Sitka - best way for Natl Park, Fortress and St. Michael's church

glorialagos

We will have an 8 hour stop at Sitka and I am planning to do this on our own without an excursion. Could someone tell me how best to do these? And are they all possible in the time we will be there?

I understand Sitka is a tender port. I would like to visit the National Park and walk the loop, see the totem poles, visit the Visitor Center. I have seen that this is a 15 minute walk from the tender dock? Where do we go once we arrive at the dock?

I would also like to visit the Fortress of the Bears. I have seen two different shuttles mentioned - one that is Hop On Hop Off but somewhere else I saw a specific shuttle for $13 that takes you to the Fortress and that pays admission and shuttle. Which is best? A direct shuttle or the HOHO bus to visit other places also?

Then, if time and energy remain, St. Michael's Russian Church looks interesting to visit. Would this be on the HOHO route? Is it near the dock so we could visit and then walk back to the tender?

Are all three doable and what would be the best order and method of transportation for doing them? Thanks for any help from someone who has been there, done that! :)

Easy to do. From the tender dock to the National Forest walk to the right. It is an easy walk. As you walk back I would suggest a stop at the Russian Bishop's house. The church is to the left from the tender dock, just a few minutes.

I'm not sure that fortress of the bears is worth the effort to get there. It is an abandoned waste water treatment facility and there are a few bears in round concrete areas. Very rustic, but a relatively long way to go of what you see. We were there with a tour so I can't suggest how to get there.

You might also want to consider the raptor center.

With an 8 hour stop you have plenty of time to get all of this in without any trouble.

As mentioned, it is easy to walk to the church and National Park. Take a totem guide with you for the loop trail. It is a right turn, keep walking along the marina. There are shuttle buses to Fortress of the Bears. http://www.fortressofthebear.org/your-visit

With your full day in Sitka- you may also want to include the Raptor Center, which is up the hill from the National Park.

There is also a loop shuttle to of the downtown areas. http://www.sitka.org/listings/index.cfm?action=display&listingID=171&menuID=67&hit=1

If you have the senior national parks pass, both the totem park and the Bishop's house will be free for up to 4 people. The Sheldon Jackson museum is between the two on your walk, and has a marvelous collection of early native artifacts. We also enjoyed the raptor center.

Sorry - did not mean to post so continuing. . .

We will be in Sitka on September 10 so in about 3 weeks. Does anyone know if the slides will affect the itinerary? Will cruises continue to stop there? Does this affect the areas of the different tourist sites?

I appreciate everyone's help so far and, again, my thoughts are with those who have been in harm's way.