboro's were about the same. Just keep the receipt to prove where you bought them.

Question on the St. Thomas post... I always thought your duty limitation was restricted to entry back into the states and was a set amount of 1 carton per adult. Nothing at all to do with where you bought them.

My husband is a smoker and we usually buy 2 cartons on our trips on the ship... but we will be in St. Thomas on our cruise in 2 weeks.. so this has peaked my interest.

Why exactly would your duty free allowance increase for entry back into the US simply because they were bought in St. Thomas? Can you elaborate please?

From Carnival's FAQ:

Carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1370/~/duty-free-allowancecigarettes-and-tobacco-products

Duty-Free Allowance for U.S Residents: Ship itineraries that include any of U.S Virgin Islands: St Thomas; St Croix; St John

• $1600 (retail) of duty-free purchases per person may be spent. Note: of the $1600, no more than $800 can be purchased outside the U.S. Virgin Islands or on board.
  • 5 liters of alcohol per person (21 years or older). Note: 1 liter of alcohol must be a product of the U.S. Virgin Islands.
  • 1 carton of cigarettes (18 years or older).
  • 100 non-Cuban cigars (18 years or older).

Duty-Free Allowance for U.S Residents: All other ship itineraries

• $800 (retail) of duty-free purchases per person may be spent.
  • 1 liter of alcohol per person (21 years or older). Note: On certain itineraries, an additional liter may be purchased.

just off the Splendor, and the cruise director said one carton equals 200 cigs so you can get one of those double cartons that are 20 packs. Marlboro were 2 cartons of 10 packs for $66 or $37 if you purchased just one. Bottom line as cheap as $3.30 a pack!

So tempted to buy hubby a carton to bring home but I want him to quit!!!

You didn't say when your cruise was. Since the Breeze is coming to Galveston next May, I hope your cruise is before the move. The state of TEXAS has started charging state tax on liquor and cigarettes, EVEN IF IT IS US DUTY FREE. The tax is $3.75 per liter of booze and $1.50 per pack of smokes. It sorta' takes the fun of buying duty free.

Edited by Hawaiifrank

From Carnival's FAQ:

Carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1370/~/duty-free-allowancecigarettes-and-tobacco-products

Duty-Free Allowance for U.S Residents: Ship itineraries that include any of U.S Virgin Islands: St Thomas; St Croix; St John

• $1600 (retail) of duty-free purchases per person may be spent. Note: of the $1600, no more than $800 can be purchased outside the U.S. Virgin Islands or on board.
  • 5 liters of alcohol per person (21 years or older). Note: 1 liter of alcohol must be a product of the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Duty-Free Allowance for U.S Residents: All other ship itineraries

• $800 (retail) of duty-free purchases per person may be spent.
  • 1 liter of alcohol per person (21 years or older). Note: On certain itineraries, an additional liter may be purchased.

The part about the cigarettes from US Virgin Island is wrong on Carnivals web site.

According to US Customs and Border Patrol:

How many cigarettes can I bring back from a U.S. insular possession (U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, or Guam)?

You may include 1,000 cigarettes within your $1,600 duty-free exemption, but at least 800 of them must have been acquired in an insular possession (U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, or Guam). Only 200 cigarettes may have been acquired elsewhere. If you have more than 1,000 cigarettes, the remaining will be dutiable at a flat rate of 1.5% and subject to Internal Revenue Service taxes.

St Thomas is a US Vrigin Island

Edited by Namelocg

• 3 months later...