Cuban Cigars can we...

mousey

legally buy them now and bring them back to the U.S.? Our embassy in Cuba is open for business so I was wondering if that means we may now purchase Cuban products legally. I would love to bring some back for my dad who used to love his Cubans.

I'll be traveling on the Miracle in December to the Mexican Riviera where I know they sell Cuban cigars because the DH and BIL used to have one when we visited him at his timeshare. They never attempted to bring any back into the U.S. though.

I wish the BIL were alive now so that he could bring some back for himself if they are now allowing it.

legally buy them now and bring them back to the U.S.? Our embassy in Cuba is open for business so I was wondering if that means we may now purchase Cuban products legally. I would love to bring some back for my dad who used to love his Cubans.

I'll be traveling on the Miracle in December to the Mexican Riviera where I know they sell Cuban cigars because the DH and BIL used to have one when we visited him at his timeshare. They never attempted to bring any back into the U.S. though.

I wish the BIL were alive now so that he could bring some back for himself if they are now allowing it.

Just because the US now has an embassy in Cuba does not equate with all the trade embargoes being removed.

Thanks for your responses. Sorry to hear I can't bring Cuban cigars back from Cabo. I wanted one for dad...he turns 90 in Oct. and I was hoping to bring this back as a late Christmas surprise for him. Oh well, maybe next time. I have fond memories of him smoking his Cubans back in the day. We're from FL and back in the 50s Cuban cigars were all over the place. My dad's father, my grandfather, actually worked in a cigar factory in Tampa for many years. Yep, I remember those days and just wanted to give my dad a little throwback surprise. He probably wouldn't smoke it as he stopped smoking decades ago but I thought it would be fun to bring one back for him.

Edited by mousey

Chances are the Cuban cigars you find will be knock offs.

Even if they are real a lot (if not most) cigar experts of which I am not say Cuban cigar prices are expensive now because of exclusivity and not quality. So don't buy just because it's Cuban as the best probably come from other countries.

Thanks for your responses. Sorry to hear I can't bring Cuban cigars back from Cabo. I wanted one for dad...he turns 90 in Oct. and I was hoping to bring this back as a late Christmas surprise for him. Oh well, maybe next time. I have fond memories of him smoking his Cubans back in the day. We're from FL and back in the 50s Cuban cigars were all over the place. My dad's father, my grandfather, actually worked in a cigar factory in Tampa for many years. Yep, I remember those days and just wanted to give my dad a little throwback surprise. He probably wouldn't smoke it as he stopped smoking decades ago but I thought it would be fun to bring one back for him.

If that's the reason then just do it. I have brought back several from cruises and land trips to Caribbean, Canada and Europe. I know some Customs agents and unless you have 1000 of them nothing is really going to happen except they get taken away. I would claim "I thought we could now" and act ignorant.

If that's the reason then just do it. I have brought back several from cruises and land trips to Caribbean, Canada and Europe. I know some Customs agents and unless you have 1000 of them nothing is really going to happen except they get taken away. I would claim "I thought we could now" and act ignorant.

This

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This

It's interesting to see how little integrity is left in the world these days. :(

OP, simply tell your father "I wish I could have brought you a Cuban cigar but it's still illegal to do so.". I'm sure he'll understand.

Edited by Out to sea!

It's interesting to see how little integrity is left in the world these days. :(

OP, simply tell your father "I wish I could have brought you a Cuban cigar but it's still illegal to do so.". I'm sure he'll understand.

Well you are wrong here... It is a perfectly valid thought that since we are resuming normal relations with Cuba that 1 cigar brought home is fine

I bet most Americans ....well those that know the embassy has reopened anyway....would now think its ok to visit there and bring cigars back

But since its still difficult to go there it is reasonable to think a Cuban cigar purchased in another port is ok to bring home

The cigar is nothing btw....have you noticed how many 30/40/50/60 year olds still talk and text while driving? How many surf the web at red lights?

That is lack of integrity....not to mention dangerous and illegal in most places.

A Cuban cigar is a joke and hurts no one....lung cancer notwithstanding but that's not the issue here

Btw ...a 90 yo would full well understand how insignificant bringing 1 Cuban cigar into the country is in the scheme of life....and would either said..." You should have just said you didn't realize"

Or

" no big deal but thanks for thinking of me"

Edited by luvtheships

From what I'm reading the trade embargo still has to lifted by Congress even though we have re-established diplomatic relations. Also, many Cuban cigars are being grown and processed in many other countries by family members who have fled Cuba so typical Cuban brands are no longer "Cuban via Cuba". It should be interesting to see how all the trademarks and brands are handled once the embargo is lifted and if pure Cuban Cigars will ever re-establish themselves.

And yes you may be able to find a good real Cuban at one of your ports of call if they are doing business with Cuba. I totally agree with the other poster who said just to buy a few and claim ignorance if stopped by customs...the worst that could happen would be that they would be confiscated. And I'm the last one to blast anyone's integrity over a few cigars.

