Early Saver booking, guest can't go

NoDayButToday

I know this has been covered before, but I can't seem to find a thread that answers the question right now, so I'm sorry for the repost.

My family is taking a cruise on the Conquest next year. Everyone is booked early saver, including my sister and her boyfriend. They have been together for over 5 years so everyone considered them to be a safe bet to go and still be together. Well, she texted me last night that she thinks they are breaking up. Of course we are upset about the breakup, but we are also thinking about the upcoming cruise and how to handle that. Is there any way that she could change the name on the booking? She is the primary name on the booking and I know it wouldn't be without fees, but is there any option at all for him to not have to go or would it just be we buy him out on his part, she sails solo and he just "doesn't show up" at the port. We are still about 3 months from final payment right now too, if that matters at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this has been covered before, but I can't seem to find a thread that answers the question right now, so I'm sorry for the repost.

My family is taking a cruise on the Conquest next year. Everyone is booked early saver, including my sister and her boyfriend. They have been together for over 5 years so everyone considered them to be a safe bet to go and still be together. Well, she texted me last night that she thinks they are breaking up. Of course we are upset about the breakup, but we are also thinking about the upcoming cruise and how to handle that. Is there any way that she could change the name on the booking? She is the primary name on the booking and I know it wouldn't be without fees, but is there any option at all for him to not have to go or would it just be we buy him out on his part, she sails solo and he just "doesn't show up" at the port. We are still about 3 months from final payment right now too, if that matters at all.

You have about 3 months before you have to make a decision.

I suggest you wait until you know what is what and then come back for options.

You can change the name on the booking for $50 up until the day before the cruise. A no show is subject to loss of fare and possible penalty, although I have never seen or heard of anyone being penalized outside of just losing what you have paid.

You can change the name on the booking for $50 up until the day before the cruise. A no show is subject to loss of fare and possible penalty, although I have never seen or heard of anyone being penalized outside of just losing what you have paid.

Have they changed the rules for ES that there are no name changes allowed?

Bill

I am pretty sure name changes are not allowed and it is not transferable. She can't even cancel and eat the $50 charge and rebook, because with early saver you can only apply it to a different ship/sail date - you can't rebook the same one.

I would contact Carnival directly to confirm - but I am 99.9% certain I have seen "no name changes" expressed in the rules.

If it doesn't work out between them, I would just tell her to go by herself and cancel him off the reservation. You should just be able to cancel him and she can have the room to herself... won't save you any money to speak of though.

I am pretty sure name changes are not allowed and it is not transferable. She can't even cancel and eat the $50 charge and rebook, because with early saver you can only apply it to a different ship/sail date - you can't rebook the same one.

I would contact Carnival directly to confirm - but I am 99.9% certain I have seen "no name changes" expressed in the rules.

If it doesn't work out between them, I would just tell her to go by herself and cancel him off the reservation. You should just be able to cancel him and she can have the room to herself... won't save you any money to speak of though.

Better for him to be a no-show rather than cancel him off the booking. If he wants his money back, then they could just buy him out. If he's a no-show, he'd still get taxes & fees returned.

Edited by Sparky2

We have added someone to early saver after my son decided he wanted to go. Since final payment hasn't happened yet could she add a third person then have the BF cancel and loose the $50 and his deposit could remain in his name for 2 years?

Absolutely incorrect information.

Maybe just add a third person to the room for extra $$$ if she doesn't want to go alone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

This might not be a terrible option right now. They are having the more=merrier sale right now and I was able to add a 3rd through my TA for only $10 more (plus taxes and fees of course). However, that's a decision that would have to be made soon.

Better for him to be a no-show rather than cancel him off the booking. If he wants his money back, then they could just buy him out. If he's a no-show, he'd still get taxes & fees returned.

Sparky2 - good point... I was thinking like a girl when I said cancel him off, and if I just broke up with him I wouldn't go out of my way to see he got any of his money back :D:D:D:D:D

He can not be cancelled under the early saver program- He can ask that the deposit be sent to another sailing that they must take within the year.

He loses his deposit if he knows now he doesnt want to go vs loses the whole thing.

You can book a 3rd person in the room to cut down the solo supplement

I had 3 cabins booked on the Carnival Magic in March this year a family cruise. I had placed all 3 deposits on my CC. One of my daughters and her BF canceled. I called Carnival the day before final payment was due, 23 Dec 14.

The 2 people that canceled cost me $50 each, taken from the deposit. The remaining balance of $200 was held for my use on a future cruise. My CC on the deposit, my cruise credit. Note, the credit is for a future cruise. You can not use it for someone else on this cruise.

