Boston needs a new Ship

nativenewyorker

Where could a Boston cruise go on a 7 day run? Bermuda and Canada are all that's reachable within reason for a 7 day cruise. Dawn is a good ship. Any ship they would change with would make someone else unhappy. As long as the ships sail full they won't change without more of a reason than two or three people want a different ship.

I'd like to see a different ship out of Boston too. We've sailed both Carnival and the Dawn (several times) out of there. Frankly, I like Boston - cheaper to park and for us just a 2-3 hour drive to port. No air fees or hotels to add on. We have also sailed out of NYC, Baltimore, Fort Lauderdale, Miami and Port Canaveral, so we're comfortable at different ports. Just a little richer out of Boston!

I know they're limited in where they can get to but being somewhat mobility challenged, I'm slow so I don't mind travelling to Bermuda once a year since I can't see it all! As for Canada, I'm one of those odd ducks who realy likes cruising to Canada, so that'd be fine too. :)

And when the Dawn is not in Boston, it's in New Orleans and it's time for a different ship here too.

We've had the Spirit, Star and Jewel come here and just stay a year or two then swap around but the Dawn has been here for too many years.

They usually have the same shows on the same ships for a few years so if you went on that ship last year then this year it is the same old, same old.

Many people like to try something different so if Carnival changes ships here they sail Carnival instead just to do something different so it makes sense for them to exchange ports with the ships every couple of years.

I go on cruises from many different ports but most will be from my home port so I like the ships to rotate so we see different shows and experience the differences in the ships.

Boston should have a new ship. Dawn/Star are some of the older ships and their not even Jewel class ships. At least NYC has Gem & Breakaway...part of the reason I do travel to other ports. Almost chose Dawn for Bermuda cruise but I'd have much more to do on Breakaway plus my with my daughter I knew the entourage teen club on Breakaway would blow her mind. I'm not saying Dawn class aren't nice ships (I'm sailing Star next year) but at least gave a Jewel class ship to Boston.

We live in MA' date=' but have not limited ourselves to sailing just out of Boston, by any means (actually have only done that twice so far after taking 15 cruises), however, I also think it's time NCL puts another ship in Boston for the Bermuda & Canada runs. I'd like to see the GEM myself.[/quote']

Me too..that is what I am thinking. Love the Dawn and sailed her many times out of Boston and NY. Been on other lines and sailed out of different ports. Love to see a change of ship as well like why can't NCL put the Gem out of Boston for a while. What is the big deal. Maybe things that I can not understand but many from time to time have asked about this with no response on and off the ship.

Everyone is asking "why can't they" and nobody can explain "why should they". NCL'S suits will never be convinced without a valid business reason.

Since everyone in Boston is so "bored" with the Dawn, perhaps NCL should move her to Baltimore for a couple of seasons. Then everyone can go to NY where they'll have new choices....

I personally love the Dawn. We got hooked on the Boston to Bermuda cruise. Did that three times, the third time we were re-routed to the Bahamas, thank you Hurricane Gonzalo...Took the Dawn out of NOLA this past January and loved the 4 stop itinerary. Taking the Dawn out of NOLA this November (lots of pressure, we now have 12 of us traveling to NOLA from Boston for this cruise). And have booked Boston to Bermuda again for October, 2016. For me I love the familiarity of the ship. I know where everything is and the crew has always been great. Have there been a few hiccups? Yes, but nothing to ruin my vacation.

In my own opinion the Dawn is a great ship... and if i still lived in a place close to Boston it would be nice to sail on her. I have enjoyed the Dawn 4 times, mostly out of New York. Aside from maybe a repo cruise, there is nothing that is attractive itinerary-wise for us that would make us go to Boston to sail. Bermuda does not interest us any longer, and having grown up in New England, Canada/New England tours are not what I want to experience on vacation.

Does it need a new ship? Jewel class ships are really not that much different than Dawn/Star class when you come down to it, and frankly there isn't much of a business case for a mega ship to be brought to Boston. Of the recent choices of Spirit or Dawn, I'd take Dawn. If you are bored with the ship and not the itinerary, then I'd suggest a different port like New York that would offer you the same itinerary with a newer ship.

Now that we've moved to a place that is not close to any home port and involves travel of some sort to cruise whether we drive or fly, our attention goes to places and ships that can give us an interesting itinerary. More often than not, that means excluding ports like Boston and even New York in favor of Miami, Tampa and San Juan.