You'll want to see this

StanandJim

http://curioustravelertv.com/

All about O Life ;)

Question about the narrator's pronunciation of the Oceania: She repeatedly says "Oh-shee-ann-ahhh"? Is that the preferred corporate pronunciation? It sure doesn't match the spelling.

Is O Life the new trademarked phrase referring the general on-board experience? I've been associating it with the introduction of some included ship's tours, a la Regent. However, this video says its goal is to describe the O Life, but refers to activities that have been in place on O ships since Day one of the company's existence. No mention of included excursions.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Question about the narrator's pronunciation of the Oceania: She repeatedly says "Oh-shee-ann-ahhh"? Is that the preferred corporate pronunciation? It sure doesn't match the spelling.

It's always been pronounced that way. If you ever see a video of Mr. Del Rio speaking listen to the way he says it. End of subject.

This subject has been discussed quite a bit here in the past. I'm really surprised you haven't seen this before.

On the other hand I can't get the video to work. I can get others to work from that website, just not that one.

Edited by ORV

It's always been pronounced that way. If you ever see a video of Mr. Del Rio speaking listen to the way he says it. End of subject.

This subject has been discussed quite a bit here in the past. I'm really surprised you haven't seen this before.

Oh, I probably have seen the topic being discussed, but it was certainly jarring to hear the pronunciation on what is clearly a corporate piece of marketing.

Mr Del Rio can pronounce the name any way he wants, but I still think it is a goofy solution to the problem that caused him to make the name change in the first place. To a teacher's ear, "Oh-she-ann-ahh" sounds like someone did a sloppy job reading the word.

Besides, how many of Oceania's cruisers have heard videos of Mr. Del Rio speaking? I'm willing to bet that most of them look at the spelling of the name and pronounce it the not-Del Rio-way. I'm not even sure the cruise director pronounced the official way in his daily announcements.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

I can't help it; I'm somewhat anal and literal, so I must pronounce it with the "nee ya" no matter how Frank pronounces it. But. it doesn't jar me to hear it pronounced any other way. I, however, can't stand incorrect spelling (unless it's a typo, of which I'm constantly guilty).

Edited by hondorner

I can't help it; I'm somewhat anal and literal, so I must pronounce it with the "nee ya" no matter how Frank pronounces it. But. it doesn't jar me to hear it pronounced any other way. I, however, can't stand incorrect spelling (unless it's a typo, of which I'm constantly guilty).

The more I've thought about my very, very recent Nautica cruise, the more I realized why the video pronunciation jarred me so much. The cruise director must have been pronouncing it with the expected "nee ya" or I would have had reacted while listening to his announcements and the video would not have been a surprise.

Only people on board that I've heard not pronouncing it correctly are usually not from the US. Oddly enough I've heard some of these same people call Jacques, Jacks.

Personally I've always seen and heard it in my mind without the "I", even before I knew that was the correct way to say it (simply because the owner says it is). Then again I'm an uneducated hillbilly that went to backwoods rural schools. I get a lot of stuff wrong when it comes to English and grammar. I am generally jarred more when I hear it with the extra syllable thrown in.

I agree that the way it's spelled that the "I" should be pronounced. But it's not.

But here's a fun related topic,

http://theweek.com/articles/451308/aunt-adult-pajamas-why-cant-agree-how-pronounce-common-words

Edited by ORV

and many, many English words include letters that are not pronounced....particularly on the European side of the Atlantic.:)

I understand that is precisely how Oceania teaches the crew to have team Spirit.

-as in-

"There is No "I" in Team

& there is no "I" in Oceania" :p

8e6a4553de03a2086163b84127590848.jpg?itok=zDbLC4he

I have always omitted the "i" when pronouncing the line's name and most crew that I have heard have as well. One exception is when we were on a ship's tour on our first cruise on O -- we were on a B2B and the "turn around" day was in Costa Rica. They wanted us off the ship until the afternoon so we took their tour. The guide on that tour insisted the "i" was to be pronounced. But that was in 2003 ...

I'm thinking the reason I prefer omitting the "i" is precisely because they wanted to name the line Oceanea ... but couldn't because of the ship by the same name. So they added an "i" to the spelling ...

That's MY thinking. It doesn't make it so.

Mura

I have always omitted the "i" when pronouncing the line's name and most crew that I have heard have as well. One exception is when we were on a ship's tour on our first cruise on O -- we were on a B2B and the "turn around" day was in Costa Rica. They wanted us off the ship until the afternoon so we took their tour. The guide on that tour insisted the "i" was to be pronounced. But that was in 2003 ...

I'm thinking the reason I prefer omitting the "i" is precisely because they wanted to name the line Oceanea ... but couldn't because of the ship by the same name. So they added an "i" to the spelling ...

That's MY thinking. It doesn't make it so.

Mura

Mura dear,

There is no ship (anywhere hopefully) named Oceanea, but P&O does have one called Oceana

Oceana_cruise_ship_photos.jpg

That was the name that Messers Del Rio and Watters wanted for their new company, but when there was a conflict, they compromised and made it Oceania

Oceana-Cruises-02.jpg

Sorry, Jim. That was a typo.

Of course I never make typos ... but I did this time! I was aware that the ship in question was with P&O.