If your sister's BF paid his own deposit, he'll have the credit in his name, less the $50 fee. If you, sis or someone else paid the deposit, that person gets the future credit, UNLESS you booked through a TA. With a TA, I've heard that future credit goes to the cancelling pax no matter who actually paid the TA.

Your sis can move into another cabin or book someone else in her cabin at current fares, I believe. If you cancel the BF, I think Carnival will ask for the single supplement from sis to sail alone.

If you don't cancel the BF and pay his full fare, then he's a no-show, you might get back taxes and port fees. I'm not sure anyone can predict exactly what the result would be on boarding day.

Did you book through a travel agent? IMO, you have more flexibility by booking with CCL direct. If you used a TA, Carnival won't talk to you. If you can, call Carnival direct and see what they suggest you do. If using a TA, have them call to find out what your options are.

He can not be cancelled under the early saver program- He can ask that the deposit be sent to another sailing that they must take within the year.

He loses his deposit if he knows now he doesnt want to go vs loses the whole thing.

You can book a 3rd person in the room to cut down the solo supplement

I thought you had up to two years to take a cruise with remaining balance?

Bill

Thanks, we booked through Carnival directly and they are booked in a 1a (one of the ones on the Conquest where it actually has 2 twin beds that can be pushed together), so booking a 3rd person in wouldn't be an option. I'm hoping it works out between them, but if not I don't want her to be stuck in a room with him if she doesn't want to be there. Hopefully Carnival will be able to help her should it come to that.

and what if you do cancel him and have someone else take his place..... and they get back together??? or dont even break up in the first place........

Exactly, which is why I said wait till closer to final payment. Nothing will change between now and then in regards to the cruise.

BTW op, lots of bad info on this thread.

As for the name change, rules of early saver says no, but some have done it, in any case, if he is cancelled he loses $50 and the rest of the deposit will be held for up to 2 years.

Thanks, we booked through Carnival directly and they are booked in a 1a (one of the ones on the Conquest where it actually has 2 twin beds that can be pushed together), so booking a 3rd person in wouldn't be an option. I'm hoping it works out between them, but if not I don't want her to be stuck in a room with him if she doesn't want to be there. Hopefully Carnival will be able to help her should it come to that.

As someone else mentioned, nothing changes between now and final payment date. So you have, as you said, 3 months to decide. Since you booked directly I'd call now and see what Carnival says your options are. She should be able to cancel BF and add someone else at current rates any time up to final payment. The $50 fee to remove the BF and a new $250 deposit would be required for the new person.

I had 3 cabins booked on the Carnival Magic in March this year a family cruise. I had placed all 3 deposits on my CC. One of my daughters and her BF canceled. I called Carnival the day before final payment was due, 23 Dec 14.

The 2 people that canceled cost me $50 each, taken from the deposit. The remaining balance of $200 was held for my use on a future cruise. My CC on the deposit, my cruise credit. Note, the credit is for a future cruise. You can not use it for someone else on this cruise.

If your sister's BF paid his own deposit, he'll have the credit in his name, less the $50 fee. If you, sis or someone else paid the deposit, that person gets the future credit, UNLESS you booked through a TA. With a TA, I've heard that future credit goes to the cancelling pax no matter who actually paid the TA.

Your sis can move into another cabin or book someone else in her cabin at current fares, I believe. If you cancel the BF, I think Carnival will ask for the single supplement from sis to sail alone.

If you don't cancel the BF and pay his full fare, then he's a no-show, you might get back taxes and port fees. I'm not sure anyone can predict exactly what the result would be on boarding day.

Did you book through a travel agent? IMO, you have more flexibility by booking with CCL direct. If you used a TA, Carnival won't talk to you. If you can, call Carnival direct and see what they suggest you do. If using a TA, have them call to find out what your options are.

I am in a similar situation. My DD and her BF are booked on our next cruise in a cabin with their daughter. The BF has yet to book time off and probable won't be able to go. The reduced deposit ($50) was paid by my CC and the balance of the cabin was also paid on my CC (paid early to save on the exchange). When I look to see what the penalty is for cancelling it's only $50. Does that mean the balance would be a credit back to my CC or on-board credit for the cabin or future cruise credit in my name?

I changed who i was bringing on early saver and I had to pay 50.00 to change name. It was put as administration fee on bill. That was this January. I'd call into carnival and see rules vs asking bunch of people who swear they are right but all have different answers. Save time and get actual answer from company

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk