Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay??

aflyingbuttress

Can anyone tell me what is at Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay for those who don't purchase shore excursions? Can we just get off the ship and go swimming at the beach? Is there food and do we have to pay for it?

My itinerary has the picture below under the explore this port button for Grand Turk and I'm wondering if this place is an excursion locale or if this is there for the Cruise passengers?

image.jpg.6f2f585b88e16b3a4e23c8e50ce0022c.jpg

Half Moon Cay is a Carnival Corporation owned island, you get tendered to the island, and play in the water, and enjoy the beach, and wander the paths, and lunch is a buffet picnic. You don't have to pay for anything, unless you order drinks, or do an excursion.

Grand Turk is an island, BUT, if you don't want to pay for anything, you simply walk down the pier, turn left and plop your butt in the sand. Snorkel, swim, walk the beach, and check out the pool at the pier. Or you can choose to do an excursion and see some of the island.

Both ports are great if you love beach, and don't want to spend any money. At Grand Turk, get back on the ship for lunch. I would also recommend wearing water shoes at Grand Turk, but you will never have sand as soft as HMC. If these are your ports, have a wonderful time.!

The pic looks like Margaritaville in Grand Turk. We sat there for several hours our last trip, but bought food and drink. At half moon Caye the beach is your playground, but there is a charge for floats or gear. There is a buffet lunch that is complementary, and we were able to use our bottomless bubbles on shore there... Also water and lemonade available for free, probably tea as well, I just don't remember drinking any.... Hope it helps....

Edited by ashevillenccruiser

Grand Turk------- Your ship will dock right next to the beach. Just walk off and into a beach chair. Theres also a Margarettaville within walking distance from the beach. They have a huge wading pool, food, drinks and music. If two ships are in port, it gets a bit crowded.

HMC---------------Half Moon Cay is Carnivals private island. You will be tendered to and from. On the beach you will find lounge chairs. Theres a pirate ship where you can buy drinks. Carnival provides a buffett, no cost. Beware, theres not much shade, bring sun screen. If you like the beach, you will love this place.

I love them both!! If your cruising on a budget those at 2 great stops! Half moon cay is great! Nice beach, free food... I consider it a free beach day and enjoy it to the max!!

Grand Turk is almost as good.. No free food but the beach is right there .. And if you'd rather swim in a pool margaritaville is right there and you can swim there for free too!. They have a 'flo rider' if you want to pay to learn how to surf.. I have pictures from grand Turk but for some reason I can't figure out how to upload them.

These sound great! Thanks for the excellent descriptions. I was really excited for this itinerary because I always find the shopping ports to be a bit of a bore and somewhat annoying to navigate. Not to mention immensely hot and no place to take a dip and cool off.

I never do shore excursions. I've never come across one that seemed worth the cost. I was hoping these two stops would allow me to just go jump in the water and I'm glad to read that I can do just that!!

HMC---------------Beware, theres not much shade, bring sun screen. If you like the beach, you will love this place.

I love the beach and can't wait to lounge around and go in the water. However, I'm traveling with a 3 year old and a pasty white DH that sweats buckets in 70 degree weather and burns as if he took a nap right on the surface of the Sun itself.

Any thoughts about how to nab shade? Do we need to be the first off the boat? How early do people start lining up to get off the ship? Is it possible to buy or rent an umbrella, or bring one from home?

I love the beach and can't wait to lounge around and go in the water. However, I'm traveling with a 3 year old and a pasty white DH that sweats buckets in 70 degree weather and burns as if he took a nap right on the surface of the Sun itself.

Any thoughts about how to nab shade? Do we need to be the first off the boat? How early do people start lining up to get off the ship? Is it possible to buy or rent an umbrella, or bring one from home?

You can rent a clamshell, or if they are still available, I highly recommend a cabana. It's our splurge on the trip.

You get priority tendering, a ride to your cabana, fruit and melon and pineapple, chips and salsa and guac, 8 cans if pop, 4 float mats, 4 sets of snorkel gear, 2 PADDED loungers, table with four chairs, fan with mister, AC unit, cooler with ice, shower.

We love the privacy and shade too.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

You can rent a clamshell, or if they are still available, I highly recommend a cabana. It's our splurge on the trip.

You get priority tendering, a ride to your cabana, fruit and melon and pineapple, chips and salsa and guac, 8 cans if pop, 4 float mats, 4 sets of snorkel gear, 2 PADDED loungers, table with four chairs, fan with mister, AC unit, cooler with ice, shower.

That actually sounds quite amazing! I was considering it before but I didn't realize it had all that.

I keep coming up with more questions for you. Can we bring unopened cans of pop back to the ship?

That actually sounds quite amazing! I was considering it before but I didn't realize it had all that.

Best money we spend in a cruise. When I booked our upcoming November cruise, the first question I got was, "we got a cabana, right?"

We are usually in the first tender over and the last one back. I could happily spend the whole cruise there.

You can rent a clamshell, or if they are still available,

Where/How do you rent a clamshell? How much are they?

We have FTTF, so I would think if we have to rent when we get ashore there would be a clamshell available.

Where/How do you rent a clamshell? How much are they?

We have FTTF, so I would think if we have to rent when we get ashore there would be a clamshell available.

You rent them at the water sports area. There are lots available if you go early. I think they are 30 or so, but am not 100% sure as we get a cabana.

If you do a search for half moon cay map, it will have the water sports rental area shown.

Rent a cabana on half moon, it's only $19.95 with two chairs and you will be out of the sun!

Can I rent one now and change my mind later? Or will I not be able to cancel? Will i be asked to pay right away?

Yup, its an excursion on the website. You will pay when you choose it, but you can cancel it and get a refund. (Obc I think)

Looks like the cabanas are all sold out for my trip! Boo hoo!

Keep checking, you might get lucky, also check w the excursion desk when you get onboard, they have a wait list, so if someone cancels at the last minute....

Keep checking, you might get lucky, also check w the excursion desk when you get onboard, they have a wait list, so if someone cancels at the last minute....

Great tip! Thanks. I'll do that or make sure I get there early enough to get a clamshell.