I probably made another typo here ...

Mura

• 5 weeks later...
Oh, I probably have seen the topic being discussed, but it was certainly jarring to hear the pronunciation on what is clearly a corporate piece of marketing.

Mr Del Rio can pronounce the name any way he wants, but I still think it is a goofy solution to the problem that caused him to make the name change in the first place. To a teacher's ear, "Oh-she-ann-ahh" sounds like someone did a sloppy job reading the word.

Besides, how many of Oceania's cruisers have heard videos of Mr. Del Rio speaking? I'm willing to bet that most of them look at the spelling of the name and pronounce it the not-Del Rio-way. I'm not even sure the cruise director pronounced the official way in his daily announcements.

Not sure how you want to pronounce it but it's been Oceania (as pronounced in video) since i first traveled with them in 2005.

Not sure how you want to pronounce it but it's been Oceania (as pronounced in video) since i first traveled with them in 2005.

Why not spell the word "fish" g-h-o-t-i? After all, the "gh" in "enough" is pronounced "f". The "o" in "women" is pronounced like a short "i." The "ti" in nation is pronounced "sh." String these letters together and "ghoti" can legitimately be pronounced "fish."

So Mr. Del Rio can pronounce Oceania any way he wants. But he should also be prepared to have a segment of his customers wonder why he didn't spell the name in a way that eliminates rather than creates confusion. YMMV

Pet Nit Noy,

If you go back to the very early history of the line, FDR wanted to call it "Oceana" but could not because there is a ship bearing that name.

So they added the "i" to make it Oceania.

I prefer the pronunciation without the extra "i" but that doesn't mean anyone else has to agree!

Is it really such a problem?

Mura

If you go back to the very early history of the line, FDR wanted to call it "Oceana" but could not because there is a ship bearing that name.So they added the "i" to make it Oceania.

I remember the legal challenge over the name. However, I assumed that when the company changed the spelling, the pronunciation followed suit. To do otherwise would have violated the KISS principle; Don't choose a name that you have to teach people to pronounce.

Two months ago, hearing the video that began this thread, I discovered I was wrong. Del Rio had changed the spelling but kept the earlier pronunciation. I accept the fact that I'm wrong as far as corporate is concerned -- and all the posters who have proudly posted that they've known the correct pronunciation since (fill in any date you choose). Nevertheless, I've managed to book and enjoy Oceania cruises any time I wanted to take one despite my failure to pronounce the name "right." Now, the issue over port time changes is occupying more of my energy than the pronunciation of the name, Oceania.

Well, I DO agree that I am more concerned as well about reduced port times than I am about pronunciation of the name!

I've always considered that a non-issue myself ... but every so often a thread starts on the subject and I can't refrain from commenting... My bad!

Now as to being "proud" that I use the "correct" pronunciation ... I plead innocent. Pronounce the name as you wish, I have no problem with that. (I don't mean YOU, I mean anyone!)

Mura

That in the United States we are really what would be 4 to5 separate countries

Folks in Miami speak with different inflections than Maine or New York

Chicago has its dialect as does San Francisco... and then there is Texas0Oklahoma..and didI mention North Dakota? Maryland, Who's right who's wrong will remain as flexible as where you is to who you are talking to.

England is full of them Yorkie- Midlands home counties and Then Germany too...

Interesting enough the broadcast industry considers southern California to be the purest and cleanest use of the English language and a standard baseline .

Somehow, just somehow, I see a ray of hope that we will all be able to resolve this potential world dilemma

Interesting enough the broadcast industry considers southern California to be the purest and cleanest use of the English language and a standard baseline.

Southern California is the current standard for neutral English, but that wasn't always the case. Decades ago, the midwestern pronunciation was considered the standard. As midwest farmers began a mass migration to California, their neutral accent came with them. (Interestingly, the sound of English as spoken by midwesterners currently living there has actually moved away from the previous neutral standard.)

If you're old enough to remember when you could dial the telephone and hear the time, you were listening to Jane Barbe, the most famous speaker of neutral English. Even today, Barbe's recordings are used world wide for error messages when dialing and for time and weather announcements for companies that still provide those things. Barbe is actually a Southerner who speaks with an obvious regional accent when going about her normal life. Put her in front of a microphone and her neutral accent comes forth.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Back over 50 years ago, when I was still in college, the standard of broadcast English was considered to be the Tri-State are of Western Pennsylvania (specifically Pittsburgh), Southeastern Ohio and Northern West Virginia. The reason was simple -- KDKA in Pittsburgh was the very first commercial radio station. Westinghouse was beginning to make radios, and needed a way to sell them. They asked Dr. Frank Conrad, a ham operator, to help them set up the station. He was the one who invented the word, "broadcast". In those days, stations could choose their call letters, starting with either "W" or "K". Later, in 1923, standards were set that all stations in the East would start with "W". KDKA, I believe, is the only radio station in the East still starting with a "K".

So, it was simple -- they invented broadcasting, so their "accent" was broadcast English. In college, near Pittsburgh, I had a language professor who researched dialects around the world. He agreed that the Tri-State area had the least amount of "accent" in the USA (disregarding "Pittsburgheze" such as Youns and warsh <g>). But, that was 53 years ago...