Changing itinerary due to weather

Funkyfoco

I'm curious...if you've had a ship rerouted due to weather...where were you originally headed and where did you actually go???

I'm heading out of NOLA on the dream Sunday going to roatan, belize and cozumel.

It seems like a fun topic to chat about

Greta

Edited by Funkyfoco

Our frist cruise was back in 2004. We were book on Glory. Wish thangs would of been better then they were. lol Our cruise was cut down from 7 to 4 days. See, we had the pleasure of meeting Hurricane Frances!!

The ship could not dock in Port Canaveral because there was damage to the port and had to have shuttle buses to take us to Miami.

instead of a 7 day to St. Thomas and St. Maarten, we ended up just going to Cozumel.

We left Galveston heading to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios when a hurricane was brewing near the Cayman Islands. Ended up in Key West, Nassau and Freeport. After leaving Freeport and heading home, we had another hurricane following us!

I am guessing that the cruise company would have plenty of "outs" in the contract covering them against claims for this. However, from a consumer point of view it would really suck to be short-changed on what may be a once in a lifetime trip, even if it was for valid safety reasons.

I am now going to re-read the terms and conditions of my travel insurance policy to see what that has to say on the subject.

I am guessing that the cruise company would have plenty of "outs" in the contract covering them against claims for this. However, from a consumer point of view it would really suck to be short-changed on what may be a once in a lifetime trip, even if it was for valid safety reasons.

I am now going to re-read the terms and conditions of my travel insurance policy to see what that has to say on the subject.

All cruise lines have the right to change ports due to safety reasons

Much rather miss a port then be in a world of hurt at sea

Edited by Vitamin_Sea

All cruise lines have the right to change ports due to safety reasons

Without a doubt. Hopefully the trending of the 5 to 7 day hurricane models continues and this will skirt the Virgin Is...perhaps avoiding them altogether. [emoji16]

- JPO

You have no claim if they change itinerary for safety reasons and you should be glad they do so.

Would you like to sail thru 75 ft winds and waves?

Our cruise coming up is 5 days - Miami - fun day at sea then - Grand Turk - Half Moon Cay - Nassau and back to Miami.

If we are unable to tender to HMC because of weather, is there any chance they would ended up going to Nassau and then Freeport and then Miami to make up for the loss of a day at HMC?

When we missed HMC in June, we just had a sea day.

We missed Roatan due to

civil unrest and ended up in Belize. This was prior to mahogany bay being open. We were supposed to dock in Coxen Hole. Other missed spots have always been sea days, but then were few and far between.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We're Floridians, so we specifically cruise during hurricane season. Fleeing a hurricane on a ship going somewhere else sure beats waiting for it to come and beat on us at home. ;)

The most inconvenient was when Port Canaveral was closed due to Hurricane Jeanne, and we were bused to Fort Lauderdale to board the Sovereign of the Seas. I'm sure the original itinerary changed, but we had electricity, bathrooms, hot food and cold beer, and great company of family and friends. I was in heaven after 'camping' in our house for a week after Frances. The fabulous marine guys (I don't know who they were) made their determination that the port was safe just in time for us to be the first ship back into Canaveral, so we didn't have to do the bus trip from hell on the way back as well.

The most famous one was... Hurricane Sandy on the Jewel of the Seas! We were held in Boston for two days before we were able to leave port. We had a giant Princess ship in front of us, a small fancy one behind us, and a cargo ship came in as well. We all had tugs holding us to the dock so that the ship didn't tear out the bollards. We were in the Windjammer all the way at the top as the storm passed over, and got to watch as the lights went out in Boston before the world disappeared behind a curtain of rain. We had almost everything scrambled, as we started two days late, and were running 'slow' because of the high seas. We had a great time, but did miss a couple ports.

The roughest weather we ever had was in a December storm heading south from Ft. Lauderdale on the Maasdam. We gave up and went to bed, because we were staggering around so badly. I almost brained myself trying to go to the bathroom... I got up off the toilet, and ended up slamming into the back of the bathroom door.

We've also had itineraries scrambled because of joining searches for folks lost overboard from other ships, medical emergencies, and various other things.

So... just be prepared to have a good time, wherever you end up. A smile is the best thing to pack!

Wendy

Last October I booked my 1st B2B on the Conquest. We were scheduled to do the eastern itinerary the 1st week, followed by the western. Due to a hurricane (accurately) forecast to hit San Juan and St Thomas as the Conquest approached those ports, the Captain made the decision before we even left Miami to scrub the entire eastern itin.

Several hundred pax objected, and they were allowed to get their luggage and depart the ship. Sail away was delayed for a few hours to allow them to leave, and then I was off to two weeks of the same western itinerary.

I've never had an entire itinerary changed, have missed ports and had ports rearranged.

Now last year there were some cruised scheduled for he Pacific Islands that ended up going to Tasmania due to a cyclone.

Now that's a big change, even your clothing needs would be radically different.

At least one cruise the decision wasn't made till at the dock.

I'm curious...if you've had a ship rerouted due to weather...where were you originally headed and where did you actually go???

I'm heading out of NOLA on the dream Sunday going to roatan, belize and cozumel.

It seems like a fun topic to chat about ��

Greta

In 2010 we were on NCL Sun from Dover England to Port Canaveral Florida taking the nothern routing. Because of severe storm weather near the Azores we had to skip our Ponte Delgado port stop to drop down to the southern route. Had a sea day instead of port, and was a bit choppy until we got out of the storm area.

Edited by NMLady

Our cruise coming up is 5 days - Miami - fun day at sea then - Grand Turk - Half Moon Cay - Nassau and back to Miami.

If we are unable to tender to HMC because of weather, is there any chance they would ended up going to Nassau and then Freeport and then Miami to make up for the loss of a day at HMC?

Yes, anything is possible. They are all docking ports where HMC is a tender port. When we missed HMC in June it was because the seas were a little choppy but it was sunny and warm. We couldn't feel it on the ship but the tender boats had a hard time. Hence we had a sea day.

In 2005 on our first cruise our ship, The Carnival Conquest, left from Galveston instead of New Orleans because Hurricane Katrina destroyed the Port of New Orleans.

On the way back we spent two extra days onboard because the Port Of Galveston closed due to Hurricane Rita. One of those days we docked at Costa Maya which was an extra port to our original itinerary. Best cruise we ever were on.