Altidis, the largest tobacco company in the world, owning most of the Dominican made formerly Cuban branded cigars own a 50% stake in Habanos.... So once the embargo drops the only brands that there may be issue with would be those not owned by Altidis, with Cohiba being the biggest name, there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Altidis, the largest tobacco company in the world, owning most of the Dominican made formerly Cuban branded cigars own a 50% stake in Habanos.... So once the embargo drops the only brands that there may be issue with would be those not owned by Altidis, with Cohiba being the biggest name, there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So many different answers, posters are just giving their opinions. Just one or two right answers to the OP's question though.....here's what a google search resulted in yielding:

"The policy is restrictive. The embargo on Cuban goods is still intact, which means that imports from Cuba are illegal, for the most part. Authorized American travelers to Cuba, however, are allowed to bring $400 worth of goods—including up to $100 each of tobacco and alcohol products—back into the US. (As the New York Post notes, that’s two Cohiba Corono Especiales and three bottles of Havana Club, going by prices listed on Canadian websites.)"

So those who said it's now legal to bring back a cigar or two up to $100 worth from Cuba answered correctly.

Those who said you can bring back Cuban cigars from a typical cruise are incorrect.

Edited by evandbob

Well you are wrong here... It is a perfectly valid thought that since we are resuming normal relations with Cuba that 1 cigar brought home is fine

"Are resuming" is a far cry from "have resumed". The embassy has nothing to do with trade restrictions imposed by Congress. If there were any changes in trade restrictions I'm fairly sure it would be all over the news. Also, it has also been illegal to bring supposed Cuban cigars from anywhere other than Cuba (as the OP was thinking about) so what part of my statement is wrong? (answer: nothing....try again) :rolleyes:

I bet most Americans ....well those that know the embassy has reopened anyway....would now think its ok to visit there and bring cigars back

Most Americans haven't got a clue about what the laws are and a good portion couldn't care less about the laws as long as they can get away with what they want to do.

But since its still difficult to go there it is reasonable to think a Cuban cigar purchased in another port is ok to bring home.

That has been illegal since 1963.

The cigar is nothing btw....have you noticed how many 30/40/50/60 year olds still talk and text while driving? How many surf the web at red lights?

Refer back to my second answer.

That is lack of integrity....not to mention dangerous and illegal in most places.

I agree

A Cuban cigar is a joke and hurts no one....lung cancer notwithstanding but that's not the issue here.

You may consider it a joke but purchasing Cuban cigars provides money to a Communist regime so they can carry on with their evil(?) ways.

Btw ...a 90 yo would full well understand how insignificant bringing 1 Cuban cigar into the country is in the scheme of life....and would either said..." You should have just said you didn't realize"

1 or 1,000, still a violation of law.

Edited by Out to sea!

From what I'm reading the trade embargo still has to lifted by Congress even though we have re-established diplomatic relations. Also, many Cuban cigars are being grown and processed in many other countries by family members who have fled Cuba so typical Cuban brands are no longer "Cuban via Cuba". It should be interesting to see how all the trademarks and brands are handled once the embargo is lifted and if pure Cuban Cigars will ever re-establish themselves.

And yes you may be able to find a good real Cuban at one of your ports of call if they are doing business with Cuba. I totally agree with the other poster who said just to buy a few and claim ignorance if stopped by customs...the worst that could happen would be that they would be confiscated. And I'm the last one to blast anyone's integrity over a few cigars.

Assuming the trade embargo is lifted. Personally, I'm hoping that the next President closes the embassy back up and thumbs his nose at Castro.

So those who said it's now legal to bring back a cigar or two up to $100 worth from Cuba answered correctly.

That would be the correct answer for a different situation (cruise to Cuba and back). Since that is not the case, that is the incorrect answer for the situation put forth by the OP.

Edited by Out to sea!

That would be the correct answer for a different situation (cruise to Cuba and back). Since that is not the case, that is the incorrect answer for the situation put forth by the OP.

Except the context in which it was stated that it is legal to bring back $100 of Cuban cigars from Cuba was in contrast to bringing back "Cuban" cigars on a regular cruise that did not visit Cuba.

I was pointing out that difference, as you now are, so thanks for agreeing with me.

Except the context in which it was stated that it is legal to bring back $100 of Cuban cigars from Cuba was in contrast to bringing back "Cuban" cigars on a regular cruise that did not visit Cuba.

I was pointing out that difference, as you now are, so thanks for agreeing with me.

Yes, I agree that an authorized traveler to Cuba is allowed to bring back Cuban cigars. The problem is that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand. :rolleyes:

I believe all the cruises to Cuba are currently marketed as cultural or educational exchanges. I believe that's how they get around the travel and trade restrictions.

I appreciate and value everybody's opinion on ethics and legalities. Not sure bringing back 1 or 1000 Cuban cigars creates an ethical dilemma. But please lets not take this blog into that arena.

Personally, if it was my 90 year old grandfather and I knew how much he enjoyed his Cuban cigars. I would bring back enough so all the kids and grandkids could smoke with him. But that's my choice, not anybody else's.

Not withstanding the fact that Cuban cigars are highly overrated and not worth the price. The Montecristos I bought in Switzerland were reasonable priced and were excellent smokes.

It just goes to show how much kool aid everyone is drinking if you really think 1 cigar is so significant in the scheme of things

I'm more concerned about seeing another "first" in the oval

Office 😱

You want Hillary in office and you're talking about others drinking koolaid? What a hoot!!! :rolleyes: